The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

35 minutes ago, J-P said:

Yes, good point. He was signed to enable one or two more playoff runs for the twins. That didn't work out and no matter who you blame for that (unrealistic to begin with? Maybe WD wasn't the perfect coach least of all in the playoffs?) what he did the years after that are irrelevant in the big picture. 

If you look at the age of the Sedins when Eriksson was signed, I truly believe the 6 year term was intended to match the Sedins age and expected retirement of 40 years old. But the Twins retired before their 37th birthday. 2 seasons after signing Eriksson. If memory serves me right, the Twins were asked about the idea of signing Eriksson to play with them and they felt it was a good fit because they have had some international chemistry. I could swear there was quote about the Sedings being asked about it. You look at a good portion of 1st line players, they retire around 40. The twins, despite not putting up many points in their final season, were #2 and #3 in team scoring. They could have helped and benefitted as a 2nd line role if we had a legit 1st line to take over for them and bump them back.

Heres an article and a little foreshadow of Willie D’s thoughts on Eriksson and how he wanted to use him.

“We expect 25 to 30, but the thing about Loui is that he’s so good defensively,” said the Canucks coach. “Every bit as good as he is offensively, he’s that good defensively. He’ll have a number of roles for us.”

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/kuzma-sedins-high-on-new-linemate-eriksson/wcm/02534920-2d6a-4470-9630-a33dcc054210/amp/

15 hours ago, knucklehead91 said:

Are you seriously on a second account? Lol bud you are a Virtanen jock sniffer, who are you to talk about defending people.

I have been a member of this board for 6 years. I don't post much because I don't really have the time but I do read quite a few of these threads. I find this is the best site to get my Canucks rumors, signings (thanks vintage) and constructive hockey talk.

What I don't like is posters like yourself that seem hell bent on attacking other posters to stroke their own ego. Don't you ever wonder why everyone is laughing and picking on you? It's not just because you are in love with loui and think he can do no wrong. It's because you are being a child and lashing out against anyone who doesn't share your opinion. This is a hockey board, not an elementary school playground.

As for actual hockey talk. I don't see how anyone could view eriksson's tenure here as anything but a disappointment (including himself). He never even showed a glimmer of the player he was signed to be. Of course he did the "little things" and was a decent defensive forward but that's not what he was paid to do. He would have been a great 1.5 million dollar player but was an absolute embarrassment at 6 million.

Dig your head in the sand and blame everyone you want. Truth of the matter is he played himself down the lineup all the way to the pressbox despite ownership, management, the coaching staff and fan's best wishes.

• RoughGame 1

13 minutes ago, mcchorvirt said:

I have been a member of this board for 6 years. I don't post much because I don't really have the time but I do read quite a few of these threads. I find this is the best site to get my Canucks rumors, signings (thanks vintage) and constructive hockey talk.

What I don't like is posters like yourself that seem hell bent on attacking other posters to stroke their own ego. Don't you ever wonder why everyone is laughing and picking on you? It's not just because you are in love with loui and think he can do no wrong. It's because you are being a child and lashing out against anyone who doesn't share your opinion. This is a hockey board, not an elementary school playground.

As for actual hockey talk. I don't see how anyone could view eriksson's tenure here as anything but a disappointment (including himself). He never even showed a glimmer of the player he was signed to be. Of course he did the "little things" and was a decent defensive forward but that's not what he was paid to do. He would have been a great 1.5 million dollar player but was an absolute embarrassment at 6 million.

Dig your head in the sand and blame everyone you want. Truth of the matter is he played himself down the lineup all the way to the pressbox despite ownership, management, the coaching staff and fan's best wishes.

The funny thing is you are runnin around here paper bagging anyone who has anything good to say about a player, regardless of how their overall time was spent here. Its fans like you that make Players cringe at the thought of signing with a franchise. You and other “fans” acknowledge only the “bad” and blame 1 single guy in a team sport on a sh*t team with sh*t players and sh*t depth. You think having a roster of Skille, Chaput, Megna and Gaunce, Loui Eriksson is the one holding us back? Lol get a grip on reality. And dig your head out of your arse, you came into this discussion, the hockey board as you call it and throw nothing but sarcasm and bring ZERO hockey talk to this board. All you bring is the troll you are and im going to respond back to your sarcasm with my own thoughts. You come in with nothing to add, you’ll get nothing good in return. Either discuss hockey and counter argue with facts and some actual in depth analysis or stay off the hockeyboard. Ive brought nothing but actual hockey talk and points to prove and you come in here to mock hockey talk, I have no problem throwing it right back in your face mr Virtanen fanboy.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, mcchorvirt said:

People come at me because Loui Eriksson is an easy target. And people like you come out of the woods to throw shade because you feel everyone is on your side when it comes to Eriksson, when you dont have the balls to go against the mob. You are afraid to stick up for the minority because you are afraid to be called out, so you join in and feel like you can be part of something and get a few likes on your post. 

