The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers l May 6, 6 p.m. l SNP | ROAD TO 100 EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Have you SEEN the list of "essential" services?  It's a long one.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/info/essential-services

Ya, the list itself basically is a joke tbh. But I also see no viable reason a gm of a hockey team should be on a list like that in the first place. Hockey is not and should not be viewed as an essential service.

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

OJ will be on the team next season. He'll have to be along with Lind Graovac Rathbone Podkolzin..

Cap issues and Aqua likely wants to cut payroll to a few million below cap max after losing 10s of millions last 2 seasons...

We're going to have to have some rookies in lineup next season on this rebuilding team. 

Yeah, but as JB history indicates: he values having vets to mentor/shelter the young players and he doesn’t mind over paying for intangibles regardless of there on ice contributions.  So far hindsight has not been kind to his signing of these support type players - we’ll just have to wait until the off season is over and see which ones’ of our FA returns; also good chance JV is gone (but who really knows ?).   

Edited by ShawnAntoski

There shouldn't be any criticism on Benning considering he was given essential worker status.

However, what is ridiculous is terrible governing to give a hockey manager who can easily stay at home and work his job essential status. 

@debluvscanucks you should really read the long list you provided and compare it to the job of a general manager. The people on that list are undoubtedly essential - a hockey GM who can literally do every single portion of his job or delegate temporarily does not compare to the essential workers. 

The picture was weird though - no question. 

Edit: If you criticized Gaudette's wife for going grocery shopping after not leaving the country or being in any mandatory quarantine but think this is ok, that's hypocritical. (again, I don't think there's any issue with Benning doing something he was given permission to do)

Edited by Tom Sestito

8 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The guy who took multiple photos of Jim grocery shopping is deranged, plain and simple. It was extremely inappropriate & the post was uncomfortable to see. 

Cool, glad he considered essential. That’s a big relief. I wonder how we got into this mess in the first place. Have you lots anyone to this pandemic? Your thoughts may change on what is essential If you have, and scouting a hockey game, important as it may be, is far from essential. Him getting Groceries is essential, the cashier checking him out is essential and probably has yet to receive their vaccine. Cool Jim, go get those groceries you could have had delivered. 
I didn’t take those photos, but there he is.

• RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

The ‘Nucks are essential, at least for my sex life but I am happy to get tonight off.

your still alive, figured you died by now, hang in there trooper, seasons almost over.

Team got mad... that's good.

Mac showed why he should be playing all the time... he is good for the team's energy and spirit.  He hits and he's not afraid to start something... but notice he only does that when its smart.... drew a nice penalty.

And Hamonic showed the same energy.  It is important to hit Edmonton, that is the only way you stop them freewheeling.

Rathbone with a nice goal and some nice moves.

I thought the big difference was the poor goalkeeping by Koskinen which got Vancouver started... can't expect that every game but we'll take it.

I am always happy when Boeser scores... he has been a bright spot this year and showed he is definitely worth his contract.

If this team can get better offensive coaching and some creativity in the playmaking, there is no reason not to expect he can get over 30 goals consistently.

Nothing changes... the team won't make the playoffs and it is obviously better they lose than win when you consider draft position, but everyone needed a win.

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Apparently I’m an essential worker and I sell construction equipment. I mean other then hospitals and groceries stores. What truly is an essential worker? Can’t wait to see the other side of this pandemic. Being completely ignorant like anti masks Is one thing. Trying to get by with some sanity is another.

Thats why the term is kind of derogatory imo. Anything that feeds your kids and pays your rent is "essential" to someone.

Is it necessarily essential to society? No. But neither is a huge portion of that list, including wherever a GM of a hockey team fits in there.

• Cheers 3

25 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

Does anyone know a full list....

Petey

Millzy

Ox

Big Tuna

Eagle

Rooster

Suttsy ?

Myzie

Boes or Flow?

Demmer ?

Holts?

Hammer?

Hoagie ?

Bonesy

I can't remember hearing anything for Pearson, Beagle, or any of the waiver or TDL guys

I think Pearson is Pierce and Beagle is Beags? 

What a fun game to watch, and may only be 1 win but this is more like the Canucks we know and love. 

Edited by Dirtman

22 minutes ago, oldnews said:

yawn.  you spouted off about Lind and Hoglander  being over-rated - and tonight you're flip flopping onto Hoglander's bandwagon, fluffing him, fishbowl scouting, completely contradicting yourself -  in your usual completely overstated way. 

why should I bother reading, let alone quote all of it - it had nothing to do with the point.

you go from over the top fake homer to crap goggles google scout on a dime. 

your 'shame' game is impossible to take seriously.

I called Hoglander 3rd liner and I stand by it. The Team has a lot of injuries and needs to fill that top 6 winger spot. If not and Hoglander is still their in years to come the team will never advance.

Hoglander has good energy but lacks the Shot of a guy like Boeser or the Playmaking ability like Patterson and isn't well enough rounded or a center like Horvat. Problem is we already have a guy like Hoglander in our top 6 his name is Pearson who has a better defensive for check game. Even then I don't like Pearson at that position as I think He and Hoglander on a Third line would give the Canucks more depth. Here's hoping Podkolzin can step into a top 6 role next year but unlike most I think it will take time for him to adapt to the North American game But I do believe he has the tools to be a top 6 even knock Boeser out of his spot.

If you disagree with me give me your reasoning, otherwise you are just another guy who disagrees with some one for the sake of disagreeing. My stance hasn't changed I believe when people Call guy a top 6 player who really isn't have jus excepted that is the best the team can do. If I am proven wrong I will admit it you can even come back to me in 2 -3 years and tell me I am wrong. I would be glad to be wrong

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • RoughGame 1

30 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Bonesy, Huggy, Petey, Millsy....I’m starting to detect a pattern here.  I wish players would work a little harder on their nicknames. Such exciting players, such unimaginative names.

We use nicknames all the time between my friends/team mates down here in Australia. There has been some very creative stuff which makes us all laugh a lot, it can be as simple as what you wear to your first training session with the new team, ( we had a Austria guy play on our soccer team, he wore a shirt with the word Osmosis across the front so he instantly became "Aussie" he loved it) One friends last name is Ball, so he got balled "Bags" his older brother was "big bags" and his sister was "No Bags". My brother resembles Meatloaf in appearance so he is know as "The Loaf"

• Thanks 1