Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is the main position target the canucks need

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

After the petey and quinn signings are signed sealed and delivered what is the number 1 thing Jim needs to focus on?

 

 

Personally to me i think we need to find that 3rd line center as soon as possible thru a trade. Not having a 3C atm is probably the most important piece we need. Someone who can play with podz, good at defense, can penalty kill. 
 

if we are going to replace edler and maybe hamonic i think its better to wait for UFAs. I think after reasing this forum most are comfortable to just bring back the same defense and improve it next offseason. 

 

-is it re-signing our UFAs

-focus on draft

-trade for a dman

-top 6 forward

 

watcha think

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, brownky said:

Focus? Defence.

 

We have the goalie and the pipeline therein.

The forwards should be able to sort themselves out.

 

We will never go anywhere without a solid and competent D-corps. Puck retrieval, physical and capable of puck moving are hallmarks to it. Hughes is a 'specialist' D-man - he's offensive. He requires backup, this past year proved that; he's not the next coming of Neidermayer (who, ironically, had two of the best defencemen in the game beside him for most of his career in Stevens and later Pronger) so use him for where his skill is.

 

If our defence is GOOD, that frees the forwards up to be more offensive and break out that little bit smoother. There's not much ice in the NHL, so if the forwards get an extra two feet on the basis of the defence, that will translate to goals the other side.

 

Agree with this sentiment. The hiring of Shaw is an indicator of D being the main focus. 

 

Schmidt just ain't it, I was thinking earlier today that he was jettisoned for a reason. Some great hockey minds in VGK deemed him expendable. He signed his deal at 5.7 or whatever it is with the added benefit of ZERO state tax and the perks of Vegas. I could see him being pissed about that despite his smiling camera face. 

 

Who do we add? I'll leave that to Jimbo whom I do trust. Juolevi is a key piece IMO. Excited to see him mesh in like a Edler/Ohlund lite, but maybe a better first pass than both.

  • Hydration 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

After the petey and quinn signings are signed sealed and delivered what is the number 1 thing Jim needs to focus on?

 

 

Personally to me i think we need to find that 3rd line center as soon as possible thru a trade. Not having a 3C atm is probably the most important piece we need. Someone who can play with podz, good at defense, can penalty kill. 
 

if we are going to replace edler and maybe hamonic i think its better to wait for UFAs. I think after reasing this forum most are comfortable to just bring back the same defense and improve it next offseason. 

 

-is it re-signing our UFAs

-focus on draft

-trade for a dman

-top 6 forward

 

watcha think

Edler should come by relatively cheap. Maybe 2-2.5 million for one year? 

 

Hamonic might come in a little more. I get the sense that he’s wanting more term, like 3-4 years. Do you commit to that if you’re Canucks management? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Western Red said:

Agree with this sentiment. The hiring of Shaw is an indicator of D being the main focus. 

 

Schmidt just ain't it, I was thinking earlier today that he was jettisoned for a reason. Some great hockey minds in VGK deemed him expendable. He signed his deal at 5.7 or whatever it is with the added benefit of ZERO state tax and the perks of Vegas. I could see him being pissed about that despite his smiling camera face. 

 

Who do we add? I'll leave that to Jimbo whom I do trust. Juolevi is a key piece IMO. Excited to see him mesh in like a Edler/Ohlund lite, but maybe a better first pass than both.

Why do you think Schmidt ain’t it? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, N4ZZY said:

Why do you think Schmidt ain’t it? 

I think Baumer kinda stomped his spirit out and didn't like the Ra Ra he has about him. I see him as a 4D at best and that's what Myers is so..

 

Pure speculation, obviously.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

After the petey and quinn signings are signed sealed and delivered what is the number 1 thing Jim needs to focus on?

 

 

Personally to me i think we need to find that 3rd line center as soon as possible thru a trade. Not having a 3C atm is probably the most important piece we need. Someone who can play with podz, good at defense, can penalty kill. 
 

if we are going to replace edler and maybe hamonic i think its better to wait for UFAs. I think after reasing this forum most are comfortable to just bring back the same defense and improve it next offseason. 

 

-is it re-signing our UFAs

-focus on draft

-trade for a dman

-top 6 forward

 

watcha think

Our biggest need in my opinion is a long term Alex Edler replacement.  A top pairing “all situations” defenseman that can take on the toughest defensive assignments.  If this isn’t possible, then the next biggest need is a stay at home defenseman that wouldn’t look out of place on a top pairing with a top flight offensive minded defenseman (I.e. A Chris Type type guy that could play with Hughes or Schmidt).  

