The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is the main position target the canucks need

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

10 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Yep I like quantity over quality. I believe two dman @ $5M are better than 1 dman @$10M.

Of course there are examples of me being wrong but I would look at depth vs a stud.

I would be looking at Bogosian very closely.

Yep. Bogo is a possibility....

I think Jamie Oleksiak would look pretty good on the Canucks' blueline as well. And if you want a bit of mean, Derek Forbort is also a UFA.

The team needs an all around top pairing RHD who can play a physical game and complement Hughes.

They also need a 3C but have the option of using EP, Miller, and Horvat all at center in which case they badly need an upgrade in skill, particularly playmaking, in at least one of the top 6 winger spots and 3rd line RW spots.

At forward, some combination of:

Hoglander-EP-Boeser

Upgrade-Miller-Podkolzin

Pearson-Horvat-Upgrade

Or

Miller-EP-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Podkolzin

Pearson-Upgrade-Upgrade

At D, some combination of:

Hughes-Upgrade

Juolevi-Schmidt

Rathbone-Myers

Or

Hughes-Hamonic

Upgrade-Schmidt

Juolevi/Rathbone-Myers

Seems to be the easiest ways to accomplish this.

What i see is that we have 4 dman under contract atm with hughes schmidt myers and rathbone. Is it great, not really but with better coaching and a full preseason its probably not as bad and wont be as it was last season(i hope).

this is why we have to nail that 3C spot as soon as possible imo. It has to be a good PK guy, a good skater and someone we really wanna build around who will most likely be playing with podkolzin. Sure we can spend money on defense but wouldnt next year be better for us to do that? I think it would be. 

this is why i think we need to get the guy we really want to be our 3c now and for the future is more important. We literally could sign chatfield, jouveli and bogosian for less than 4 million to be our bottom pair defenseman.

2 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

What i see is that we have 4 dman under contract atm with hughes schmidt myers and rathbone. Is it great, not really but with better coaching and a full preseason its probably not as bad and wont be as it was last season(i hope).

this is why we have to nail that 3C spot as soon as possible imo. It has to be a good PK guy, a good skater and someone we really wanna build around who will most likely be playing with podkolzin. Sure we can spend money on defense but wouldnt next year be better for us to do that? I think it would be. 

this is why i think we need to get the guy we really want to be our 3c now and for the future is more important. We literally could sign chatfield, jouveli and bogosian for less than 4 million to be our bottom pair defenseman.

I think 3C is important. It absolutely has to be a guy that can drive the line at both ends imo. Not a guy like Sutter who can shoot but doesnt make his line better. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Sutter doesnt use his linemates hes just terrible imo

Exactly.

I could actually see Sutter as a decent 4th line C gobbling up defensive minutes to allow a 3 scoring line top 9. With wingers like Motte (when healthy), Highmore, MacEwen, etc I could live with that. But only on a super cheap deal. I think Graovac as a 1 year placeholder is fine there too.

Main needs, taking expiring contracts into account, are RD and 3C, very much in that order.  This is just to ice a semi-credible team, not to contend.

Realistically, with Petey and Hughes about to get paid, we aren't going to have enough cap space for more than another player or two that comes in much above $2 mil.  Maybe nothing more than Hamonic and some replacement level players.  Perhaps another guy in Hamonic's range if Benning somehow manages to clear some cap. 

And that's a good thing.  With Shaw and some new systems in place for a year, management can assess personnel and make appropriate changes in 2022, when we really have some flexibility to make changes.  I don't think our D are quite as bad as they've looked, and that better systems, puck support and 5-man unit play might show them in a better light.  But we definitely need another RD for next year, whether that's Hamonic or someone else.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

We need primarily, right D and a 3C.

I'm hoping we're targeting guys like Mayfield, Foote etc ahead of the ED.

But we also have options with Hamonic, Larsson, Savard or on the cheaper side, Hakanpaa or Ceci via UFA.

Next summer is when we go after the big fish though IMO with guys like Parayko, Risto, Lindholm etc all available.

As for 3C, I was THRILLED to see CBJ extend Stenlund yesterday. Right now Capfriendly has him exposed but really, if you're re-something'ing Columbus, are you exposing the younger, cheaper, club controlled Stenlund or the older, soon to be expiring UFA Jenner?

Jenner for Roussel + Lind or a pick +/- please!

That would be very nice.

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

After the petey and quinn signings are signed sealed and delivered what is the number 1 thing Jim needs to focus on?

Personally to me i think we need to find that 3rd line center as soon as possible thru a trade. Not having a 3C atm is probably the most important piece we need. Someone who can play with podz, good at defense, can penalty kill. 

if we are going to replace edler and maybe hamonic i think its better to wait for UFAs. I think after reasing this forum most are comfortable to just bring back the same defense and improve it next offseason. 

