The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thousands dead in unmarked graves from Canadian Residential Schools

MeanSeanBean

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Whatever a group of people would like to be referred to is the correct term, even if that changes over time.

Its part of the platinum rule.  

And if you are not part of that group of people, your only job is to shut up, listen, and be respectful.

2 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

And if you are not part of that group of people, your only job is to shut up, listen, and be respectful.

found this on the web to describe it vs the golden rule...

More useful is the Platinum Rule: “Treat others the way they would like to be treated.” If people don't want to be asked “Where are you from?”, then don't ask them. Even if you don't mind being asked yourself.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, bishopshodan said:

found this on the web to describe it vs the golden rule...

More useful is the Platinum Rule: “Treat others the way they would like to be treated.” If people don't want to be asked “Where are you from?”, then don't ask them. Even if you don't mind being asked yourself.

It's shocking how frequently my wife is asked that question, and it makes her uncomfertable every time. I hadn't ever fully realized until I heard it first hand a few times. People will even press and ask again if she says "here", like it's any of their damn business why her skin is of a different pigment. In contrast, if I'm asked the same question they will ask "so were you born on the island". Not the much more blunt, and rude, "so where are you from". 

• Cheers 3

30 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Whatever a group of people would like to be referred to is the correct term, even if that changes over time.

Its part of the platinum rule.  

Yes but double standards too don't help.... 

Call yourself 'Native" but don't like other to call you that.. I mean when will it end? 

That is why we are in this mess in the first place. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

16 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

Yes but double standards too don't help.... 

Call yourself 'Native" but don't like other to call you that.. I mean when will it end? 

That is why we are in this mess in the first place. 

It's the ever evolving social contract. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 7/2/2021 at 4:48 PM, Kootenay Gold said:

Do not be misled by media sensationalism; They are constantly using the term "mass" graves which, to me, implies many many bodies piled on top of one another like those found in the German concentration camps. What I believe they are really meaning is many many individual unmarked graves. The term unmarked while probably accurate is also IMO, a bit misleading as it was common practice to place wooden markers at the head of the burial site. Many of these markers would have degraded over time to the point of not being recognizable and probably eventually removed. I came across this first hand when researching my family tree. I have documentation showing that some of my relatives are buried in this small cemetery in rural Alberta but there are no markers to show where. Even in modern cemetery's there are numerous unmarked graves. The key to all of this would be the burial records that the church should have for the residential schools that were under their control.

Tbh never noticed what the news was calling it at all, just passed my own judgment on how it's feeling in my own mind, I don't think I've watched the news in over a week :lol:. I also started watching some videos on the history of the school system, that were uploaded up years before all these graves are being discovered, I did post one them, it's disgusting what the government did and did not do, and don't get me started on the priests glad I never wanted to go to church as a kid, screw them what a joke. But listening to the survivors in the videos is one of the main reasons I wanted to watch them, for it's what they have to say that is extremely important imo, because they experienced this crap first hand and are basically telling us a picture of what was really going on.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup
  • Huggy Bear 1

On 7/2/2021 at 7:38 PM, BoKnows said:

Except Canada didn't try to take over the world

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Maybe that was the plan eventually.... Who knows maybe Bo knows 

Well, in the period most of the people in the unmarked graves were buried and until the Statute of Westminster of 1931 Canada was an integral part of the British Empire with its trade policies and foreign relations largely mandated from London.  And the British Empire at that time was much larger than Nazi Germany at the peak of its conquests.  

1 minute ago, Coda said:

Well, in the period most of the people in the unmarked graves were buried and until the Statute of Westminster of 1931 Canada was an integral part of the British Empire with its trade policies and foreign relations largely mandated from London.  And the British Empire at that time was much larger than Nazi Germany at the peak of its conquests.  

Did the Empire have similar schools in their other colonies?  Maybe this is our sin, and not the British?  

10 hours ago, stawns said:

Harper refused to even acknowledge it and JT is planning for a fall election and wants to appear to be doing something about it.

Once it's off the front page, white people will go back to ignoring it

JT is going to have a lot to prove if he wants to be trusted on this issue. He has already failed to deliver on his promise to ensure access to safe drinking water. Canadians have stood by quietly and allowed this failure on something so basic as clean drinking water in a wealthy nation flush with fresh water.

We won’t be able to blame past generations, governments or the church if we allow this to fade from the front page. It’ll be on each of us.

AG has strong words for Ottawa on First Nations drinking water: 

The federal government has not done enough to ensure people in First Nations communities have reliable access to safe drinking water, says the federal auditor general.

In an audit report tabled in Parliament today, Auditor General Karen Hogan said many First Nations will continue to live without access to clean water without long-term solutions to address deficiencies in their water systems.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau committed during the 2015 election to eliminating all long-term drinking water advisories on public water systems on First Nations reserves by March 31, 2021.

The auditor general found that since the prime minister made that commitment, 100 advisories have been lifted. But 60 remained in effect in 41 First Nations communities as of November 2020, and some communities won't be able to get clean water out of their taps for many years.

"I am very concerned and honestly disheartened that this longstanding issue is still not resolved,"  Hogan told a press conference in Ottawa today.

"Access to safe drinking water is a basic human necessity. I don't believe anyone would say that this is in any way an acceptable situation in Canada in 2021."

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

yep, anyone can have it tough anywhere. White, black, brown, red, yellow, it doesn't matter. What's wrong is Stawns, and natives in this regard too, pretending like racist or derogatory remarks towards white people are lesser or irrelevant because white people have generally had an easier go

If the New Balance running shoe fits........

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, shayster007 said:

I imagine this was what residential schools expected of their prisoners/pupils. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Coda said:

The point is that increasing violence and militancy would probably hurt Indigenous people more than than white people, on average. 

Who is affected by burning down churches on reserves?  Mainly the Indigenous people who attend those churches.  If there is an escalating tit-for-tat of totem pole burnings for statue tear downs, the Indigenous are at a numbers disadvantage: The most $&!#ty, racist 10% of white people in Canada outnumber the entire Indigenous population, most of whom are sensible, peaceful people who want restorative justice to be achieved peacefully and for better relations with non-indigenous Canadians.  

I'd bet my bottom dollar it's not indigenous burning down churches

1 minute ago, Kryten said:

I imagine this was what residential schools expected of their prisoners/pupils. 

Pardon me? Did you just compare me saying people should be respectful of others culture and shut their mouths when it doesn't effect them to the abusive assimilation of our first people?