The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Carey Price waives NMC for expansion draft

Just now, qwijibo said:

If they take him it’s because they believe he’ll be worth it for the full 5 years.  His contract is buyout proof and not the front loaded kind of contract he’ll just walk away from. Having his NMC intact means Price still has all the power 

Power always has it's Price. ;)

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, sassbs said:

Wow, I’m impressed with price.  Team first.   Wish luongo thought of that before retiring.  

Luongo did think of his team, and his retirement helped out Florida quite a bit.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

If the Canadiens could afford this contract, wouldn't the Kraken have even more space for it?  He seems like a foundation piece they could build around  -- well worth the cap hit for them.

If he was 30 maybe. That's a heck of a risk. Even if he did help his team get to the Cup Finals. 

1 minute ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

If the Canadiens could afford this contract, wouldn't the Kraken have even more space for it?  He seems like a foundation piece they could build around  -- well worth the cap hit for them.

It’s not just the contract.  It’s his age. The buyout proof structure of the contract and Price’s NMC that limits their options if they acquire him 

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

It’s not just the contract.  It’s his age. The buyout proof structure of the contract and Price’s NMC that limits their options if they acquire him 

Bergevin must have hit le´ crack pipe today, this is such a bad idea on his part. Without Weber and Price Montreal is toast. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

Bergevin must have hit le´ crack pipe today, this is such a bad idea on his part. Without Weber and Price Montreal is toast. 

Depends on what he does with the $19m of additional cap space he’d have if those things happen 

I have no idea if they will take Price… high risk, high reward.

They could have big names to sell tickets… but they could handcuff their team with years of an underperforming aging goalie.

I would lean towards taking him and several other goalies and the selling some of them back to other teams to get extra assets.

If Montreal loses Price, then Holtby could look good to them as a pairing with Allen.

I can’t wait to go through all the protection lists and mocking up possible rosters.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

I have no idea if they will take Price… high risk, high reward.

They could have big names to sell tickets… but they could handcuff their team with years of an underperforming aging goalie.

I would lean towards taking him and several other goalies and the selling some of them back to other teams to get extra assets.

If Montreal loses Price, then Holtby could look good to them as a pairing with Allen.

I can’t wait to go through all the protection lists and mocking up possible rosters.

Holtby has been brutal the last few seasons.  If they lose Price they take one of Vegas’s goalies off their hands 

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Eichel would salve the wound quite a bit :)

Not saying it’s even remotely likely. But Ovechkin did say last week that if he was to play anywhere other than Washington it would be in Montreal.  Lol 

15 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Depends on what he does with the $19m of additional cap space he’d have if those things happen 

Overpay for a bunch of UFAs? Or gut your future for a small window?

Habs don’t go anywhere without Price. If their plan is to sign Ovechkin that’s a pretty big gamble.

I had them missing the playoffs before Weber and possibly Price gone. Now they’re a bottom 5 team.