-is it re-signing our UFAs

-focus on draft

-trade for a dman

-top 6 forward

watcha think

The question as to what the Canucks need most, positionally, is a complex one.

JB has assembled good pieces for this team to build around but, they seem scattered and lack clarity as to where they fit.

Acquiring Miller was a great move and he did solidify a top line that was able to lead this team in offense but, with Petey's injury last season, Miller's move to center seemed a seemless transition and he looked quite comfortable there. His season ending interview confirmed his desire to stay there and I have to agree. Imo, he should be our 3C.

However, this opens a hole at 1LW. The simple solution may be to move Hoglander to that position but, that leaves a hole at 2RW. 

Rumor has it, JB may be interested in Sam Reinhart but a first round pick is a nonstarter for me; not for one season of improved play. Too risky, in my opinion.

In fact, I am very intrigued by Mason McTavish at ninth over all ( if he's there). A big, physical offensive forward that can play center or LW. He still has work to do skillwise but, with proper development, he's projected, at the very least, a top nine forward with a very Horvat like skillset. We could certainly use that.

Unfortunately, JB has set a timeline for this team to succeed at two years. Given what we have, this, to me, seems a bit unrealistic and opens up the very real possibility of rash decisions and more bad moves. 

Our bottom six is a mess with bad contracts, aging players and ineffective players.

Our defense is, also, a big question mark.

We have some skilled, young defenders, no doubt but, there's very little cohesion and size is an issue. 

Hughes is a highly skilled offensive player but has very little defensive ability.

Rathbone is a smallish defensemen that I am more comfortable with due to his willingness to get involved defensively and not shy away from the physical side of the game. He may not be the prolific scorer that Hughes is but I see a more complete player in Rathbone.

Another concern is that all our skill on the blueline is on the left side leading to an imbalance on defense.

This is what I have for next season so far.

Hoglander               Petey               Boeser

Pearson                  Horvat                  ?

?                         Miller.               Podkolzin

Motte                         ?                       ? 

Hughes                      ?

Rathbone                  ?

Joulevi                    Myers

Demko

Imo, there are too many holes in this lineup to offer an opinion as to what we need most.

No matter what JB adds, it is needed. Center, winger, defensemen, we need it. My only hope is that the adds are determined by logic and not haste.

43 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

The question as to what the Canucks need most, positionally, is a complex one.

JB has assembled good pieces for this team to build around but, they seem scattered and lack clarity as to where they fit.

Acquiring Miller was a great move and he did solidify a top line that was able to lead this team in offense but, with Petey's injury last season, Miller's move to center seemed a seemless transition and he looked quite comfortable there. His season ending interview confirmed his desire to stay there and I have to agree. Imo, he should be our 3C.

However, this opens a hole at 1LW. The simple solution may be to move Hoglander to that position but, that leaves a hole at 2RW. 

Rumor has it, JB may be interested in Sam Reinhart but a first round pick is a nonstarter for me; not for one season of improved play. Too risky, in my opinion.

In fact, I am very intrigued by Mason McTavish at ninth over all ( if he's there). A big, physical offensive forward that can play center or LW. He still has work to do skillwise but, with proper development, he's projected, at the very least, a top nine forward with a very Horvat like skillset. We could certainly use that.

Unfortunately, JB has set a timeline for this team to succeed at two years. Given what we have, this, to me, seems a bit unrealistic and opens up the very real possibility of rash decisions and more bad moves. 

Our bottom six is a mess with bad contracts, aging players and ineffective players.

Our defense is, also, a big question mark.

We have some skilled, young defenders, no doubt but, there's very little cohesion and size is an issue. 

Hughes is a highly skilled offensive player but has very little defensive ability.

Rathbone is a smallish defensemen that I am more comfortable with due to his willingness to get involved defensively and not shy away from the physical side of the game. He may not be the prolific scorer that Hughes is but I see a more complete player in Rathbone.

Another concern is that all our skill on the blueline is on the left side leading to an imbalance on defense.

This is what I have for next season so far.

Hoglander               Petey               Boeser

Pearson                  Horvat                  ?

?                         Miller.               Podkolzin

Motte                         ?                       ? 

Hughes                      ?

Rathbone                  ?

Joulevi                    Myers

Demko

Imo, there are too many holes in this lineup to offer an opinion as to what we need most.

No matter what JB adds, it is needed. Center, winger, defensemen, we need it. My only hope is that the adds are determined by logic and not haste.

Yeah, we might need that Reinhart guy after all...