The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Maple Leafs looking to trade Zach Hyman’s rights; Canucks interested

The Canucks already have a Zach Hyman type, his name is Vasili Podkolzin.

At the end of the Mike Futa hit this morning (awesome btw) Halford mentioned the goal being to find the NEXT Hyman, and that's the kind of player Podkolzin is. 

He won't be as good right off the bat, but everything Futa described is how Podkolzin plays.

Hyman would be nice, but guys with more offensive flair (Schwartz, Saad, even Tatar on a reclaimation type deal) are more appealing to me.

12 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

Well, there's third line players, and then there's guys who play on the third line because that suits their play style, and the role they have on their team.

With a few more guys like Hyman (or even an uninjured Foligno or Simmonds) the Leafs just may have had a different result in this year's playoffs. Heck, he scored as many goals as Matthews and Marner combined...

regards,  G.

Agreed, however that's the Leaf's situation. This is a different team.

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

If this happens, it feels like Benning will overpay and give too much term. And round and round we go. Has he not learned from Eriksson, Roussel and Beagle?  I guess we'll see. 

I don't think it will. Another bloated contract to a player nearing 30 will more than anything spell the end of Benning in Vancouver. 

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't think it will. Another bloated contract to a player nearing 30 will more than anything spell the end of Benning in Vancouver. 

I can't see too many being thrilled with this, if it happens. I hope it's all a distraction while they're working on something bigger and better.  Didn't Benning did say they wanted to get younger? This would contradict that.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Yet played alongside Matthews/Marner.

Put anyone beside those two and they'll make you "look" good. 

The Canucks don't have anyone to that cailbre yet and yes, that includes Petey and Boeser. 

Yeah you never watched him play. Easy for me to say he was the main reason both those guys had great years which is exactly what happened.

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

I can't see too many being thrilled with this, if it happens. I hope it's all a distraction while they're working on something bigger and better.  Didn't Benning did say they wanted to get younger? This would contradict that.

Exactly. Signing a player like Hyman is totally counterintuitive to where the club should be going. He's going to be overpaid for what he brings almost guaranteed, and I'd prefer that it not be Vancouver where he gets that bloated contract. I think a lot of the talk going on right now is conflated by the media and agents. When those two get together it's like a union borne of hellfire.

10 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

The Canucks don't have anyone to that cailbre yet and yes, that includes Petey and Boeser. 

That caliber of player seems to not help a team get out of the first round. 

1 minute ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

The Leafs are a choke-show with two elite players that can produce points. Nothing new.

Just look at that embarrassment in the west that is Edmonton.

What do you think contributes to them being a choke show? Those two are elite regular season players, but both seem to wilt once the post season hits, and the hits in the post season increase.

Hey Edmonton just signed a multiple Norris winner, and a Stanley Cup champion! Their woes are over, don't ya know!

27 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Weird that he also looked good in the playoffs while Matthews and Marner were telecommuting.  Petey and Boeser would also lighten his defensive load since he'd have linemates who don't need a tourist visa to enter their own zone.