The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is the main position target the canucks need

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

2 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

from the Buffalo Sabres Forum:

" Adams will attempt to trade Ristolainen, but he's been on the block for three years with no takers, so it's not a given he goes. NJ is a possibility and has been for a while."

-----> not takers for the big fish Ristolainen for three years now. What is this telling us?

It's telling us we already have his equal or better in Myers.   Maybe just say pass.  Also on Cernak.   Replace Myers on TB with Cernak and hmmm.   Might be instead we are wishing we had Myers.     Risto gets some points and does his job.   Maybe it's time to draft and develop our own right side?   Seems a little late in the game.   But better late then never. 

On 6/22/2021 at 10:24 PM, EddieVedder said:

I agree but Macewan just needs the coach to put him in scoring role.  He has all the tools to be a Ferland type.  

Over who exactly?  He's got ok hands, but his real asset is his size and he truly needs to use it more.  

• Cheers 1

On 6/21/2021 at 11:21 PM, EliasBoeser said:

I think the answer is pretty obvious, entering the final year of his contract, we need to focus on an extension for Eriksson.

Have to watch out for players in their final year just playing to inflate their stats for money though.  With double the hustle, he may even double his point production from last year, from 1 to 2 !!!

• Haha 1

I think defense could still be improved on despite there being bottom 6 forward roles opening up in the next year, but I don't want to see us going the route of overpaying for that again. I say focus on defense and when opportunities come up for cheap but effective bottom 6 players come up (and they do evidently happen given we have players like Motte, etc) jump on those.

That at least would be my strategy. I think our offense is fine. We need more defense.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2021 at 6:42 PM, Patel Bure said:

Our biggest need in my opinion is a long term Alex Edler replacement.  A top pairing “all situations” defenseman that can take on the toughest defensive assignments.  If this isn’t possible, then the next biggest need is a stay at home defenseman that wouldn’t look out of place on a top pairing with a top flight offensive minded defenseman (I.e. A Chris Type type guy that could play with Hughes or Schmidt).  

I would shell up the money for Adam Larsson and entice him to leave Edmonton (5.5 - 6 million on a 4-5 year deal.....5 if it becomes a bidding war).  Yes, Larsson will likely sign with Edmonton for less money and less term, but Larsson is worth the money and term that I suggested on OUR team.

Coming back with the same defense next season is beautiful in theory, but too many players, fans, media members, and stakeholders will get upset if Jim Benning is perceived as not trying to push forward, and it could eventually lead to a toxic internal culture like the one we saw in Buffalo and Columbus.

Patel’s hierarchy of needs:

1) Top pairing all situations defenseman (Adam Larsson)

2) Stay at home defenseman - top four calibre (possibly re-sign Hamonic if option#1 fails)

3) A good 3rd line center with playmaking ability and solid defensively (Mikael Granlund)

4) Keep the 1st round pick (Guenther or Eklund)

Wennberg would have been nice but I can’t see him leaving Florida.  Bringing in Reinhart is unrealistic in my opinion since we won’t be able to accommodate his salary.  We would also have to give up a 1st + perhaps another young asset if we are asking Buffalo to take on cap, and I don’t think it would be worth it.  

Canucks would be more in need to a young dynamic player on an ELC when our “window” begins in 22-23 and so I’d much rather have a guy like Guenther at that time than Reinhart.

I watch Edmonton. You don't want Larsson for more than 3-4 million. Trust me. Streaky defenseman who can either play well or be a complete liability. Not worth the salary in my opinion. 

If he had fewer bad games he'd be worth it. He had a decent year this past year but based on previous years I wouldn't risk it. Especially not for anywhere close to 5-6 million. Edler is honestly close enough of a player to him in which we could get dirt cheap if we wanted to go that route. Both are inconsistent players. 

I personally prefer more stability even if it means at the cost of not having the higher end of the talent spectrum but that's personal preference. 

12 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I watch Edmonton. You don't want Larsson for more than 3-4 million. Trust me. Streaky defenseman who can either play well or be a complete liability. Not worth the salary in my opinion. 

If he had fewer bad games he'd be worth it. He had a decent year this past year but based on previous years I wouldn't risk it. Especially not for anywhere close to 5-6 million. Edler is honestly close enough of a player to him in which we could get dirt cheap if we wanted to go that route. Both are inconsistent players. 

I personally prefer more stability even if it means at the cost of not having the higher end of the talent spectrum but that's personal preference. 

It’s been hard for Larsen.  The Soilers top guys refuse to play hard without the puck.  They are terrible helping in their own zone, and often avoid contact, and force a lot on their D.  It’s not a Larsen issue; it’s a soft teammate’s issue.  

