The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Gabriel Landeskog left unprotected for expansion draft

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

I don't understand the praise for Sakic here. He may lose an asset like Landeskog for nothing and gets praise but Benning doesn't get assets for Hamhuis,Stetcher, Tanev, Toffoli, Markstrom  and fans threaten to tar and feather him and ride him on a rail out of town. The outcry on CDC would be unbearable if we would potentially lose a player of Landeskog's ilk for nothing.

I'm still neutral on firing vs. keeping Benning, but I think the Stecher, Tanev & Toffoli situations were sad because he seemed to have snubbed them all. Per reports, it seems like he didn't even tell them he was not going to offer them contracts. If there's any reason I'd be in the fire Benning camp it's because he seemed to snub those three guys - esp. bad when you consider all three wanted to stay after a decent playoff run, one was on the team for ages, one was from Richmond & the latter showed good success in a limited run.

The situation with Landeskog seems more like a Markstrom situation where he's asking for more than Sakic is willing to pay at the moment, so this makes it clear to both camps where they are at with negotiations. Markstrom knew he was not going to be retained a signed a new contract right away, which is fine to me. The other guys deserved that respect too.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Im all for making colorado worse so hoping hes selected and signs a huge contract with seattle 

Too risky for Seattle to select him knowing he likely wants to stay in Colorado.

Theyre better off taking Compher or Donskoi.

21 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Part of one of the highest scoring lines in the NHL this past season. With his ask on a new contract Sakic probably had to make hard choices. I seem to remember Landeskog went thru a tough patch 2 years ago. Maybe the dye was cast then.

thats possible for sure. It also possible that this is all just smoke and mirrors and GL has every intention of coming back to the Av's.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I'm still neutral on firing vs. keeping Benning, but I think the Stecher, Tanev & Toffoli situations were sad because he seemed to have snubbed them all. Per reports, it seems like he didn't even tell them he was not going to offer them contracts. If there's any reason I'd be in the fire Benning camp it's because he seemed to snub those three guys - esp. bad when you consider all three wanted to stay after a decent playoff run, one was on the team for ages, one was from Richmond & the latter showed good success in a limited run.

The situation with Landeskog seems more like a Markstrom situation where he's asking for more than Sakic is willing to pay at the moment, so this makes it clear to both camps where they are at with negotiations. Markstrom knew he was not going to be retained a signed a new contract right away, which is fine to me. The other guys deserved that respect too.

I am not trying to pump Benning's tires and agree that the players mentioned should have all been kept in the loop as to where they did or did not fit into the team's plans. I would be extremely surprised and disappointed if, in fact, that did not happen. 

My comment was more directed at CDC's constant obsession with asset management and "Benning should never let a player walk without getting an asset" mentality. There have been many comments that we should sell off at the trade deadline even when we are in a playoff position. They support this by saying "we are not a real Cup contender anyway" and I simply disagree with that sentiment.

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats possible for sure. It also possible that this is all just smoke and mirrors and GL has every intention of coming back to the Av's.

I think he's coming back too but it's still strange. The rumours are GL would sign for something like 6x7 (with the Avs) and even in this climate that's kind of a no-brainer as a starting point (maybe with some negotiations on clauses or a few 100k), so letting it go this far is not a good look.

GL is on record saying he's disappointed this wasn't done quite some time ago.

Edited by J-P
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Landeskog - Gourde - Tarasenko

Zucker  -              - Dadonov

Jarnkrok - Kerfoot - Appleton

___   - Giordano

____ - ___

Bean - Stetcher

Price

Holtby

Looking like Francis has some decent bricks to build with

Don't know how Seattle doesn't take Cal Foote from TBL... 

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Too risky for Seattle to select him knowing he likely wants to stay in Colorado.

Theyre better off taking Compher or Donskoi.

Well thats what this time is for. If seattle asks and says we will pay u that 9 or 10 mill i could see him being excited and sounds like his relationship with the avs is not good at all atm

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

I am not trying to pump Benning's tires and agree that the players mentioned should have all been kept in the loop as to where they did or did not fit into the team's plans. I would be extremely surprised and disappointed if, in fact, that did not happen. 

My comment was more directed at CDC's constant obsession with asset management and "Benning should never let a player walk without getting an asset" mentality. There have been many comments that we should sell off at the trade deadline even when we are in a playoff position. They support this by saying "we are not a real Cup contender anyway" and I simply disagree with that sentiment.

I am one of those you are probably talking about as far as "not a real Cup contender anyway". If an error is to be made I come down on the side of building toward a serious Cup contending team and doing so by selectively moving vets. That said I had no problem when Benning was signing mid to late 20 year olds in an effort to build a middle age group on the club. Megna etc. All this magnified by the empty shelves JB inherited. Letting players walk without a return is more a Covid Cap crisis. Prior to Covid the NHL Cap was increasing each year on a fairly predictable scale. The new American broadcast contract would have been a added kicker. 

I think teams have to develop on a timeline as much as possible. Since I think the Canucks are another 2-3 years out I prefer they play hardball with Edler and be prepared to let him move on. Keep one of Sutter, Rous and Beagle. The frozen Cap is an opportunity for Van to possibly snag some UFA talent.   

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

All the world’s a stage …..

• Vintage 1

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Report] Gabriel Landeskog left unprotected for expansion draft
5 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Landeskog - Gourde - Tarasenko

Zucker  -              - Dadonov

Jarnkrok - Kerfoot - Appleton

___   - Giordano

____ - ___

Bean - Stetcher

Price

Holtby

Looking like Francis has some decent bricks to build with

No way they tie up 15mill in goalies

• Cheers 1

Just now, Teemu Selänne said:

Yea, I agree. Thought about that after I posted it too.

I think Driedger & Holtby may be the combo, or maybe Adin Hill & Price.

Yeah I’m thinking they an insurance policy vet, Hill and a promising young goalie or 2 for the farm 

• Cheers 1

If I'm Seattle I am all over Landeskog.  He will be the face of your franchise and your captain.  And I take Price as well.  And Tarasenko.  I would build the team around those 3 veterans with a bunch of younger players like Appleton, etc.  

Seattle could have a very good team next year if they play their cards right.  Vegas almost won it all in their first year.  With the 3 veterans above and some young guns I think Seattle is a playoff team.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Since Seattle is in contact with all GMs, it is possible that they have a deal in place to flip Holtby. Several teams were interested in him.

They were trying to get us to retain salary on him as well.

Yup.  They can draft Price and Holtby and flip Holtby for a draft pick or someone better than Kole Lind.  Unless they are high on Virtanen, who is actually the best player than Vancouver is exposing.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1