The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

7 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I still keep pinching myself that this trade actually happened. We are gonna see a brand new canucks team next year. No more old guard. New guard is in. Exciting.

As much as last year hurt the team, it also hurt the fans. A change was needed for everyone to get excited again.

Edited by playboi19
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Exactly!  OEL just turned 30.  He’s just in his prime.  And we got Garland (25) who is just entering his prime.  Plus, we dumperooed on Arizona:  Little Things, a Rooster, and a Dog!  That’s a serious taking to the woodshed trade.  

Haha, indeed out to pasture they go. Retirement is nice in Arizona apparently ;) The perfect place for Loui to "sit" out his contract. What a dud.

• Vintage 2

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Exactly!  OEL just turned 30.  He’s just in his prime.  And we got Garland (25) who is just entering his prime.  Plus, we dumperooed on Arizona:  Little Things, a Rooster, and a Dog!  That’s a serious taking to the woodshed trade.  

The jury is still out on taking on OEL. He needs to be a lot better defensively than he has been the last few years.

Getting rid of one year of Eriksson, Beagle, and Roussel helps this year. But there is still a lot of risk here. Trading one year of dead cap for a huge 6 year contract carries some risk.

Remember, Loui Eriksson was also 30 when he signed his 6 year contract that took 5 years to get rid of.

OEL could very well turn into a big cap waste a few years down the road even if he does manage to rebound this year, which isnt a guarantee. He has been pretty bad defensivelybeven relative to his Arizona teammates. Hopefully a change of scenery will change that.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The jury is still out on taking on OEL. He needs to be a lot better defensively than he has been the last few years.

Getting rid of one year of Eriksson, Beagle, and Roussel helps this year. But there is still a lot of risk here. Trading one year of dead cap for a huge 6 year contract carries some risk.

Remember, Loui Eriksson was also 30 when he signed his 6 year contract that took 5 years to get rid of.

OEL could very well turn into a big cap waste a few years down the road even if he does manage to rebound this year, which isnt a guarantee. He has been pretty bad defensivelybeven relative to his Arizona teammates. Hopefully a change of scenery will change that.

Usually just by you and all the other naysayers on the board. You are welcome to keep on hoping though.

Edited by FaninMex
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

You are right, Eriksson was 30 when he signed that deal.

I sometimes wonder why he fell off the cliff. It wasn't a gradual decline but a free fall for Eriksson. Complacency after earning the final contract of his playing career? He seemed to be in good shape conditioning wise; I guess he stopped doing the things that made him successful, like going to the net and potting garbage goals.

As long as OEL rebounds and plays well for the next 3 years, on par with Edler on the defensive side of things and better than Edler on the offensive side of things, I am willing to accept a gradual decline in the last 3 years of his deal.

I'm hoping that since Edler played so well into his mid 30's, that OEL will also be good for the next 4-5 years.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

Just now, flickyoursedin said:

Really excited for hockey to start! Can’t wait to see these new additions in action.

Yup.  Huge improvements this off season.  OEL is a big upgrade on Mr. PED.  Garland, Podzilla, Dickinson.  At least 101 points.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

he doesn't know how good or bad OEL has been the past few years - he takes his cues from other people who take their cues from other people who parrot whatever they read on message boards and weekend warrior blogs.  probably saw 5 minutes of OEL - and doesn't know how to assess a player based on usage, outcomes, etc - objective metrics.   claimed that Arizona was desperate to dump OEL because Chychrun is as 'close to an all around #1 as they come'.   Whatever fantasy story floats the e-boat.

Actually, I watch a lot of hockey around the NHL. Watching only one team is boring especially the way the Canucks have played the last few years. The NJD of the 90's were more exciting to watch. 

My opinion on OEL's defensive decline and why Arizona wanted to get rid of him and his contract is rooted in not just the eye test of watching him play but also in the fancy stats you pretend to be an expert on. I just believe people who are actually experts rather than you.

You constantly skew stats and belittle actual experts who make their living compiling and analyzing them anytime they dont fit your biased narrative.

Go ahead, look at the "metrics" then try to explain how OEL was not pushed down the depth chart by Chychrun. Or that he has not been a drain defensively the past few years. It will be interesting to see how you explain away what has already been largely reported out there by actual experts.

Can OEL rebound from the indisputable decline in his defensive play the last several years? Sure, anything is possible. Thats different though than trying to defy the actual facts and pretend there has been no decline and that there is no risk to 6 more years at a huge cap hit for a guy who has declined.

But of course, pretending you know better than the experts is kind of your schtick so you do you bud.

• Wat 6

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Actually, I watch a lot of hockey around the NHL. Watching only one team is boring especially the way the Canucks have played the last few years. The NJD of the 90's were more exciting to watch. 

My opinion on OEL's defensive decline and why Arizona wanted to get rid of him and his contract is rooted in not just the eye test of watching him play but also in the fancy stats you pretend to be an expert on. I just believe people who are actually experts rather than you.

You constantly skew stats and belittle actual experts who make their living compiling and analyzing them anytime they dont fit your biased narrative.

Go ahead, look at the "metrics" then try to explain how OEL was not pushed down the depth chart by Chychrun. Or that he has not been a drain defensively the past few years. It will be interesting to see how you explain away what has already been largely reported out there by actual experts.

Can OEL rebound from the indisputable decline in his defensive play the last several years? Sure, anything is possible. Thats different though than trying to defy the actual facts and pretend there has been no decline and that there is no risk to 6 more years at a huge cap hit for a guy who has declined.

But of course, pretending you know better than the experts is kind of your schtick so you do you bud.

I lost you, 100%, when you mentioned the early 90's NJ devils.   If you don't like watching the Canucks, then why are you on this site...boring or not it's better then any other team every single year for me at least.  There is always Canucks hockey first - then the rest.  It's the way it should be with any fan at least that's how i see it.   Now if it was the mid 90's NJ devil's then i guess i see your point lol.  They were pretty good.   And something most don't know, the later 90's team's actually had some of the best offense in the entire league AND could trap better then anyone.   

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3