The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Danila Klimovich | C

16 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I agree Klim looks great. He wanted that comeback, and he made it happen. He does get beat in puck battles and beaten off the puck on the PP at times, in a weaker league. I think an off-season of adding muscle will be huge for him. He's not quite NHL ready this year but I could see next year getting some games in the case of injuries. Pretty exciting to see that for a 2nd rounder of this year's draft.

What we saw yesterday in the first 2 periods (him losing puck battles on the power play) is primarily due to him being extremely nervous + getting used to playing the point on the power play (he never played that position before). The kid will be fine :-)

If Klimovich keeps his pace up in the AHL and Podz keeps struggling... should the Canucks consider calling up Klimovich and sending Podz down to Abby? I don't think the big league club wants both on the team at the same time right now but I'd be interested to see how Klim does in the NHL soon.

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Klimovich won't see the NHL this year, there is no reason not to give him a full year in Abbotsford. 

Pods, I would send down for 2 or 3 games playing top 6.

Klim needs to stay in the A for sure, Podz should be in our lineup over Mr. PTO though, but we have an idiot of a coach so until he is gone this team will continue to make odd decisions with young players. Now its Podz, soon after it could be the new flavour of the month Klimovich...

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Klimovich won't see the NHL this year, there is no reason not to give him a full year in Abbotsford. 

Pods, I would send down for 2 or 3 games playing top 6.

He was told by the management that one of the reasons they are keeping him in Abbotsford is to have an option to call him up to NHL if needed.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Klim needs to stay in the A for sure, Podz should be in our lineup over Mr. PTO though, but we have an idiot of a coach so until he is gone this team will continue to make odd decisions with young players. Now its Podz, soon after it could be the new flavour of the month Klimovich...

The coach assembles who he thinks gives us the best chance of winning. Pods still has a LOT to learn about being an NHL forward, and sometimes a couple of games watching and learning, is not a bad thing. If you give young players too much rope and don't make sure that they are learning to play the right way at both ends of the ice, you wind up killing the players career.

I think fans need to show a little patience, because we've seen what a lack of it did in Edmonton.

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I haven't watched him play in Abbotsford yet, but in exhibition, as good as he looked creating offense, he was struggling in his own end against seasoned NHL player.

It's not impossible that he plays in the NHL this year, but he has a LOT of work to do on how to neutralize experienced, physically mature players before they will risk it.

Let him grow and gain confidence, Abbotsford is the perfect place for him right now. The team can work with him on strength, conditioning and language.

No disagreement at all. If they do bring him up, it would be for a very sheltered experience.

• Cheers 3

47 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

The coach assembles who he thinks gives us the best chance of winning. Pods still has a LOT to learn about being an NHL forward, and sometimes a couple of games watching and learning, is not a bad thing. If you give young players too much rope and don't make sure that they are learning to play the right way at both ends of the ice, you wind up killing the players career.

I think fans need to show a little patience, because we've seen what a lack of it did in Edmonton.

I was thinking exactly the same thing when watching the 5-game video ... watch the segment when Baum, Shaw and Gustafson are going over coverages, exits etc.  I know Podz' understanding is decent, but fast-speaking English, in technical terms, would have been largely over his head.  A couple of games watching and self-analysing, seeing how the coverages work and the breakout patterns are used will do wonders for his game

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Have the fans not been patient...how many years under JB?? Coach Green been here a while too and other than our lucky bubble run he has been worse overall than coach Willie D...yet we still kept him on as coach...

Fans pay big bucks for licensed merchandise, tickets to live games, concessions, parking etc. I think some fans have had enough of the same old same old and want changes, big changes...

Could this team eventually get to a level of the 2011 team, I hope so!! But like GM GIllis, the new GM will get the credit for the teams performance when it is good, not the prior GM's who drafted or traded for said franchise players...and the new GM will trade picks/prospects and hand out NTC/NMC just like GM Gillis did.

Our team looks good on paper, we need to improve our PK and make a bold trade. But getting a fresh set of eyes in as GM and a NEW Coach will bring the best out of our current team...in this fans opinion.