I would shell up the money for Adam Larsson and entice him to leave Edmonton (5.5 - 6 million on a 4-5 year deal.....5 if it becomes a bidding war).  Yes, Larsson will likely sign with Edmonton for less money and less term, but Larsson is worth the money and term that I suggested on OUR team.

 

Coming back with the same defense next season is beautiful in theory, but too many players, fans, media members, and stakeholders will get upset if Jim Benning is perceived as not trying to push forward, and it could eventually lead to a toxic internal culture like the one we saw in Buffalo and Columbus.

 

Patel’s hierarchy of needs:

 

1) Top pairing all situations defenseman (Adam Larsson)

2) Stay at home defenseman - top four calibre (possibly re-sign Hamonic if option#1 fails)

3) A good 3rd line center with playmaking ability and solid defensively (Mikael Granlund)

4) Keep the 1st round pick (Guenther or Eklund)

 

Wennberg would have been nice but I can’t see him leaving Florida.  Bringing in Reinhart is unrealistic in my opinion since we won’t be able to accommodate his salary.  We would also have to give up a 1st + perhaps another young asset if we are asking Buffalo to take on cap, and I don’t think it would be worth it.  
 

Canucks would be more in need to a young dynamic player on an ELC when our “window” begins in 22-23 and so I’d much rather have a guy like Guenther at that time than Reinhart.

Edited by Patel Bure
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

Our biggest need in my opinion is a long term Alex Edler replacement.  A top pairing “all situations” defenseman that can take on the toughest defensive assignments.  If this isn’t possible, then the next biggest need is a stay at home defenseman that wouldn’t look out of place on a top pairing with a top flight offensive minded defenseman (I.e. A Chris Type type guy that could play with Hughes or Schmidt).  

I would shell up the money for Adam Larsson and entice him to leave Edmonton (5.5 - 6 million on a 4-5 year deal.....5 if it becomes a bidding war).  Yes, Larsson will likely sign with Edmonton for less money and less term, but Larsson is worth the money and term that I suggested on OUR team.

 

Coming back with the same defense next season is beautiful in theory, but too many players, fans, media members, and stakeholders will get upset if Jim Benning is perceived as not trying to push forward, and it could eventually lead to a toxic internal culture like the one we saw in Buffalo and Columbus.

 

Patel’s hierarchy of needs:

 

1) Top pairing all situations defenseman (Adam Larsson)

2) Stay at home defenseman - top four calibre (possibly re-sign Hamonic if option#1 fails)

3) A good 3rd line center with playmaking ability and solid defensively (Mikael Granlund)

4) Keep the 1st round pick (Guenther or Eklund)

 

Wennberg would have been nice but I can’t see him leaving Florida.  Bringing in Reinhart is unrealistic in my opinion since we won’t be able to accommodate his salary.  We would also have to give up a 1st + perhaps another young asset if we are asking Buffalo to take on cap, and I don’t think it would be worth it.  
 

Canucks would be more in need to a young dynamic player on an ELC when our “window” begins in 22-23 and so I’d much rather have a guy like Guenther at that time than Reinhart.

If the Canucks could snag Larsson, I would be highly curious what assets you would need to a) move Loui and b) acquire a solid 3rd line C like Appleton.  

 

Maybe the capolgists can inform me what would happen if you retain some salary on LE and the other team buys him out. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

If the Canucks could snag Larsson, I would be highly curious what assets you would need to a) move Loui and b) acquire a solid 3rd line C like Appleton.  

 

Maybe the capolgists can inform me what would happen if you retain some salary on LE and the other team buys him out. 

 

Good questions.

 

1) Eriksson.  I don’t think it’s going to be possible to move Eriksson, barring a ridiculous sweetener such as Rathbone or our 1st.  Not worth it in my opinion.  I would use a 2nd or 3rd + B prospect as sweeteners to move both Beagle and Roussel in independent deals.  We would get two 7th rounders for our efforts.

 

2) Appleton would be a nice addition but I have no idea what the asking price would be.  That’s why I’d rather just go after Granlund.  Will only cost money.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

So basically....a miracle?

Possibly. But let's face it, this is the type of defenseman who normally is drafted somewhere early in the first round and not usually procured in some kind of lopsided trade or through free agency. 

 

come to think of it   -  Lidstrom, Weber,  Keith etc (there's more!)

 

Why not a miracle!

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Colorado is considering moving Jost, not sure if he will be protected. Getting that 3C for the nucks i think is the second most important thing this offseason after signing petey and Q. 
 

really we could overhaul our defense next season with all the cap room were gonna have but we need a 3C in the worst way.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...