The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van/Det

Detroit doesnt do this.

Vrana put a a PPG pace (In Detroit) to end the season there.

Also, they literally just acquired him. They need more offensive players like him. Its a step back for Detroit IMO. Why put the rebuild back further? Vrana is a proven NHL'er, and hes young. Whereas a draft pick is unproven.

Just my 2 cents.

• Cheers 2

I like that he's a LW.   Vrana has decent stats, i wouldn't take too much stock in his recent explosion in Detroit but first line minutes and PP time can do that to players.    This would bump Pearson down, wouldn't expect much more then normal career production as a third liner for Vrana (or Pearson).    I'd rather keep the pick though.   

Lol. And Detroit adds 37 overall! Good luck with that.

Detroit doesn't do it even without the second. As Vrana is currently, there's not a very high chance you're going to get a better player 9th overall in this draft. And Vrana could still have room to grow - just turned 25 and he was a p/g player after joining Detroit.

Maybe if the Canucks were the one adding a second rounder, but I still don't see it making sense for Detroit. With picks number 6, 22, 37, 47, 51, 69, 95, Detroit is operating from a position of terrific strength at this draft. And with both Cossa and Wallstedt available, they have options. No need to trade a young player entering his prime.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

We need a top tier natural center or an elite defenseman a lot more than we need a winger. 

Keep the pick.  

Lmao u really think we gonna get either of those with pick 9? I thought we have 2 top tier centers? Which elite defenseman shall we choose makar or mcavoy?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Lmao u really think we gonna get either of those with pick 9? I thought we have 2 top tier centers? Which elite defenseman shall we choose makar or mcavoy?

The suggestion that we trade 9oa for a player known to have compete/effort issues is laughable.  It's one of the several reasons he was expendable in Wsh.  JB has said numerous times he wants players here who have the right character and will compete every night - Vrana is the opposite of that. 

https://starsandsticks.com/2021/04/13/why-washington-capitals-trade-jakub-vrana/

So why are the Capitals trading a guy like this?

Just recently, there was a giant red flag that was waving over Vrana. He was a healthy scratch for not one game, but two straight games. Both of those games being against the Devils earlier this month.

A healthy scratch is a big enough warning. When head coach Peter Laviolette comes out and says that they have had too many talks about compete level and the fact that you never saw that level rise that was the giant red flag. Even worse, after returning from his healthy scratches you still did not see the effort level go up. More times than not, he was next to invisible.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

The suggestion that we trade 9oa for a player known to have compete/effort issues is laughable.  It's one of the several reasons he was expendable in Wsh.  JB has said numerous times he wants players here who have the right character and will compete every night - Vrana is the opposite of that. 

https://starsandsticks.com/2021/04/13/why-washington-capitals-trade-jakub-vrana/

Known to you i suppose. I didnt know. 

How about this if Walstedt is available at #9

Detroit also has Washington's 22 pick. So Vancouver's 90A for pick 22 and either (1 or both of) Detroit prospects on this list # 10 and, or 11. Not necessarily them though. I trust Benning to pick.

Or if that's not enough add something for Veleno. ^_^

Edited by John_Guest

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

The bigger question is, who would you rather have as GM... Sakic or Yzerman? 

Great question!   Both are probably the two best GM’s in the league and so I’d be happy with either one of them.  Maybe a slight edge to Stevie Y since he was largely responsible for building Tampa (cup winning team) + those monstrous 2010 and 2014 Gold medal winning teams.

I think it’s cool how Yzerman and Sakic are still competing with one another as members of the Wings and Avs respectively.

Edited by Patel Bure

17 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

If Detroit wants to get wallstead and a another top 10 player what would you guys think about this

To Detroit:

9OA

To Vancouver:

Jakub Vrana

2nd rounder (37th overall)

I would do this trade in a heartbeat!

the big but is will this trade make us cup competitive in the next 4 years? or do we have to make more draft pick trades to make that happen?

if the answer is we need more trades. i respectively decline

1 minute ago, Petey_BOI said:

I would do this trade in a heartbeat!

the big but is will this trade make us cup competitive in the next 4 years? or do we have to make more draft pick trades to make that happen?

if the answer is we need more trades. i respectively decline

I would be more inclined to make this trade at the deadline for next years pick if we were sitting around 5th or better in the conference

22 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

If Detroit wants to get wallstead and a another top 10 player what would you guys think about this

To Detroit:

9OA

To Vancouver:

Jakub Vrana

2nd rounder (37th overall)

I still prefer the idea of acquiring a d-man prospect this draft (hopefully a RD), and while the big fish may well already be gone by the 9th pick, there should still be some fairly promising guys further down the line. If the team were to trade the 9th pick then I could see them moving down a few places (and picking up another pick/prospect with the exchange) rather than not picking at all.

regards,  G.

On 6/23/2021 at 9:40 AM, Bertuzzipunch said:

I think he meant at #9 overall, you have a "chance" of drafting a player that can develop into one of those - of course that would likely take time to come to fruition. You can still add impactful players trading the #9 - perhaps not elite, but a high tier player...Elite players don't get traded for picks, they get traded for picks, prospects and roster pieces.