The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Luke Hughes

3 minutes ago, Jd83 said:

Is there a way we could trade up in the draft to get Luke Hughes? What would that take?

I'm hoping that Bob Mackenzies rankings are accurate enough, since he's #8 on the board.  One of the earlier teams may take Wallstedt and then BAM Hughes is available at #9.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Jd83 said:

Is there a way we could trade up in the draft to get Luke Hughes? What would that take?

So hard to predict what it would take, if hes there at 8 then obvs less than trading for the 4OA... Lets hope he falls. 

My NHL Draft has us drafting Simon Edvinsson, who looks pretty clutch honestly.

All depends on what New Jersey does. I think if they pass on him we have a shot at him dropping to 9th. Odds aren’t great but it’s for sure possible. I anticipate a couple surprises in the top 10

I'd be happy with Power, Berniers, Edvinsson, Guenther, Johnson. Eklund, McTavish, Hughes & Clarke I'm not sure of, but still sounds good. And I'm sure another 20th+ pick will be one of the best in this draft anyway. Either way, I'm good with us having the 9th pick, and I don't think we would need to or should sacrifice picks/players just to ensure grabbing Hughes. If we get him, good on us!

Edited by Forsy

I think it depends on NJD.  If they pass on Hughes that would be a big surprise.  And if Wallstedt ends up going top 8 Id be really curious how things pan out.  Clarke too is factor.  For a defenseman Id be extremely happy with Hughes or Clarke at 9OA (I think)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YEGCanuck said:

I have to wonder in the event we draft Hughes, would that place any undue pressure on one or both of the brothers? 

Hughes boys have been programmed by their Olympian mother and professional coach father to deal the pressures of professional hockey and expectations of rabid hockey fans.  I'd go out on a limb and say the Hughes boys would welcome and embrace "undue" pressure.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Jd83 said:

I have zero interest in Luke Hughes.  Last thing this team needs is another LD PMD.  If the Canucks do draft Luke however, then they should move Rathbone for someone playing a different position.

6 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Finally someone understands. Hes not passing 8 unless at 8 both Clarke and Hughes are available 

Reminds me of the 2019 draft where we were 1 pick away from zegras :(

Speaking of the 2019 draft, Hoglander has the fourth highest point totals so far from that class.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Speaking of the 2019 draft, Hoglander has the fourth highest point totals so far from that class.

We drafted zero defenseman that year.

I literally sh!t myself; ask @aGENT ?  I also always candidly and repeatedly admitted Hoglander was a fantastic pick.  A walking (skating) match up buster. Guys literally could not keep up with him!  There are times when a true BPA stands out?

There is often a BPA on the board.  While also an extremely good position player. LW left handed shot?  There will be 100 drafted each year.  Legitimate right handed D? with composure that can keep pace, make a first pass...  Just 2 or 5. Sometimes less? LHD that are low risk, high reward (like Luke Hughes?) . 6 or 10?

My order of priority is Power (too good), Clarke, Beniers (too good), Edvinsson, Eklund (more advanced and skilled Hoglander), and I am at odds between Hughes & Guenther.  I believe Guenther is BPA among the two, but there will be more opportunities to grab LW's.  If any of Hughes, Clarke, Edvinsson is on the board at 9; I wont likely be walking away...  

Particularly Clarke!

It could be 10 years before we get another top RHD.  

10 hours ago, Johnny Torts said:

So hard to predict what it would take, if hes there at 8 then obvs less than trading for the 4OA... Lets hope he falls. 

My NHL Draft has us drafting Simon Edvinsson, who looks pretty clutch honestly.

tenor.gif?itemid=6047411

• Haha 1

IMO if the Canucks are going to trade up for anyone it should be to secure Brandt Clarke

Luke Hughes has been ranked anywhere from 4th to 11th by analysts, I agree the Canucks should take him if he's BPA but otherwise I don't think it's worth trading up for.

14 hours ago, Forsy said:

I'd be happy with Power, Berniers, Edvinsson, Guenther, Johnson. Eklund, McTavish, Hughes & Clarke I'm not sure of, but still sounds good. And I'm sure another 20th+ pick will be one of the best in this draft anyway. Either way, I'm good with us having the 9th pick, and I don't think we would need to or should sacrifice picks/players just to ensure grabbing Hughes. If we get him, good on us!

Yup, we pick in a good spot...There are 5-6 names i'd be more than happy with, which is a nice feeling to have instead of hoping to land 'our guy'

I'm on the Edvinsson train (I feel like he will have a Mattias Ohlundesque career for the Nucks) he'd be my #1 choice, but would love McTavish, Hughes, Beniers, etc. I like the top 10 this year!

• Cheers 2