I have zero problems going against the grain and sticking up for Loui Eriksson who came in and was a true professional during his time here on a basement dwelling Canucks team. And all you “fans” blame one guy on a 23 man roster that no one could score on. 

edit: @coryberg another troll without any clue about hockey. You both cant even bring something to the table other than “loui sucks” you look at his stats but dont look at the rest of the team. Garbage fans, you arent fans of the sport one bit. You are just bandwagoners

Edited by knucklehead91
  • Wat 3

2 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

People come at me because Loui Eriksson is an easy target. And people like you come out of the woods to throw shade because you feel everyone is on your side when it comes to Eriksson, when you dont have the balls to go against the mob. You are afraid to stick up for the minority because you are afraid to be called out, so you join in and feel like you can be part of something and get a few likes on your post. 

I have zero problems going against the grain and sticking up for Loui Eriksson who came in and was a true professional during his time here on a basement dwelling Canucks team. And all you “fans” blame one guy on a 23 man roster that no one could score on. 

I appreciate you're in depth analysis on LE, I think we all can agree here that he is great defensively. But I don't agree that he wasn't given a fair chance. He was given time with the Sedins and with Horvat. In both instances he could not produce. Maybe it was situational due to injury as you stated. But the hard fact is that this is a show me business and through his tenure here he never could show that offensive skill he used to have. I myself was shocked because I was a big LE fan, and stuck by him for the first 3 years. After that however I just felt like I was watching a player just going through the motions but wasn't 100 % there. I don't think he was ready for our kind of fan base and the intense pressure of it all, then you add in his failing business. It just seems to me with everything going on in his life he couldn't balance all of it and really focus on the hockey side of things.

I don't think it's out of question that he could have a reasonable rebound in the desert where there is no fan pressure at all.

I kinda feel the same way about Gundbranson when he was here, he hated the spot light and I think the pressure got to him.

Some guys just do better for smaller market teams.

I wish him nothing but the best, but boy am I done talking about him.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

edit: @coryberg another troll without any clue about hockey. You both cant even bring something to the table other than “loui sucks” you look at his stats but dont look at the rest of the team. Garbage fans, you arent fans of the sport one bit. You are just bandwagoners

7e4.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Wat 3

40 minutes ago, mcchorvirt said:

And wasnt it you that came at me for providing stats and information to back up Loui Erikssons role and usesage here??? Isnt it your ego of being a know it all without any actual research the issue on these forums? Speaking on a matter without ANY indepth research and analysis. Ive provided more than enough information and quotes to back up it was utilization that led to LEs lack of production

Willie Desjardins on the Eriksson signing

“We expect 25 to 30, but the thing about Loui is that he’s so good defensively,” said the Canucks coach. “Every bit as good as he is offensively, he’s that good defensively. He’ll have a number of roles for us.”

read between the lines.

27 minutes ago, gurn said:

Interesting, do you have any back up or link to a site that supports this? :)

Hockey-reference.com

naturalstatrick.com

https://www.rotowire.com/hockey/player.php?id=1939

https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/players/loui-eriksson

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/kuzma-sedins-high-on-new-linemate-eriksson/wcm/02534920-2d6a-4470-9630-a33dcc054210/amp/

its really not hard to find information

where is everyone elses links? Just NHL.com? And Hockeydb? 

Edit: If you pay attention to the NHL you will see plenty of guys who were dominant 1st line players who played til they were 40ish and as time went on they slowly regressed to 2nd or 3rd line players. Just go look around the league the last 15 years. We lost to 42 year old Recchi in the finals. Ray Borque won a cup at 39. Lidstrom, Chara, Thornton, Marleau, Ray Whitney, Brindamour, Tim Thomas, Luongo… there are plenty of players who played into their 40s

edit: keep in mind the Twins put up 50-55points in their final year as 1st line players. They could have definitely played 2nd line minutes effectively til they turned 40

Edited by knucklehead91

53 minutes ago, mcchorvirt said:

You should try to understand what knucklehead writes… If Green use Loui for defence why blame Loui?

• Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I appreciate you're in depth analysis on LE, I think we all can agree here that he is great defensively. But I don't agree that he wasn't given a fair chance. He was given time with the Sedins and with Horvat. In both instances he could not produce. Maybe it was situational due to injury as you stated. But the hard fact is that this is a show me business and through his tenure here he never could show that offensive skill he used to have. I myself was shocked because I was a big LE fan, and stuck by him for the first 3 years. After that however I just felt like I was watching a player just going through the motions but wasn't 100 % there. I don't think he was ready for our kind of fan base and the intense pressure of it all, then you add in his failing business. It just seems to me with everything going on in his life he couldn't balance all of it and really focus on the hockey side of things.

I don't think it's out of question that he could have a reasonable rebound in the desert where there is no fan pressure at all.