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Have the fans not been patient...how many years under JB?? Coach Green been here a while too and other than our lucky bubble run he has been worse overall than coach Willie D...yet we still kept him on as coach...

Fans pay big bucks for licensed merchandise, tickets to live games, concessions, parking etc. I think some fans have had enough of the same old same old and want changes, big changes...

Could this team eventually get to a level of the 2011 team, I hope so!! But like GM GIllis, the new GM will get the credit for the teams performance when it is good, not the prior GM's who drafted or traded for said franchise players...and the new GM will trade picks/prospects and hand out NTC/NMC just like GM Gillis did.

Our team looks good on paper, we need to improve our PK and make a bold trade. But getting a fresh set of eyes in as GM and a NEW Coach will bring the best out of our current team...in this fans opinion.

Fans have been generally patient and we're now being rewarded with a team that is full of young talent like Horvat, Boeser, Hoglander, Hughes, Pettersson, Garland, Demko, and Rathbone. Promising prospects like Podkolzin, Klimovich, Lockwood, Woo, DiPietro and Silovs, probably the deepest prospect and young talent pool, in the history of this team.

Now, you want to rush one or two players because you think the fans have a level of entitlement to see them play in the NHL, as opposed to when coaching and management, the guys who get paid to develop players and have been doing it for a LONG time, think they are really ready?

How did that work in Edmonton? They should have won the cup 4 years ago with the level of talent they have been gifted through the draft system, but they killed the development of a number of 1st overall picks and other high draft picks, but trying to require too much of them, too fast.

We are close to finishing the rebuild, this should be a playoff team this year, but we have some stuff to address. Some of it was addressed during the summer, but Sutter is likely done for the season if not his career, Hamonic will likely be back but who knows when and Motte will be back soon and will help with our penalty killing.

We need work on defense, even if Hamonic comes back, we still need another prospect along the lines of Rathbone to play right side, and that might be something that can only be accomplished through trade.

Again, be patient, we are almost there. There aren't shortcuts to building a winning team.

• Like 2
  • RoughGame 1

Disagree Mr. Vegas, losing Gadj and sitting Podz over some veteran who was on a PTO is not the best choice for those younger players, 1 is now on the Sharks who just happen to have some size and grit. When Garland is your most aggressive forward your team is soft as Charmin and will NEVER win a Stanley Cup

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Disagree Mr. Vegas, losing Gadj and sitting Podz over some veteran who was on a PTO is not the best choice for those younger players, 1 is now on the Sharks who just happen to have some size and grit. When Garland is your most aggressive forward your team is soft as Charmin and will NEVER win a Stanley Cup

Podz will be back in the game, probably tomorrow night, now that they have some practice time with him again. Chiasson has been a really effective player for us.

While it sucked losing Gadjovich for nothing, its also likely that they tried to trade him before waiving him, and EVERY team in the league, occasionally loses someone on waivers that they didn't want to. There wasn't specifically a spot for Gadjovich in the Canucks lineup as he's not suited to a 4th line game. Is what it is, he can be replaced.

7 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

How are you defining "aggressive"?

It's not on hits  -  here's the list (per 60 mins of ice time, to even out usage) ....

Lammikko. - 6.8

Highmore - 6.46

Miller - 5.96

Dickinson  - 5.85

Chiasson.   4.16

Boeser - 3.28

Dowling  - 2.72

Hoglander  - 2.57

Garland. - 2.31

Maybe takeaways (aggressive on the forecheck, intense backchecking?)  - per 60 mins .....

Horvat.  2.39

Lammikko. 2.26

Dickinson  2.19

Pettersson  1.90

Podkolzin 1.64

Hoglander.  1.28

Boeser. 1.09

Dowling.  0.90

Highmore. 0.80

Pearson  0.58

Garland. 0.57

I'm not knocking Garland. - he is aggressive, feisty, talented and goes to the hard areas. - as Hirsch said, he drags the whole team into the scrum. He doesn't know that he is only 5'7" 

But he's not our most aggressive forward

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1