The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Sam Reinhart open to a trade back to West Coast

I'm a little confused as to why so many folk are still hot on Ristolainen. Forgive me if I'm wrong, as I haven't seen  a lot of Buffalo, but isn't Risto somewhat of a defensive nightmare? Outside of this season, his +/- is always amongst the very worst in the league. Is that really the guy we want to pair with Hughes or Rathbone?

1 hour ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Saw this proposal on Twitter a few minutes ago and thought it'd be interesting to see what people on CDC thought of it.

To Buffalo:

Schmidt

Eriksson 

2021 1st, 9OA

To Vancouver:

Reinhart

Ristolainen

Technically, the logistics work out and I'm not saying I think Buffalo would do it. I just thought it was one of the more interesting proposals in the Reinhart for 9th OA rumor mill.

Only thing is Risto is a downgrade in the d zone from Schmidt, and if you have Hughes/Rathbone on the back end there's probably going to be some rough nights.  If Hamonic doesn't return it gets even worse. 

• Cheers 2

32 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm a little confused as to why so many folk are still hot on Ristolainen. Forgive me if I'm wrong, as I haven't seen  a lot of Buffalo, but isn't Risto somewhat of a defensive nightmare? Outside of this season, his +/- is always amongst the very worst in the league. Is that really the guy we want to pair with Hughes or Rathbone?

New toy syndrome - good thing Shaw was hired !  

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

We just traded a first for miller which turned out to be one heck of a deal for us.

To many fans seem to put way too much value on a 1st round pick. Obviously if you have a top 3 pick and have a chance to draft a can't miss prospect that pick probably has more value than what you would trade it for but that also usually means the team sucks and is rebuilding, so it makes sense to keep the pick.

But if you are a team like the Nucks with a young core with tent poles at every position and feel by adding a piece that is able to contribute now then the pick becomes more valuable as currency IMO.

Since this is a Sam thread, trading the 9th for him just makes sense for both sides. The Sabres even tho they have been terrible for so long are a lot further away from contender status and must assume Sam bolts next season, we, on the other hand, is a place He would most likely be ecstatic to come to and we get a player who is entering his prime and we would be able to most likely sign him for cheaper than when he is a UFA if he were even to make it that far, considering he may get dealt somewhere else and stay put.

Even if in 3-5 years that pick turns into a superstar who cares since we know we are getting a player that will 100% make us better now as opposed to potentially wasting 3+ years of the core we have right now.

The only other viable player that I think would possibly fit here via UFA is RNH, who is older and will have multiple destinations to choose from driving up the price. 

my wishlist this summer is to add Sam, target an RHD via trade or UFA guys like Larrson, Alex Martinez who I believe plays both sides, or see what the cost would be to get Cernak out of TB, maybe with their cap situation and the fact they have Foote waiting might shake him loose but I doubt it.

Benning has a lot of options to open up 15+ million of cap through buyouts, LTIR, the ED draft, attaching a sweeter to either Rousell or LE, plus the 8-10 million left after Quinn and Petey get signed.

Most of  that extra cap he can create comes off the books next year anyway and isn't earmarked for much in the way of internal raises so anyone signed won't be taking up cap needed to re-sign anyone. Once JT, Horvat and Brock need new deals the cap hopefully starts to go up but even then I don't see massive raises for them to the point we would lose them.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

To many fans seem to put way too much value on a 1st round pick. Obviously if you have a top 3 pick and have a chance to draft a can't miss prospect that pick probably has more value than what you would trade it for but that also usually means the team sucks and is rebuilding, so it makes sense to keep the pick.

But if you are a team like the Nucks with a young core with tent poles at every position and feel by adding a piece that is able to contribute now then the pick becomes more valuable as currency IMO.

Since this is a Sam thread, trading the 9th for him just makes sense for both sides. The Sabres even tho they have been terrible for so long are a lot further away from contender status and must assume Sam bolts next season, we, on the other hand, is a place He would most likely be ecstatic to come to and we get a player who is entering his prime and we would be able to most likely sign him for cheaper than when he is a UFA if he were even to make it that far, considering he may get dealt somewhere else and stay put.

Even if in 3-5 years that pick turns into a superstar who cares since we know we are getting a player that will 100% make us better now as opposed to potentially wasting 3+ years of the core we have right now.

The only other viable player that I think would possibly fit here via UFA is RNH, who is older and will have multiple destinations to choose from driving up the price. 

my wishlist this summer is to add Sam, target an RHD via trade or UFA guys like Larrson, Alex Martinez who I believe plays both sides, or see what the cost would be to get Cernak out of TB, maybe with their cap situation and the fact they have Foote waiting might shake him loose but I doubt it.

Benning has a lot of options to open up 15+ million of cap through buyouts, LTIR, the ED draft, attaching a sweeter to either Rousell or LE, plus the 8-10 million left after Quinn and Petey get signed.

Most of  that extra cap he can create comes off the books next year anyway and isn't earmarked for much in the way of internal raises so anyone signed won't be taking up cap needed to re-sign anyone. Once JT, Horvat and Brock need new deals the cap hopefully starts to go up but even then I don't see massive raises for them to the point we would lose them.

