The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Gabriel Landeskog left unprotected for expansion draft

Meh, if he wants to go to free agency then being exposed in the draft doesn't really change anything, other than (if selected) it gives Seattle a couple of days to try and sign him ahead of said free agency, no? If Landescog turned down Seattle in that window of opportunity granted by the draft, so he can hear other offers he can always cycle back later, or is there some kind of weird rule that would prevent Landeskog from signing with the team of his choice if he were to turn down an initial offer from Seattle?.

regards,  G.

Edited by Gollumpus

It's simple. If he wants to stay with the Avs he will accept their offer, albeit at a much reduced annual salary to what he is asking for. If he really wants to cash in, he will sign elsewhere. Carolina intrigues me. They have loads of cap space at the moment and he would be a perfect fit with their group. They are also a young dynamic team that could push for a cup in the next few years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

I don't understand the praise for Sakic here. He may lose an asset like Landeskog for nothing and gets praise but Benning doesn't get assets for Hamhuis,Stetcher, Tanev, Toffoli, Markstrom  and fans threaten to tar and feather him and ride him on a rail out of town. The outcry on CDC would be unbearable if we would potentially lose a player of Landeskog's ilk for nothing.

certainly seems like Sakic has dropped the ball on the relationship with the teams captain to me. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I don't understand the praise for Sakic here. He may lose an asset like Landeskog for nothing and gets praise but Benning doesn't get assets for Hamhuis,Stetcher, Tanev, Toffoli, Markstrom  and fans threaten to tar and feather him and ride him on a rail out of town. The outcry on CDC would be unbearable if we would potentially lose a player of Landeskog's ilk for nothing.

Obviously there's some unfair criticism of Benning (though a heck of a lot of fair criticism). Sometimes letting a player go instead of overpaying them can be a good move. In this vein, maybe Markstrom/Tanev is a fair comparison. The obvious difference between Sakic and Benning, though, is that Sakic has built a team that is going to be a perennial contender, while Benning...not. Hamhuis is not a fair comparison, and Toffoli is totally different. Benning's consistent blunders don't earn him the benefit of the doubt. Sakic's team-building kinda does.

• RoughGame 1

There's no way Lands will go to Seattle.  If he doesn't sign with the Avalanche, he will go to a contender. 

Could be Lands and Sakic have had preliminary discussions about re-signing.  If Lands walks, the Avs will really miss his beastly playoff game. 

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

In fairness they were in a cup run so no way they would trade Landeskog. Sakic won me over with his handling of the Duchene trade. He has built up some nice depth and he has a winning pedigree. He definitely knows the type of player it takes to win. 

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

They had a REAL  chance to win the cup.

we lose ufas for nothing for no reason we aren’t cup contenders we are barely a last wild card contender.

If the Avs we’re going to be near last I’d bet sakic would have moved GL at the deadline Jb would let him leave for nothing while finishing near last. 

Possible sakic isnt prepared to handcuff his team with a long term high cap value contract 

that will screw the team in a few years it’s called foresight something JB has displayed none of. 

cup contenders and bottom feeders usually have different mentalities towards pending ufas just like trading for rentals.

Jb has a bottom feeding team and he treats them like cup contenders.

• RoughGame 2

2 hours ago, KirkSave said:

It's simple. If he wants to stay with the Avs he will accept their offer, albeit at a much reduced annual salary to what he is asking for. If he really wants to cash in, he will sign elsewhere. Carolina intrigues me. They have loads of cap space at the moment and he would be a perfect fit with their group. They are also a young dynamic team that could push for a cup in the next few years.

Actually Carolina is kind of in a sticky situation. 29 mil in cap space but only 12 guys signed and 0 goalies signed. So their contract situation is a little complicated right now. They cant afford to add anyone from the outside quite yet. They need to figure out how they can sign 11 more players with  29.5mil cap space

14 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

That "9-10 million" rumour is probably just posturing to scare Seattle away from picking him.

I'm curious to see if Seattle would pick Ovechkin, tbh.

Seattle has exclusive rights to talk to RFA's/UFA's right now so I expect they will at least talk to players like Landescog and potentially make him an offer. If he accepts the offer he will count as the player taken from Colorado for purposes of the expansion draft. If they can't reach a deal then Seattle will likely just pick a player from Colorado's unprotected list. There is nothing that should scare Seattle away from talking to him as they have nothing to lose. They may talk to Ovechkin as well but I think Ovie has always said the only other team he could see himself playing for is Montreal.

Seattle's RFA/UFA interview period

The Kraken have an exclusive window from July 18 at 10 a.m. ET to July 21 at 10 a.m. ET to speak with, and potentially sign any RFAs or UFAs left unprotected for the expansion draft by the 30 NHL clubs (Vegas is exempt from the expansion draft).Jun. 11, 2021

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

certainly seems like Sakic has dropped the ball on the relationship with the teams captain to me. 

Part of one of the highest scoring lines in the NHL this past season. With his ask on a new contract Sakic probably had to make hard choices. I seem to remember Landeskog went thru a tough patch 2 years ago. Maybe the dye was cast then.