The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Honest Conversation With Those Who Still Support Management

Rate this topic

JohnTavares

Just now, Timråfan said:

I still count Sutter but you got I point.

I could have added Motte also as he wasn’t from the start

For all the bashing he took here on CDC we could really use a healthy Sutter to anchor the 3C, Dicky 4th line

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I must say that it’s very small of you to drag up a months old inactive thread and criticize those who made their beliefs known at the time. It’s also abundantly clear you have no desire whatsoever to have an actual discussion about the GM with others who feel differently then you. Instead you just want to bring up your own thread to credit yourself about how your opinion was/is the only right one and everyone else is blind if they don’t agree. At the same time you misrepresent the numerous posts made in this thread from the users who do like the GM. No one has stated JB is perfect, but that fact didn’t stop you from saying they did. I’ll state for the record that I still support Benning and can give my reasons why to continue the conversation, but that’s not what you actually want so I’ll just state my piece and leave you to your empty supposed victory thread. Have fun!

Have fun supporting Benning.

I've beat the horse dead already.  This thread was actually created BEFORE we made the trade for Garland and OEL.

Jim went all-in and this is the team he has to show for it... and you still believe in him? Jim Benning is a jesus-like figure here on CDC.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I’m less worried about management than I am about the owner.

Why the f is he having dinner with the players? Like he’s not helping the belief that he’s a meddling owner…

The best thing he can do is hire the right people and then step back. The fact that he’s that involved with the team is concerning. He’s not a hockey mind as much as he might think.

You're more worried about the owner having a coffee with his franchise player instead of the General Manager/Management team that has completely dropped the ball for the past 8 years?

Ok. Really shows where your priorities lie.

Edited by JohnTavares
  • Like 1
  • Wat 1

3 minutes ago, JohnTavares said:

You're more worried about the owner having a coffee with his franchise player instead of the General Manager/Management team that has completely dropped the ball for the past 8 years?

Ok. Really shows where your priorities lie.

No it shows that it doesn’t really matter who the manager is when the owner is that involved.

Probably the same reason Benning still has a job. The owner likes yes men and Benning is a good one.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No it shows that it doesn’t really matter who the manager is when the owner is that involved.

Probably the same reason Benning still has a job. The owner likes yes men and Benning is a good one.

We need to combine the powers of Jim Benning & Mike Gillis! 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You do know Franceso was the same owner of the Canucks when they were 60 minutes away from the cup right?

7 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm all for blowing up the team , but not before the current coaching staff and management group are gone. If we start moving guys like Boeser and Miller out while Green and Benning are still here I will lose my $&!#.

This is how how it will go down

Here is a re-enactment between 48MPHSlapShot and Aquaman regarding Benning and his staff and the Canucks dooming season and playoffs

(It is also the same re-enactment used by any of the management talking to some of our core players)

Edited by ba;;isticsports
  • Haha 2

I don't know what to think of Benning anymore. Maybe he was the brains behind Boston because the fact that he had any affiliation with Peter Chiarelli is kinda scary.

Benning critics don't give him enough credit for Hughs and Petterson. Hughs is a #3 over all pick in a 2018 redraft. Petterson is a #1 over all pick in a 2017 redraft. Plus he can get some mid range hockey trades done without looking like a total idiot.

But I dont like how his teams are coached. Which I think he has a hand in. This coach has been here long enough. And wasted enough of this season. That's one thing about Dave Nonis. He never gets enough credit for hiring Alain Vignault.

Funny article on Benning and Chia. I don't necessarily agree with it but there is some similarities.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/benning-canucks-continue-to-follow-the-path-of-chiarellis-oilers-4791316

2 hours ago, JohnTavares said:

You do know Franceso was the same owner of the Canucks when they were 60 minutes away from the cup right?

Yep and the same one who took what should have been a long window of challenging for the cup, and reduced it to a couple years.

Im quite aware of his “accomplishments”.

Benning's Strength:

Drafting

Weaknesses:

Management

His stubborn refusal to see that Green has lost the room, will cost him his job. 

I would not be suprised if both Benning and Green are turfed. It's more of a when than an if. 

I don't think we will see a GM appointed unless the Aqua's have been secretly interviewing candidates. 

Gear will probably be made Interm GM. Shaw will be interm coach. 

Hope to God Wiesbrod is turfed too. 

They will ride the season out with the temp guys. Then probably hire when the season ends. 

On 5/16/2021 at 11:12 PM, 73 Percent said:

I support JB because hes the best drafting GM we've ever had. I'm a firm believer that that is how you build a team. Build through the draft and supplement through FA and trades. 

I want to make a couple comments I dont agree with in your original post (cor the record I think it's well thought out and reasonable, unlike the typical &^@# managment content). 

You go on to criticize Benning for letting toffoli walk, then criticize him for retaing Pearson. Textbook contradiction. JB has his flaws. This isnt one of them. He learned from his mistake. Toffoli isnt a PPG guy. Hes having a year he wont repeat ever again. BOOK IT. if JB doesnt sign pearson all his haters come back and say he lost an asset when we acquired him and let him walk for nothing if he has a decent year. Toffoli played here for a couple months. LET IT GO HE WAS A RENTAL.

