The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Calgary Flames | May 18, 2021 | 1 p.m. PT | SNP | PLAYOFF SERIES VS CALGARY EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

He is more of a franchise dmen than the kids in the draft he is crying over though. He is really on short on the defensive end which is teachable. He has elite NHL offensive skill and has years to put the defensive side together. 

Sure, so why do people push him to the front of the line as far as being THE NUMBER ONE D-MAN? It seems like the label is more important to some fans' egos than it is to the player or to the team. Let the kid play as the #3 d-man for a while. Yes, he'll be on the first unit powerplay, and yes he'll probably get lots of ice time when the face off is in the opposition end, but I'd not start him in the Canucks end of the ice unless it was absolutely necessary (for at least another season).

regards,  G.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Gollumpus said:

Sure, so why do people push him to the front of the line as far as being THE NUMBER ONE D-MAN? It seems like the label is more important to some fans' egos than it is to the player or to the team. Let the kid play as the #3 d-man for a while. Yes, he'll be on the first unit powerplay, and yes he'll probably get lots of ice time when the face off is in the opposition end, but I'd not start him in the Canucks end of the ice unless it was absolutely necessary (for at least another season).

regards,  G.

Because while he is not that NOW he will be soon, that is the trajectory of Elite Dmen, I have the same opinion of Makar despite him not being number one right now as well. And objectively speaking I do agree Makar>Hughes but both are elite potential dman. 

Me pointing it out on a message board does nothing for my ego nor does it affect their careers. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

The win means nothing to you.  It means a whole lot to the guys leaving the rink today....I guarantee you that.

Cool.  And they will feel great about that for the night.  
The fan base and the ticket buyers would probably appreciate a better shot at a better prospect than a couple minutes of good feels. No?   I know I would. 

Kinda like having a bad year and getting Petey instead of Lias Anderson.  Everyone knows if the Rangers has better position in the draft they were going to take Petey. 

I trust JB to be prepared and know who he should take.  I’d like the Canucks to have all the options they can.   
Im already over the fun of this win. 

• Vintage 3

1 minute ago, DontMessMe said:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/francesco-must-go?utm_campaign=p_lico+share-sheet&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=customer

Im just here for some good drama. The person who fundraised fire benning has started another one ahahahha

So maybe these clowns should save their money in their piggy banks and buy the team?  It's not theirs to decide on until then.  Sick of them.

• Cheers 4

Nice win.  I like the fight they are playing with.  

I figure we will pick 10 or 11.

I have 8 guys that I want in this draft

Power

Edvinsson

Hughes

Clark

Johnson

Eklund

Beniers

Guenther

I'm pretty sure we will get one of them at 10 or 11.  There are always a few surprises in the top 10, I could see Wallstedt, Cuelemans going higher than expected.  

19 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Saying Hughes is a franchise d-man right now is a dumb statement. He isn't. Give the kid a chance to figure a few more things out and then, yeah pile on all the pressure you want and hopefully he'll live up to your expectations.  

regards,  G.

Hughes is a franchise dman in the making. Makar is slightly ahead because of his stature and age but he also has warts in the dzone don’t kid yourself. We got a gem in Van. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Honestly, they should be ashamed for using a platform meant to help people in distress.  Not to fulfill someone's agenda and give them their 5 minutes of fame.  That's what these stupid banner campaigns are about....attention.

Someone should report them for abusing the system.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

Honestly, they should be ashamed for using a platform meant to help people in distress.  Not to fulfill someone's agenda and give them their 5 minutes of fame.  That's what that campaign is about....attention.

Someone should report them.

Its disgusting what gofundme has turned into. Shameful indeed.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Honestly, they should be ashamed for using a platform meant to help people in distress.  Not to fulfill someone's agenda and give them their 5 minutes of fame.  That's what these stupid banner campaigns are about....attention.

Someone should report them for abusing the system.

Imagine being so pathetic you make other people pay for your fire x name here banners over a city. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Because while he is not that NOW he will be soon, that is the trajectory of Elite Dmen, I have the same opinion of Makar despite him not being number one right now as well. And objectively speaking I do agree Makar>Hughes but both are elite potential dman. 

Me pointing it out on a message board does nothing for my ego nor does it affect their careers. 

Which is what is, and has been pointed out to you, he isn't a number one d-man yet. If anyone claims that he is at present (not saying you), then that is merely an indication that he is the player with the highest level of talent at that position on this team. This does not mean that he is a "number one d-man" in the traditional sense of the term. Put Hughes on most of the other teams in the league and he's very likely second pairing at best. 

Hit the release of the steam valve, Hughes will get to where he's going when he gets there.  :)

regards,  G.

5 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

regards,  G.

This is so accurate. To many time labels are thrown around to fit a narrative. 
Generational

Foundational

Franchise

Elite

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gollumpus said:

Which is what is, and has been pointed out to you, he isn't a number one d-man yet. If anyone claims that he is at present (not saying you), then that is merely an indication that he is the player with the highest level of talent at that position on this team. This does not mean that he is a "number one d-man" in the traditional sense of the term. Put Hughes on most of the other teams in the league and he's very likely second pairing at best. 

Hit the release of the steam valve, Hughes will get to where he's going when he gets there.  :)

regards,  G.

Say that to DeNiro who said he isn’t and wont be one because he’s to busy crying over spilled milk.