The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers l May 4, 7 p.m. l SNP | RINSE&REPEAT EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

56 minutes ago, mll said:

They were 31st in shots against but expected goals takes into account quality of shots.  The Canucks gave up the most slot shots and were also last in slot pass completion against.  That’s not perimetre saves.  

Sportlogiq is similar to SAP which is what teams use on the bench on the iPads.  They track the dots on the ice - puck and players.

CSA is even more elaborate.  They look at the full context of the play that leads to a shot on net like number of screens, passing plays, etc.  They have the historical conversion rate of any given play.  Demko was among the best goalies when taking environment into account.

listen you can throw random stats at me but unless you can provide a source all im going to say to you is. cool story bro.

i already proved how the one i gave a source for is complete random gobelty goop, just because they track the stat doesn't mean they are doing a good job of that.

could i be wrong that demko is not playing slightly better than average for a starter, yes. have you proved that? not yet. provide a  link where i can see if the stats are biased or show errors.

also this post is like 12 games ago for most teams, got anything up to date?

• RoughGame 1

9 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

A few shifts off for Miller would have sent a message. Lots of other coaches do this when it’s called for.Then you line up Big Mac beside Connie MacD and have him take McJeebus off his game. 

I think if you are over your head as a coach you have to pander to your stars or they will expose you and you loss the room/your job

Green cannot shorten his #1 PP or the shifts of Hughes and Miller because he has no better answers

Green has no track record of success as an NHL coach

his system is not proven 

he will live and die on his stars making him look good

3 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

no sir................

a expected  goalie stat that does not balance out is a useless stat. who are these goalies that are expected to make these saves? apparently its those 11 goalies?

241.59 goals unaccounted for. like i said poop soup.

you not understanding it doesn't make it bad. 

1 hour ago, Pears said:

You said he hasn’t shown he can be consistent, which is absolutely not the case at all. Without Demko we are easily dead last behind Buffalo. 

consistancy has not been Demko's strong suit

Observations from the first two periods (living in Toronto and baby on the way means adultng.... sigh...)

- Kole Lind is a breathe of fresh air. Showing good hockey IQ and energy. Only thing missing is offensive production but no one is producing so I can't be angry.

- Decent debut for Rathbone. Stopped a good two on one vs McDraisaitil and made a few food passes. Wished he actually played in the 3rd (based on TOI only as I didn't see the 3rd).

- Highmore looks like a great player on the 4th line and needs to be treated that way. I don't expect any offense from him wish baffles me seeing him playing with Boeser or Horvat. He's like Motte-lite but needs to stay on the 4th line.

- I've accepted that Vesey and Boyd shouldn't return next year. Fully understand that they are simply bodies for the lineup, but goes to show how much we're missing Sutter and Motte from the lineup.

- Miller is trying way too hard to be a game changer. For every great play he makes, there are 2 or 3 that bite back. Definitely missing Petey.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pears said:

You said he hasn’t shown he can be consistent, which is absolutely not the case at all. Without Demko we are easily dead last behind Buffalo. 

14/29 games demko has a lower than .900 sv percentage. but he does have 15 amazing games though. im actually really happy he plays like that. but he needs more lights out games to be considered elite.

phili has the most goals against and arguably the worst tenders. yet they have more wins than us. hockey is a team sport, you need offense, defense and goaltending. the most important stat is offense, than you can arguably say that goaltending and defense are of equal value. something like 40,30,30.

dominik hasek never won a cup before he got to a amazing team

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

I think we can all agree we didn’t expect to win much after the out-break no?

Why Does it come shock we are losing and why do we pummel the team into the ground with comments like the ones in this thread?

Look back at the comments when they were sick. A lot of sympathy, a lot of promises, a lot of no expectations.

Amazing 

My only issue with the losing is the 'nature' of the losing.

Yes, outbreak, and yes, we weren't particularly good even before it. But the exact same mistakes are being made game in, game out. Our special teams is atrocious and the structure isn't sound. There's insufficient pushback physically even when "we are losing" - if it's a quasi playoff series and you're getting bounced in a game, make the other team *feel* it, so next time you play they've got their heads up a bit more rather than just walk you consistently. 

This Canucks team is not fast, not physical, not smart, not defensive, not offensive. They have zero identity, they're just skating around seemingly 'okay' with losing. The exact thing a team wants to avoid, lest you become like Buffalo.

