The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Maple Leafs looking to trade Zach Hyman’s rights; Canucks interested

3 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

This team loves 3rd line players

Dude have u even watched him before? Theres a reason he was probably the most loved player on the leafs by the fans there. Sure hate the contract or money or watever but hes a damn good hockey player

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

2 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

This team loves 3rd line players

2 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Dude have u even watched him before? Theres a reason he was probably the most loved player on the leafs by the fans there. Sure hate the contract or money or watever but hes a damn good hockey player

Well, there's third line players, and then there's guys who play on the third line because that suits their play style, and the role they have on their team.

With a few more guys like Hyman (or even an uninjured Foligno or Simmonds) the Leafs just may have had a different result in this year's playoffs. Heck, he scored as many goals as Matthews and Marner combined...

regards,  G.

7 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

He is 29, this is a recipe for disaster. It boggles my mind really. After all theses salt and pepper Headed journeymen cashing in on Bennings fetishizes, there are people that are like “sweet” 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

I remember level headed posters saying that Marky was likely gone because of the expansion draft. Tanev was wanted back but at a reasonable cap and term. Toffoli was unlikely to be re-signed unless we could move cap out.

Marky and Tanev chose to go to UFA to test the market and maximize their deals. We refused a NMC to Marky and gave an offer to Tanev. Marky took his best deal with Calgary. Tanev said he would sleep on it then announced a deal with Calgary a short while later. The cost of moving cap was too high so we had to shift priorities. No cap means no ability to offer Toffoli a contract. That doesn't mean that we didn't even talk to his agent.

Wow stop making stuff up and posting it like they are real. Tanev wanted to stay in Vancouver, my best guess is we didn't even give him a phone call nevermind a contract offer. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/christopher-tanev-willing-to-be-patient-to-re-sign-in-vancouver/c-318980006

Toffoli already came out and said he was waiting from the Canucks and we made 0 effect to contact him. 

Anything you said that's closer to the truth is Markstrom, we really wanted to sign him but couldn't give him the NMC, so he choose Calgary. 

• Cheers 1

Maple Leafs getting offers for Hyman

Kevin McGran: The Maple Leafs have granted Zach Hyman permission to speak with other teams before free agency opens up on July 28th.

The Leafs have received at least three solid offers for Hyman.

The Calgary Flames, Vancouver Canucks and Edmonton Oilers are thought to be the leading candidates. Also making inquiries to Hyman’s agent Todd Reynolds were the Pittsburgh Penguins, Florida Panthers, Boston Bruins and Detroit Red Wings.

It’s believed that Hyman is looking for an eight-year deal at around $5 million per.

Will Hyman get 8 years at 5 million per year from any team ?

Lot's of teams interested, but can't imagine a team will actually offer him 8 years.

How the hell is a player like Hyman demanding 8 years? 

He plays some cushy minutes with Matthews and now him and his agent think he’s a franchise player? Sounds like he’s pulling an Anson Carter…

I would offer him 4 years @ 4.5 mil max. He’ll be a bottom 6 player in year 3 of the contract.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Kevin McGran: The Maple Leafs have granted Zach Hyman permission to speak with other teams before free agency opens up on July 28th.

The Calgary Flames, Vancouver Canucks and Edmonton Oilers are thought to be the leading candidates. Also making inquiries to Hyman’s agent Todd Reynolds were the Pittsburgh Penguins, Florida Panthers, Boston Bruins and Detroit Red Wings.

It’s believed that Hyman is looking for an eight-year deal at around $5 million per.

Lot's of teams interested, but can't imagine a team will actually offer him 8 years.

He's hoping he does, but....I doubt it

45 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Oh god someone pls stop Benning before we sign Hyman to a 8 year 5million deal. 

To start with the max term if he isn't resigned by the Leafs is 7 years, right, not 8? If anyone offers him more than 4-5 years, well, good luck.

I've wanted Hyman on our team for a long time, think he's a perfect fit for the top 9 on a reasonable contract. A reasonable contract for us would be something like 4-5 mil for max 4 years or maybe a bit more money for shorter term. If that's what they're discussing I would be fine with it although the later part of the contract could be risky, if it's more than that I hope and believe we're not really in it. Not sure anyone wants to spend more than that on a middle six winger in this climate though no matter how good his overall contribution are.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, J-P said:

To start with the max term if he isn't resigned by the Leafs is 7 years, right, not 8? If anyone offers him more than 4-5 years, well, good luck.

I've wanted Hyman on our team for a long time, think he's a perfect fit for the top 9 on a reasonable contract. A reasonable contract for us would be something like 4-5 mil for max 4 years or maybe a bit more money for shorter term. If that's what they're discussing I would be fine with it although the later part of the contract could be risky, if it's more than that I hope and believe we're not really in it. Not sure anyone wants to spend more than that on a middle six winger in this climate though no matter how good his overall contribution are.

If you trade for his rights before he’s a UFA you can sign him for 8.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Thanks 1

this is probably all posturing for him to get a better deal out of Dubas. The Leafs are in trouble if they lose him, their toughest player will be Kerfoot :lol:

But I will be pissed if he ends up in Edmonton, and so will a lot of people on here, for the first few years of the deal anyway. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

I’ve got no issues signing him, 29 isn’t old and has some good years left in the tank.

the issue will be term and cap, I wouldn’t go any longer than 4x4 for him at the top end, maybe 5m on a 2 year deal.

Him and Miller on the PK would be quite effective, Hyman Miller and Motte would make for a good matchup line freeing up Horvat to play a more offensive role. 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Saad>>Hyman

For pure offensive ability I agree. I do however think Hyman is a more well rounded player, but with where this team is at Saad would be the better add IMO

• Cheers 1