We have our 3rd line center in Miller. Getting wingers is easier. Defence is a must. We have a lot of good parts to start with. This year a bridge before we can really upgrade the Right side. Trade for Cernak, TB in huge trouble. Maybe next years first but not this years. Sign Hamonic to one year. 

Hughes Hamonic

Schmitt Cernak

Joulevi Myers

next year we can upgrade Hamonic. 

• Vintage 1

On 6/17/2021 at 3:58 PM, Bertuzzipunch said:

After the petey and quinn signings are signed sealed and delivered what is the number 1 thing Jim needs to focus on?

Personally to me i think we need to find that 3rd line center as soon as possible thru a trade. Not having a 3C atm is probably the most important piece we need. Someone who can play with podz, good at defense, can penalty kill. 

if we are going to replace edler and maybe hamonic i think its better to wait for UFAs. I think after reasing this forum most are comfortable to just bring back the same defense and improve it next offseason. 

-is it re-signing our UFAs

-focus on draft

-trade for a dman

-top 6 forward

watcha think

It’s an absolute no brainer.

Our biggest need by a country mile is an Edler replacement.  We need a top pairing two way “all situations” defenseman that can log big minutes.  While I don’t think Adam Larsson is quite that guy, he’s probably the closest and most cost effective option in this Summer’s free agency (cost effective in terms of overall cap hit + not having to trade assets for him).

As far as drafting goes, teams should always go BPA, but I’d probably cream my pants if the Canucks were to somehow miraculously move up in the draft and be at #1.  Owen Power is exactly what this team needs.  If Buffalo is even remotely open to moving Dahlin, I’d be all over that as well.

Assuming Edler takes a reduced role next year, we really only have 2 legit top-4 D-men and none that you can count on to be reliable against top forwards/teams in the playoffs.

I would say Schmidt is one but he didn't show it last year and even if he bounces back next season (if he's actually still a Canuck) he needs a legit top-4 D partner.

Priorities, in order of importance:

1) Top-end RDFD

2) 3C

3) Top-4 LDFD

30 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

Good news: either JB will be successful over the next two years or he will be fired. 

I'd say if he fails to make the play-offs this next season he'll be heading home to Portland, he's had a good run

#1 a shutdown DMAN to partner with Hughes

Should be the absolute number 1 goal.

#2* a 3rd Line C if Miller is not expected to play C

*If Miller is expected to play C then we need a winger than can flex as a C if injuries occurred like a Sam Reinhart / Blake Coleman

Coleman-Petey-Hoglander

Highmore-Miller-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Podkolzin

or

Highmore/Hoglander-Petey-Reinhart

Hoglander/Highmore-Miller-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Podkolzin

In this scenario if Miller struggles or a C gets hurt you have Coleman or Reinhart that are capable to play C.

For defence I really think as nice as Hamilton would be he is going to cost an arm and a leg.

Larsson I feel is the guy to target. No assets have to be given up. 

Say we did this:

Schmidt and the 9th I would even add Lind for the extension for Reinhart signed and traded to a decent extension

Then use the sedins, to lure Larsson to the org with the idea of playing partner with Quinn Hughes and getting to play with Petersson. 

Seattle hopefully takes Hotlby and not Gadj or MacEwan. I personally think they will take Holtby his salary and term aren't that bad and he is a cup winning goalie who played in front of an atrocious defensive squad with a new goalie coach. He had some flashes down the stretch of a a cup winning goalie and I could see that being good for the i5 rivalry.

Buy out JV, beagle maybe IR or buy out if possible.

I always included roussel in trade proposals for Reinhart but I don't know if they take Schmidt if they'd take roussel and Lind that's a lot of bodies so I am not sure how wed get rid of him but hopefully they'd find a way.

LE guys gotta retire. If he has a heart. Hope the sedins could guilt him into it.

Anyways I would love to see this next season:

Hoglander-EP40-Reinhart

Highmore-Miller-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Podkolzin

MacEwan-Graovac-Motte

Hughes-Larrson

Edler-Myers

Juolevi/Rathbone-Hamonic

Rathbone/Juolevi

Hopefully Juolevi and Rathbone will push each other and one will surpass elder by seasons end.

And the next year we resign Edler one more year and he starts on bottom pair and gets surpassed by the other becoming the number 7 dman for the year.

And in two years our D core:

Hughes-Larsson

Juolevi/Rathbone-Myers

Rathbone/Juolevi-Hamonic

Edler-Woo

With Woo replacing Hamonic the next year and Edler retiring or returning as an extra dman for his last year.

I am having visions and this is the way.