We have 'access' to 26 roster players, some of who were never sick. There should be ample time on ice for guys who are in good shape, and managed minutes for those who clearly aren't. If guys like 'Miller' look tired (read: aren't playing well or are lazy) they can have a seat, let somebody who has the energy to play take the spot for 5-6 shifts until 'Miller' feels better and wants to get back out there and play properly.

Green really seems to bench the rookies a lot, and if a 'star' isn't quite right they get more ice to 'fix it'. Had enough of that lack of accountability for some.

11 minutes ago, therodigy said:

Observations from the first two periods (living in Toronto and baby on the way means adultng.... sigh...)

- Kole Lind is a breathe of fresh air. Showing good hockey IQ and energy. Only thing missing is offensive production but no one is producing so I can't be angry.

- Decent debut for Rathbone. Stopped a good two on one vs McDraisaitil and made a few food passes. Wished he actually played in the 3rd (based on TOI only as I didn't see the 3rd).

- Highmore looks like a great player on the 4th line and needs to be treated that way. I don't expect any offense from him wish baffles me seeing him playing with Boeser or Horvat. He's like Motte-lite but needs to stay on the 4th line.

- I've accepted that Vesey and Boyd shouldn't return next year. Fully understand that they are simply bodies for the lineup, but goes to show how much we're missing Sutter and Motte from the lineup.

- Miller is trying way too hard to be a game changer. For every great play he makes, there are 2 or 3 that bite back. Definitely missing Petey.

Very good synopsis - well done and thank you.

1 hour ago, Petey_BOI said:

well most of my posts i have been arguing he has been playing slightly better than average (for a starter), you just cherry picked the post i put the least amount of effort into.

am i a good guy again?

i "cherrypicked" the one post i got a notification for because you replied directly to me? Slightly better than average but dominated the division (and the league statistically) for a calendar month. I would love to know what you consider average. Demko has been inconsistent but when he has been on, has been a Vezina contender. It was just so short-lived due to covid that it hasn't gained any traction. It is what it is. He's proved to everybody that he's an elite goaltender and a unanimous starter for next season. I don't consider that average. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

listen you can throw random stats at me but unless you can provide a source all im going to say to you is. cool story bro.

i already proved how the one i gave a source for is complete random gobelty goop, just because they track the stat doesn't mean they are doing a good job of that.

could i be wrong that demko is not playing slightly better than average for a starter, yes. have you proved that? not yet. provide a  link where i can see if the stats are biased or show errors.

also this post is like 12 games ago for most teams, got anything up to date?

Sportlogiq is tracking technology.  They use video tracking to follow puck and player on the ice.  You can find the different numbers under the website Logiqbets and learn more on them here. 

CSA is proprietary information.  It’s advanced tracking where they look at the complete play sequence that leads to a shot on net including context.   Former goalie Valiquette is the founder of the company and will sometimes share either on twitter or MSG Network.   Kevin Woodley often uses their numbers.  Here’s Valiquette explaining briefly expected goals.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, johngould21 said:

NHL refereeing, no penalties called, but then they called one on the Oilers, kinda missed a call on the same play to the Canucks, then bam, the Oilers have a 5 on three. Three ticky tack calls either missed or blown, but, hey let's manage this game properly right?

I thought the Pearson call was ticky tack

but the Miller call was warranted

I do not undestand who Miller was not chosen a star  by the Oilers crew

12 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

We sucked all season …. Pre covid 

March 8-2-1 before losing to the jets and finishing the month 8-4-1

no we did not suck all season, most of it tho

6 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

March 8-2-1 before losing to the jets and finishing the month 8-4-1

no we did not suck all season, most of it tho

The hardest part of this forum is not reading negative posts.

It is reading made up negative bs posts.

Had it as my signature for a while:

If J.B. is so damn bad why do people feel the need to make stuff up?

Edited by gurn
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, tas said:

you not understanding it doesn't make it bad. 

oh i see......... you are correct. how clueless i am that the 28/89 goalies that make up the positive in a stat that should be zeroed out doesnt even come close.

and there is only 11/89 goalies that have a better gsax than gsaa. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. i smell microwaved fish

the positive only attribute for +146.9 gsax

the negative only attribute for -388.49 gsax

i guess the goalies that are expected to make those saves are in the khl or ahl?

i know the reason why the stat doesn't zero out, i wonder if you do? i'll give you a hint, the goals scored this year only factor in about 10-15% of the xga