The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thousands dead in unmarked graves from Canadian Residential Schools

MeanSeanBean

3 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Thank you for sharing that. It's not your duty or obligation at all, but it is much appreciated all the same.

This probably a rediculous question due to the neglect shown by the Canadian government time and time again, but why isn't your Father being a survivor of the sixties scoop enough proof for him to be recognized? If he was placed in a program, that's entire purpose was to rehome First Nation kids into foster homes, wouldn't that be enough.  Again, this seems like a pedantic question due to how frequently the Government bumbles this types of affairs, but that just doesn't make any sense to me.

It's not him it's me.

I am not eligible for status under the current structure simply because we have no actual birth records for him and thus cannot technically prove my or my sisters heritage.  Therefore we are ineligible for status in the eyes of the Canadian government.

1 minute ago, nuckin_futz said:

Hippy said in the 2nd paragraph that his father is now deceased.

RIP Mr Drouin.

appreciated, him and I were estranged for decades but he is at peace and that is all that matters now.  He couldn't reconcile with his past and it drove him to being the person he was.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It's not him it's me.

I am not eligible for status under the current structure simply because we have no actual birth records for him and thus cannot technically prove my or my sisters heritage.  Therefore we are ineligible for status in the eyes of the Canadian government.

Right, but by proving his background you could then be granted the same support which may be able to cover some of the therapy costs you mentioned in your post? It just seems absurd to me that him being placed into a program that was designed for First Nations children isn't enough proof. Birth records are paper, and go missing all the time due to neglected or natural disaster. I was under the impression that when Trudeau got into power his intent was make it easier for First Nation people to reclaim their lost status. 

My Great Great Grandmother lost her status when she married a Irishman. Under the acts that Trudeau implemented my Nana was able to go through the process to reverse that and receive her status. It was important to her to do, just so she could feel more comfortable with who she was and her heritage. It stopped with my Nana and my Mum never applied, but it's important that my Nana has that.

It's rediculous that someone who could use their status to receive important support is unable to do the same..

Edited by shayster007

Incredibley stupid that they have to get the governments approval, to be considered, what they are.

Applying for status.

Should be the band chiefs telling the Feds-"These people are of us, and you shall honour their 'status'."

19 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Right, but by proving his background you could then be granted the same support which may be able to cover some of the therapy costs you mentioned in your post? It just seems absurd to me that him being placed into a program that was designed for First Nations children isn't enough proof. Birth records are paper, and go missing all the time due to neglected or natural disaster. I was under the impression that when Trudeau got into power his intent was make it easier for First Nation people to reclaim their lost status. 

My Great Great Grandmother lost her status when she married a Irishman. Under the acts that Trudeau implemented my Nana was able to go through the process to reverse that and receive her status. It was important to her to do, just so she could feel more comfortable with who she was and her heritage. It stopped with my Nana and my Mum never applied, but it's important that my Nana has that.

It's rediculous that someone who could use their status to receive important support is unable to do the same..

I haven't tried since I was in my early 20s.  At this point in time in my life there is little to no benefit to myself to continue trying.  I know who I am, I know my ancestry and we can prove where we came from.  Having a piece of paper approved by the government to tell us our lineage is inconsequential.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I haven't tried since I was in my early 20s.  At this point in time in my life there is little to no benefit to myself to continue trying.  I know who I am, I know my ancestry and we can prove where we came from.  Having a piece of paper approved by the government to tell us our lineage is inconsequential.

Totally fair. If you ever change your mind and would like me to ask my Nana about the process or recourses she used when she went through the process, just send me a PM. She would be thrilled if her experience was able to help someone else.

30 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Skip to the 8:20 mark

I'm not here as a supporter of Singh, just trying to highlight how a lot of people, including the media, don't seem to have a grasp of the situation. 

Some of the largest most viable land for settlement are on reserve lands.  Some of the most vital resource avenues are through or on reserve lands.

When I hear "but the cost" then watch the feds or provinces give corporations BILLIONS for resource development my blood boils faster than the water of dozens of reserves that cannot access the most basic resource in life.

In 2 generations these investments will MORE than pay off.  But instead we watch that money just handed over to multi-national corporations who then develop the land they pollute which contributes in large part in places to these water issues we see on reserve lands.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Yup. Many would rather help foreign billionaires get richer rather than help their neighbours back on to their feet.