Offseason is just beginning 

1 hour ago, Angry Goose said:

Only thing is Risto is a downgrade in the d zone from Schmidt, and if you have Hughes/Rathbone on the back end there's probably going to be some rough nights.  If Hamonic doesn't return it gets even worse. 

Thing with Risto is your hoping he plays better on a better team but I still think he is a downgrade on Nate and  basically plays the same style as Myers but a bit more offence but is worse defensively. Much rather just get Sam and target someone else to play with Hughes. Now if for some reason Benning chooses to expose Myers, Risto would make sense but that would be a big gamble considering Myers is the least of our worries but if Benning feels Risto will be a better fit than I trust Benning but having them both is completely redundant IMO and still leaves Quinn without a partner and as happy as I was with Hamonic, I don't see him as a long-term fit and as we saw last season, even when Hamonic was healthy Quinn played almost as much away from him than with him which IMO points to Green maybe doesn't think Hamomic can handle top minutes?

1 minute ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Thing with Risto is your hoping he plays better on a better team but I still think he is a downgrade on Nate and  basically plays the same style as Myers but a bit more offence but is worse defensively. Much rather just get Sam and target someone else to play with Hughes. Now if for some reason Benning chooses to expose Myers, Risto would make sense but that would be a big gamble considering Myers is the least of our worries but if Benning feels Risto will be a better fit than I trust Benning but having them both is completely redundant IMO and still leaves Quinn without a partner and as happy as I was with Hamonic, I don't see him as a long-term fit and as we saw last season, even when Hamonic was healthy Quinn played almost as much away from him than with him which IMO points to Green maybe doesn't think Hamomic can handle top minutes?

Sammy ain’t worth 9OA, and Risto isn’t nearly as good as Schmidt.  Maybe these guys are perennial losers because (you know) they are actually losers?  

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Offseason is just beginning 

This is gonna be a huge one for us, if Benning truly is going all in and created the cap-space we would have next year, we will potentially see the finished product of what Benning has envisioned. 

I support him so I'll either be eating crow if it's an utter fail or dishing out a little crow lol.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Sammy ain’t worth 9OA, and Risto isn’t nearly as good as Schmidt.  Maybe these guys are perennial losers because (you know) they are actually losers?  

Half agree. Sam is a top six at worst who just had a top line season on a terrible terrible Sabres team, he deserves no blame. Risto I completely agree with Schmidt is a far better player who I think rebounds next season. It's unfair to judge a guy who had no real camp and 19 games without a practise. He still put up the best numbers on the team defensively and let's be honest, I love Edler but he was really off the whole season.

• Cheers 2

On 6/16/2021 at 6:58 PM, fanfor42 said:

Buffalo is a dogs breakfast right now.  That has to be considered.  Reinhart has publically stated he wants out and would like to come here. Further WRT to Reinhart, did they have anyone on who coached him at NSWC? How about junior? How about anyone who knows him outside of the Buffalo organization? His dad is Paul Reinhart and his mom and dad live in West Van and Sam grew up playing for NSWC. There's a lot of good here - aside from one media hack slamming him.

Pretty shallow assessment there Deb.  

Not my assessment....I'm just relaying the information.  And that was a pretty strong statement for a guy covering things for decades...."top 5 all time".  

38 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

The defense a real puzzle.  

Do you go with on the left side:

Hughes

Rathbone

Edler

Juolevi

?

That leaves on the right side:

Meyers

Schmidt

So I think a mobile 2 way RH shot is a major priority.  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

This is gonna be a huge one for us, if Benning truly is going all in and created the cap-space we would have next year, we will potentially see the finished product of what Benning has envisioned. 

I support him so I'll either be eating crow if it's an utter fail or dishing out a little crow lol.

I get it but (imo) this is not the offseason to add; rather, I would argue, that it would be prudent to give Shaw a year with the roster and vice versa; once the current roster is well adapted to Shaws' or the new system, then add a player that would succeed in the system.  Probably best to see how the season would go before spending any assets or cap.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

What non playoff team puts a near PPG player on the 3rd line...

To become one!

Three really good lines are better than two. If you want to know how it could turn out having Miller on the third line, ask the Lightnings...

One could also play Miller’s line as second, having Horvat at third. 

• RoughGame 1

5 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I agree. Sure when theres a draft thats really loaded at the top with guys like mckinnon or croaby yeah of course you keep those high picks. Canucks are in a position where the 2 main targets that should be on their list like Clarke and Mctavish probably wont even be there. Sure we can draft Johnson and wait 2-3 years but if we trade this top 10 pick for cernak we should do it, even reinhart we should imo. We still have 7 draft picks if we trade our 1st to fill the cupboard but we need to either get a top 6 forward a 3C or a RHD with this asset the more i think of it. 

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, stawns said:

I do think if they deal the 9oa, it's for a young top 4 dman and not Reinhart

I don't see one available for trade that IMO fits better than Sam. The Jackets won't trade Seth extended for the 9th and the 9th is an overpay for a rental. I think some potential trades that could be of interest is Foote or Manson, but not for the 9th overall. Larrson or Savard could be UFA targets.