The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So - Who Should The Canucks Take At The Number 9 Spot?

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

12 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Here's my pipe dream scenario.  

Bettman: "Vancouver canucks trade their 9th overall pick to the Chicago Blackhawks for the Blackhawks 12th overall pick and their 62nd overall pick".  

Two picks later:  "Vancouver Canucks pick from khl SKA st.petersberg Fedor Svechkov!":towel:

We get a mid-late 2nd as well to recoup trading our 3rd. B)

One can dream... But again I'm good with whomever Benning and co pick.  More stoked with this draft just because there are so many differing views from.... Well everyone!  Going to make for some great entertainment!

Go canucks go!

Not sure I could live with the Blackhawks taking local boy Johnson and seeing him go on and be a star there.

Canucks fans would never let it go…

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not sure I could live with the Blackhawks taking local boy Johnson and seeing him go on and be a star there.

Yes indeed it could be short term pain for long-term gain sort of thing.  But to me we can win championships with Svechkov.  He makes everyone around him better.  Where as Johnson will rack up the points (in beautiful fashion) but will find it difficult in the post season.  However, again Benning knows best!

1 minute ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Yes indeed it could be short term pain for long-term gain sort of thing.  But to me we can win championships with Svechkov.  He makes everyone around him better.  Where as Johnson will rack up the points (in beautiful fashion) but will find it difficult in the post season.  However, again Benning knows best!

Yea I’m good with not taking the flashier player just like I’m good with taking Podz over Caufield.

It would still be tough though especially after the whole Virtanen debaucle.

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yea I’m good with not taking the flashier player just like I’m good with taking Podz over Caufield.

It would still be tough though especially after the whole Virtanen debaucle.

Well... It seems that benning isn't a fan favorite anyway... So might as well stay true to form and select who he thinks is the bpa for this team.  

I agree with you... Though Caulfield will probably turn out to be the flasher more points player... Podz will just be a Lion out there... 'King of the beasts!'.  Now could you imagine Svechkov drawing two defenders to him then last moment dishing a sweet saucer passes to a wide open Podz barrelln' straight for the net....  scaring the bejesus out of the tender.  Svechkov has size, can skate, can pass, isn't selfish... If anything, isn't selfish enough, high hockey IQ and already plays a very mature 200 foot game... What's not to love?!  The only risk I see is, will he sign after two years with SKA?  They tried hard to keep Podz... But Podz was committed frim the start and never wavered.  How is Fedor wired?  I assume Benning and co are doing their due diligence, so I my view if we don't take him it's because he's poses to much risk to want to stay in Russia.  We'll see soon enough!

6 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Well... It seems that benning isn't a fan favorite anyway... So might as well stay true to form and select who he thinks is the bpa for this team.  

I agree with you... Though Caulfield will probably turn out to be the flasher more points player... Podz will just be a Lion out there... 'King of the beasts!'.  Now could you imagine Svechkov drawing two defenders to him then last moment dishing a sweet saucer passes to a wide open Podz barrelln' straight for the net....  scaring the bejesus out of the tender.  Svechkov has size, can skate, can pass, isn't selfish... If anything, isn't selfish enough, high hockey IQ and already plays a very mature 200 foot game... What's not to love?!  The only risk I see is, will he sign after two years with SKA?  They tried hard to keep Podz... But Podz was committed frim the start and never wavered.  How is Fedor wired?  I assume Benning and co are doing their due diligence, so I my view if we don't take him it's because he's poses to much risk to want to stay in Russia.  We'll see soon enough!

Podz a lion hmm where have i heard that before^_^

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

I gotta admit I’m now firmly in the Svechkov camp as well for our first round pick if none of the big four defencemen are available. It was already known at the time Podkolzin was drafted that he had committed to the KHL for two years but I haven’t heard anything about Svechkov preferring to go that route.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Schmautzie said:

I gotta admit I’m now firmly in the Svechkov camp as well for our first round pick if none of the big four defencemen are available. It was already known at the time Podkolzin was drafted that he had committed to the KHL for two years but I haven’t heard anything about Svechkov preferring to go that route.

I believe Svechkov has committed to SKA for two years just like Podz.  I guess SKA bought out his contract from his previous team to get him in the their system.  This is considered unusual, as they don't usually chase after prospects.  SKA traditionally has a stacked team with a big budget to attract the best players.   Anyway, it looks as if Svechkov is taking the exact same path in the khl as Podz.  Hopefully better deployment then Podz though!

2 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

I believe Svechkov has committed to SKA for two years just like Podz.  I guess SKA bought out his contract from his previous team to get him in the their system.  This is considered unusual, as they don't usually chase after prospects.  SKA traditionally has a stacked team with a big budget to attract the best players.   Anyway, it looks as if Svechkov is taking the exact same path in the khl as Podz.  Hopefully better deployment then Podz though!

Yeah I just looked it up and he’s committed to the KHL through the 22-23 season. That makes me think MacTavish may be the better pick if available because he may be NHL ready by the start of 2022.

16 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I really hope the Canucks Draft Kent Johnson.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

I really hope the Canucks Draft Kent Johnson.

If he gets to us, for sure.  But he’s got the highest skill level in the draft, and is already 6’1, and still filling out.  He could easily go before we pick.  Elite skill and length.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

If he gets to us, for sure.  But he’s got the highest skill level in the draft, and is already 6’1, and still filling out.  He could easily go before we pick.  Elite skill and length.  

There was a rumour that Columbus is really high on him.

We’ll have to wait and see. Either way if Johnson goes before our pick it just increase the chances we get one of the defenseman.

• Cheers 2

We are solid in goal, but if he's available, I would draft Jesper Wallstedt.  The more I watch and read about him, he seems like the goalie equivalent of a "Generational Talent".  He just seems too good to pass up on.  Trade Demko in a couple of years when Wallstedt is ready.  Guess I'll keep my day job. ;)

Any love for Cole Sillinger? Nhl blood lines. Last year, was runner up to Dylan Guenther for whl rookie of the year (Guenther: 58gp, 26g, 33a, 59p, Sillinger: 48gp, 22g,31a,53p)

Guenther is 6'2", 175 pounds RW. Sillinger is 6'0" 200 pounds C. 

I understand that picking Sillinger would mean the Canucks passed up on someone higher ranked so its unlikely that he gets picked, but he could be someone a little under the radar based on the shortened season. 

• Like 1

Still hoping for Svechkov but will be okay with Johnson.  This could turn out like the 2018 draft in that Hughes (high skill, creativity and skating) fell to us, and I wanted Dobson but was happy Hughes was available.  Here I see that Johnson could very well be chosen earlier were as Svechkov is graded later than 10 by most mock drafts.

Of course I'm assuming Mctavish and all top 4 d will be gone by #9.