As for not trading Virtanen he was coming of a year that he would have been a 20g20a forward. He was supposed to be our toffoli this year. That didnt pan out due to jake being jake. This has nothing to do with JB. Like the Pearson/toffoli thing if we traded virt to keep tanev, and virt goes off and tanev played his regular 50 games (in an 82 game season) you criticize JB for that too. 

Theres no winning against a monday morning QB. Which is what you and many of JBs critics do.

Bad GMs are good at nothing (snow). Good Gms are good at a couple things (benning). Great GMs are good at everything (yzerman).  I support JB because hes a good JB albeit not great one.

wondering what the couple of things are Benning is good at?

Bad GMs are good at nothing (snow). Good Gms are good at a couple things (benning). Great GMs are good at everything (yzerman).  I support JB because hes a good JB albeit not great one.

So there has to be a rating between Bad and Good because if Benning seems to be only good in one thing (and he's not even great at it)

But your evaluation of what is a a great, good, or bad GM is misguided. It's not about drafting, signing, trading it's about one thing and one thing only ... results. 2 playoffs in 8 years is bad. 

I don't want to sound condescending but let's say you are a chef at an Italian restaurant. The chef makes great garlic bread or whatever sides they have in Italian food but the main dish (Pasta, Pizza, etc) is terrible and of the 8 times you made pasta only twice it was good. 

Benning is that Chef he can make good Garlic Bread but the Spaghetti is terrible most of the time.

You go on to criticize Benning for letting toffoli walk, then criticize him for retaing Pearson. Textbook contradiction. JB has his flaws. This isnt one of them. He learned from his mistake. Toffoli isnt a PPG guy. Hes having a year he wont repeat ever again. BOOK IT. if JB doesnt sign pearson all his haters come back and say he lost an asset when we acquired him and let him walk for nothing if he has a decent year. Toffoli played here for a couple months. LET IT GO HE WAS A RENTAL.

not really 

even looking at this season Toffoli has 12 pts in 20 games. Pearson 6 pts in 19 games. 

One is a Top 6 winger the other is a 3rd line Winger that can fill a 2nd line role if necessary. 

And both contracts expire the same time with Toffoli only making 1 million more. 

Edited by iinatcc

3 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Benning critics don't give him enough credit for Hughs and Petterson. Hughs is a #3 over all pick in a 2018 redraft. Petterson is a #1 over all pick in a 2017 redraft. Plus he can get some mid range hockey trades done without looking like a total idiot.

The thing about Benning's drafting. Is that being able to draft good players is the minimum prerequisite of what a GM needs to do. Most GM's on good teams have drafted as well, if not better, than Benning. So defending Benning based only on his drafting is already setting a low bar in evaluating the GM.

I think us fans have to be honest with Benning and the team here thinking Benning did a good job as a GM. 

4 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

I don't know what to think of Benning anymore. Maybe he was the brains behind Boston because the fact that he had any affiliation with Peter Chiarelli is kinda scary.

But I dont like how his teams are coached. Which I think he has a hand in. This coach has been here long enough. And wasted enough of this season. That's one thing about Dave Nonis. He never gets enough credit for hiring Alain Vignault.

Funny article on Benning and Chia. I don't necessarily agree with it but there is some similarities.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/benning-canucks-continue-to-follow-the-path-of-chiarellis-oilers-4791316

While all this sounds pretty, the reality NOW is that EP40 is playing like a late 4th/early 5th round player,  Boeser the same and Quinny was the 8th worst +/- player in the entire National Hockey league last year out of 907 players and hardly know how to play defence.  This team is full of incompatible players and has been on the skids for 8 long years under benning and getting worse by the day sitting in the basement of the league (again) and you expect me or anyone to buy into the Benning Propoganda BS ?????????

Really?   Give your head a shake! Please!

Benning and that inexperienced AHL coach must be TERMINATED ASAP and a proper rebuild initiated.

42 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

So there has to be a rating between Bad and Good because if Benning seems to be only good in one thing (and he's not even great at it)

But your evaluation of what is a a great, good, or bad GM is misguided. It's not about drafting, signing, trading it's about one thing and one thing only ... results. 2 playoffs in 8 years is bad. 

I don't want to sound condescending but let's say you are a chef at an Italian restaurant. The chef makes great garlic bread or whatever sides they have in Italian food but the main dish (Pasta, Pizza, etc) is terrible and of the 8 times you made pasta only twice it was good. 

Benning is that Chef he can make good Garlic Bread but the Spaghetti is terrible most of the time.

not really 

even looking at this season Toffoli has 12 pts in 20 games. Pearson 6 pts in 19 games. 

One is a Top 6 winger the other is a 3rd line Winger that can fill a 2nd line role if necessary. 

And both contracts expire the same time with Toffoli only making 1 million more. 

THIS WAS POSTED IN MAY

• Upvote 1