The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cheap Violence Getting Outa' Hand

Rate this topic

Won't bother listing the myriad examples. Every day I turn the pc on, check SNet & there are more bodies lying, and/or writhing on the ice in pain.

Just my imagination..or is it becoming worse than ever? Seems to be so many dirty plays.

Is it the added stress of this COVID yr on the players? Almost glad our young guys have a break to rest up. Things don't feel right this spring, & I'm concerned someone's gonna get killed before this rigged league wakes up. It has gotten outa' hand.

• Cheers 3

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Death of the enforcer.  The players have to ensure their own safety because the DOPS is too crooked to be trusted to do their job.  Either clean up the corruption and make honesty and integrity a priority, or get rid of the instigator penalty for defending a teammate. 

that plus the instigator rule is applied stupidly. 

Kadri's suspension sends a message, but then they let Wilson do what he wants this year. We need some A.I.  running player safety. 

• Cheers 2

They validate guys taking cheap shots, either when they're way ahead or way behind, and call it the aggressor "trying to get into their opponent's head/ setting the tone".
Add that to the "team toughness" mentality that's being preached when these dangerous hits happen and go uncalled and it's a recipe for a powder keg.  
Soon these teams will have penalty boxes full of players and all the stars will have been hunted by the other team such that it'd go back to scrappy hockey and whenever a guy gets hit hard (even if it's clean) teams will just try to tear each other's players limb from limb for the same of "justice".    

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Death of the enforcer.  The players have to ensure their own safety because the DOPS is too crooked to be trusted to do their job.  Either clean up the corruption and make honesty and integrity a priority, or get rid of the instigator penalty for defending a teammate. 

The other thing, including the death of the enforcer is, Buttman pushing expansion, made it possible for crap players who would never have played in the NHL. 

You cut back the teams to say, 24, and you eliminate 200 fringe players. 

Edit: Plus, the quality of play would improve immensely. 

Edited by BarnBurner
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Not to mention expansion + the 2 ref system opening up jobs for a LOT of refs who would have been ECHL refs 30 years ago.

That's another great point. Pushing for expansion, plus deterioration of talent, the death of the enforcer, and adding that extra, useless body on the ice is crippling this league. 

• Vintage 1

59 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

The other thing, including the death of the enforcer is, Buttman pushing expansion, made it possible for crap players who would never have played in the NHL. 

You cut back the teams to say, 24, and you eliminate 200 fringe players. 

Edit: Plus, the quality of play would improve immensely. 

Love to see this, but it won't happen. Too much money is involved. I doubt we'd get the league down to 28 to 30 teams let alone 24. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Love to see this, but it won't happen. Too much money is involved. I doubt we'd get the league down to 28 to 30 teams let alone 24. 

If anything we will see expansion to Europe.  

• Sad 1
  • Vintage 1

57 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s a violent game, that is a lot less violent than it used to be.  

Agree, might be as many cheap shots but for nasty violence I think not too far back to how Scott Stevens used to head hunt, Ciccarelli being lead away in hand cuffs...Chris Simon using his skate as a weapon, the Det/Avs Chris Draper craziness. 

Or our home team incidents including Bure's elbow, Mcsorley cracking Brash with his stick and of course Big Burt and his neck breaking punch...

18 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Agree, might be as many cheap shots but for nasty violence I think not too far back to how Scott Stevens used to head hunt, Ciccarelli being lead away in hand cuffs...Chris Simon using his skate as a weapon, the Det/Avs Chris Draper craziness. 

Or our home team incidents including Bure's elbow, Mcsorley cracking Brash with his stick and of course Big Burt and his neck breaking punch...

Stevens' hits, while devastating, were clean according to the rules at the time.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Stevens' his, while devastating, were clean according to the rules at the time.

Totally,

Was my fav for a while. Loved the Devils.

Just adding it to the idea of violence in the game.

He was an example for the old saying 'Keep your head up and stick on the ice'  and one of the reasons many guys didn't enter the zone cutting across the middle. 

• Like 2

Clean hits, and accidents happen. Sometimes players get tangled up and hit knee on knee, etc. I think was is stupid is when clearly a player tries to avoid hurting a player and accidentally does so, or even after a clean body or hip check. Some player thinks it's his job to fight him. That's just dumb. The instigator rule makes sure that players that take liberties and go out to hurt other players doesn't get punished. Which of course leads to more escalation. The instigator rule is instead of taking fighting out of the game is replacing it with cheap shots, plays that are causing injuries, and generally making it open season on some fringe NHL'er  going against a star player. 

I understand why the league put it in. But it's ramifications seem to me, that it's hurting, not helping. I'm not sure I want 1970's line brawls. But having a tough guy who can still play, and can beat the snot out of a cheap shot artist, might makes things easier on the talented players. And stop the headhunters, and slimeball players. 

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Totally,

Was my fav for a while. Loved the Devils.

Just adding it to the idea of violence in the game.

He was an example for the old saying 'Keep your head up and stick on the ice'  and one of the reasons many guys didn't enter the zone cutting across the middle. 

Love that kind of defenseman.  Pronger, Konstantinov, and Stevens would be repeat offenders today though.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 2