The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

When are Canuck buy outs happening?

Rate this topic

HockeyHarry

2 hours ago, CanuckinEdm said:

I highly doubt that Loui get bought out, if they do its 2 mil cap savings this year and 1 mil cap penalty next or we bury him in the minors this season and you save 1,125,000 this year and he's gone and we never have to see this again. 

spacer.png

We might need that $875k this year. Pays for a depth roster player. Buy out also saves the owner, real, actual cash.

I'm fine either way, but it's a serious possibility.

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Ummmmm, too much caffeine???

I would expect buyouts to start happening after the entry draft as Canucks are probably trying to package guys to avoid having to buy them out.

The window doesn't close for another week, there's lots of time!

JV is the obvious one, but who else I wonder.

3 minutes ago, Johnny Torts said:

JV is the obvious one, but who else I wonder.

I don't think any of the teams wanted to make significant moves until after the expansion draft. Other than doing basics to get something for someone they were going to lose, like we did with Dallas, everyone else is in holding pattern.

I think we're going to see a dizzying level of moves between tomorrow when the trade embargo lifts, and the start of free agency.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I don't think any of the teams wanted to make significant moves until after the expansion draft. Other than doing basics to get something for someone they were going to lose, like we did with Dallas, everyone else is in holding pattern.

I think we're going to see a dizzying level of moves between tomorrow when the trade embargo lifts, and the start of free agency.

I just hope theres some side deal rumours and trade rumours to talk about soon, since the expansion draft ended at like 10AM. LOL.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Jake's probably won't happen until there's some definitive answer regarding his legal issues.
Holtby might get traded (apparently there's interest from some teams for him).
The other deadweights should just be buried to wait out their final year, or traded where possible.

Absolutely agree. If he’s found not guilty he has some kind of value in a package deal. If he’s not then we just buy him out. 
although this would be a similar situation to the LA kings forward (name escapes me right now) didn’t they just void his contract. Not sure 

5 hours ago, mrturkish said:

Absolutely agree. If he’s found not guilty he has some kind of value in a package deal. If he’s not then we just buy him out. 
although this would be a similar situation to the LA kings forward (name escapes me right now) didn’t they just void his contract. Not sure 

Defenseman Slava Voynov.  Domestic assault which led to suspension in the league and then returned to Russia.
I guess Jake will have to sign overseas if he wants to keep playing and join the likes of Leipsic etc. (wonder if DeAngelo signs abroad too).

18 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

Canucks keep saying buyouts are coming, so whats the hold up. The Wild did theirs.

Cone on Jimbo drop the hammer so we got cap room.

Go Canucks Go

Umm………

…….what?……………

Hopefully no one gets bought out and we’re clean off the books by the start of the 2022-2023 season.

Edited by Me_

14 hours ago, mrturkish said:

No I was talking about Mike Richards caught with drugs at the border and LA just fired him. I had forgotten about Voynov. 

14 hours ago, mrturkish said:

The buyout window closes on the 27th of July.

LA was trying to trade Richards when that came to light.  They stopped trade talks and voided his contract.  As Richards appealed, the NHL/NHLPA agreed on a special agreement for them to terminate his contract.  They have a termination penalty and had his recapture penalty on their books.

• Thanks 1