It's the trickle down effect. It's the same problem we see in the lower/middle class of America. Life is difficult, and financial issues are the leading cause of that. People believe that if big businesses are successful, the economy will be thrive. If the economy is doing well, their pockets may get just a little heavier. Problem is it rarely works out that way, and the only people who benefit are the powerful.

Edited by shayster007
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I'm not here as a supporter of Singh, just trying to highlight how a lot of people, including the media, don't seem to have a grasp of the situation. 

Ignorance is bliss. It's the way authoritarians control the population by controlling information. Some people just don't know because they've never even seen a reserve or been to one. If only it were as easy as putting in money so they can have proper drinking water though, the situation is a complete mess mostly because of the Canadian government's past actions but that's lead to the communities having their own issues in resolving this.

11 hours ago, shayster007 said:

No, we're not. We should be, that is the end goal for sure. But it's naive to the point of disrespect to say that right now. There is inequality between groups of people anywhere you look. If your statement was true America wouldn't have boiled over to the point where the Black Lives Matter movement needed to take place. We wouldn't need to be having the discussion of the forces assimilation of our First Nation people.  Israel and Palestine wouldn't currently be at war.  We just aren't there yet.

There would be no inequality if people shared my belief/knowledge that we are all from the same tribe,the human tribe.

This should not be an end goal,this is something we should have always striven for and it should be happening now.

Especially when we are already so interconnected by technology.

Mate it ain't hard to treat others the way you wish to be treated.

I have done this all my life.

6 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Also as someone who doesn't like Singh, this is the first time I've seen him have the sort of air a leader should have with how he completely shut down the "but the cost" questions with an apt answer. This is gold.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

There would be no inequality if people shared my belief/knowledge that we are all from the same tribe,the human tribe.

This should not be an end goal,this is something we should have always striven for and it should be happening now.

Especially when we are already so interconnected by technology.

Mate it ain't hard to treat others the way you wish to be treated.

I have done this all my life.

I agree with you on every point. That doesn't mean the world does. Unfortunately that's just not how the world works right now.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Totally.

All the people who I have loved in my life have not shared " my blood" including my son.

I had the best parents in the world who choose me.

I have the best friends in the world who I have shared the most incredible things/times with.

I have clung on a just a little bit to my " Scottish Ancestry" even though that was my adoptive/real father's ancestry however we all need to maintain some sort of identity.

However as the years have gone by my initial view that we are all brothers and sisters under the sun has intensified and that is who I identify as now....a human being..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Warhippy said:

appreciated, him and I were estranged for decades but he is at peace and that is all that matters now.  He couldn't reconcile with his past and it drove him to being the person he was.

I hope that both you and your father are at peace 

You are a good human being 

We need more of you 

13 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I  came across the platinum rule a couple years ago when doing an HR seminar with my staff.

I thought it was ridiculous as I have always loved the golden rule. 

Then I started to think of some things..

An example I think of is.... I don't mind if you were your shoes in my house, I think everyone should allow shoes in doors. However, if you don't want me to to wear shoes in your house I will respect that.

Don't really know why I am quoting you for this point but I do really agree everyone should be allowed to voice their opinion. 

If we want true communication and to get along we will have to respect that certain groups will desire to be treated in a way that perhaps some think is silly.

I think it is weird that everyone can't use the N-word. I am a huge hiphop fan and 'sing' that word a lot. 

But, most would agree that it is off putting for me to throw it into my everyday language even as a term of endearment for a friend. 

It's that platinum rule. I really don't mind someone calling me a cracker but I don't have the history and repression that comes with the origins of the N-word ( see we don't even type it out, probably would be filtered).  

I don't really care what you call me as long as it's not late for breakfast ....check out a song called Aussiemandias by TISM and you will see what I mean.

And while it is an ant- racism song I don't think the mods would like me posting it.

• Cheers 1

On 7/4/2021 at 2:23 PM, Warhippy said:

That blows.

So today was a great  day.

Shopping with Mom.

Powell River Rec center opened up for drop in swims, so I went.

Then the bank

then shopping for me

came home did dishes

Then onto the 3 websites I visit

Re-arranged my e mails to bring forward my retirement letters- gotta apply tommorrow.

Now a hockey game.

I only mention all this because on Saturday, in this thread, I said this :

"

Full disclosure I have not yet called my local MLA or MP, on this issue, to demand change or criminal charges where applicable. 

Who has?

I committ to doing so on Monday July 5th."

So much for my committement. :(

And it is just that easy for somethings to never get dealt with.

I will try again tommorrow, putting  it on my literal list right after I press Reply.

• Like 2