I kinda feel the same way about Gundbranson when he was here, he hated the spot light and I think the pressure got to him.

Some guys just do better for smaller market teams.

I wish him nothing but the best, but boy am I done talking about him.

Well, I’ve read his analyse. Injuries, weak defence and so on dried up Louis offence. 

I’ve seen a lot of missed chances by Canuck players so why is it so bad when it’s Loui missing chances? 

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

Well, I’ve read his analyse. Injuries, weak defence and so on dried up Louis offence. 

I’ve seen a lot of missed chances by Canuck players so why is it so bad when it’s Loui missing chances? 

They are young and learning so i'd say they have more rope to work with.

LE is not. Benning threw a lot of money at lots of veterans like LE to try and keep our team competitive at the start. A lot of those contracts didn't work out. And we all complained about them too you know.

When you pay for performance and scoring and get none, it kinda goes that way. I don't like how hard LE has been bashed on here. But he isn't alone, there have been lots of other players roasted by the fans too not just him.

I'm not saying it's fair, but we have passionate fans and they will make it be known when they do or don't like you. Which is why I felt bad for LE and his situation. I really hoped we got the guy I watched in Dallas and Boston for all those years. But we didn't. You can't say that we did get that guy. From day 1 LE has been a square peg in a round hole on this team. They tried to find a line for him, moved him all around. Nothing worked. No hard feelings, time to move on.

Don't worry another one will be found as a replacement i'm sure! As fair or not fair as that may be.

And I honestly do hope he finds himself again and finishes his career on a high note. 

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

Hockey-reference.com

naturalstatrick.com

https://www.rotowire.com/hockey/player.php?id=1939

https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/players/loui-eriksson

its really not hard to find information

where is everyone elses links? Just NHL.com? And Hockeydb? 

Edit: If you pay attention to the NHL you will see plenty of guys who were dominant 1st line players who played til they were 40ish and as time went on they slowly regressed to 2nd or 3rd line players. Just go look around the league the last 15 years. We lost to 42 year old Recchi in the finals. Ray Borque won a cup at 39. Lidstrom, Chara, Thornton, Marleau, Ray Whitney, Brindamour, Tim Thomas, Luongo… there are plenty of players who played into their 40s

Yes I know a few players last into their forties, however you said a good portion, so I wanted a bit more evidence of your assertion. 

Now as someone that does "pay attention to the NHL", I just wanted to say:

I'm done with you. I asked a question, I even smile faced it, and this is the type of reply?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

$36 million reasons.  

I am sure he is not a bad guy? And I cheered when we signed him. But it did not work out...

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Yes I know a few players last into their forties, however you said a good portion, so I wanted a bit more evidence of your assertion. 

Now as someone that does "pay attention to the NHL", I just wanted to say:

I'm done with you. I asked a question, I even smile faced it, and this is the type of reply?

You asked a question and I said that if you paid attention around the NHL there are players who played into their 40s. I did not intend for it to be confrontational. You asked a question to provide proof. If you watched the NHL you would know that players can play into their 40s. You came across as someone who didnt believe that players can play into their 40s and you wanted proof. And I said a good portion of elite level players. The Sedins fit into that category of being elite. They were special players and had special moments right up to their last shift in Rogers arena. They could have easily kept playing if they actually had youth to take over the 1st line role.

• Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

Okay so riddle me this

Vancouver sucked because Loui Eriksson couldnt score right? 
Loui signed in 2016-17 

how about that 2015-16 Canucks team?

We finished 28th in the league

we finished 29th in the league for scoring with a pathetic 191 goals

Eriksson wasnt with us then?? How come we sucked so much?? 
The problem existed well before Eriksson and if you naive fans think that 30 goal scorer is going to take us from the bottom and turn us into a contender, you are a complete fool and have zero awareness as to what the hell is going on with the team. 
heres the beastly 2015-16 team that was derailed by Loui Eriksson

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000392016.html 
Its a shame that we signed Loui Eriksson and how he destroyed the hopes and dreams of that roster. @Canuck Surfer im sorry Loui’s 36 million reasons tanked the team on a bottom feeder. Lol he signed for 6x6 on a basement dwelling rebuilding team and ruined our chance at a cup. Lmao

you “fans” are hating a guy for literally zero reason. The team sucked and was basically a last place team when he got here and was a last place team rebuilding almost the entire duration of his 6 year contract. Like talk about crying over spilled milk. Who cares if he made 10 mil and we lost every night and produced at a 30goal rate year by year. We still would be a bottom 5 team.

Edited by knucklehead91
  • Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, knucklehead91 said:

Lol i see you have gone from 4 and 5 letter words to pictures lmao. image.gif.ad51e0ae6f5fb619c453ad4b7501491f.gif

So you quote me, write a single sentence and a meme. What does that say about you.... anyways I've been roped into your shtick long enough. Not gonna get sucked in with your horrible "I get the last word" comebacks. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1