The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Danila Klimovich | C

On 11/10/2021 at 7:29 AM, 73 Percent said:

Yeah now they are. 2 weeks later...

Also does 1 pt -6 and 9min atoi count as playing? Because that's what those 2 are combined after 14 games lol.

What I like more is the players left that are doing such a great job for the Canucks. Yeah, you're right, that sure sounds exactly like the fourth line dogs we have killing penalties right now - damn, aren’t we the WORST in the league? Aren’t we actually the worst in team history with this bunch?  So, not only are they worse, they can’t even stand up for themselves, never mind their teammates - at least MacEwen and Gadjovich were capable of that.

In addition, player development also consists of bringing on your younger projects in the NHL - something we fail at in spades, because unless you are a first liner or should have been (Demko, Hoglander), you will get precious little development from Green. Most other teams develop their picks - we scarcely have any picks on the farm: Woo, Focht, DiPietro, Silovs, Lockwood, and Klimovuch.

But of course there are two elements than unite all of these issues: the god awful job Benning has done of building a team, and, if possible, the even worse job Green has done of final player selection and coaching it - matched only by ownerships’ demands in putting off a rebuild in favor of a ‘retooling’.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • RoughGame 2

27 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

So, although Im stoked on Podz, I really liked Newhook in that draft. Aftwr watching a bit Klimovich, he reminds me of AN.  Hes got a shifty/explosiveness that I live watching.

Also, been absolutely digging this Belarusian band called Molchat Doma lately

Newhook is a softy Smurf.  Klim and Pods are big boys.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Angry Goose said:

So, although Im stoked on Podz, I really liked Newhook in that draft. Aftwr watching a bit Klimovich, he reminds me of AN.  Hes got a shifty/explosiveness that I live watching.

Also, been absolutely digging this Belarusian band called Molchat Doma lately

Also a fan of Newhook, also stoked on Klimovich, and also came across that band (I think Spotify recommended them)! Very cool post-punk/new-wave vibes. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Seriously, how can Canuck fans be excited for other teams’ prospects?  Newhook isn’t ours!  Why in the heck would you want him to do well?  This makes no sense, unless you’re an Av’s fan.  

snl season 44 GIF by Saturday Night Live

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

Seriously, how can Canuck fans be excited for other teams’ prospects?  Newhook isn’t ours!  Why in the heck would you want him to do well?  This makes no sense, unless you’re an Av’s fan.  

I think people just really become attached to players in the pre draft process and want their team to draft them. There’s also guys in the ore draft process you know you certainly don’t want. I know I’ve had more then a few over the years of both types. I don’t start hating a player just because another team drafted them and I don’t necessarily start loving a player just because the Canucks draft them, although I always hope they become what the drafting manager envisioned. 

14 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

He has been mainly paired along side John Stevens (a more defensive minded center) for much of the season. Klimovich is still learning the North American style of game that requires being harder on pucks in board battles and continuously moving his feet to earn opportunities.  You can see Klim's talent no doubt offensively. Stick puck handling, knows how to find soft spots to get looks, and his frame allows him to make space in the ozone.

He is inconsistent in winning battles and his engagement in all 3 zones. At times he has Podkolzin like forechecking moments where he is going to get possession no matter what, and there are times where you wonder why he didn't try harder? Consistently in the defensive zone especially when the puck is being rimmed around, he sort of watches the puck instead of actively getting his stick on it and working hard to get it out or pressuring the defensemen at the point. Other times in the defensive zone he is a tad too slow to a certain spot that allows the puck to get hemmed in. I would say the first 10 or so games he has been up and down with flashes of skill. As an 18 year old learning a new game, new country, language, teammates, culture etc its not surprising there is some adjustment for him and it might take some time before he takes off.

I do think that is why Cull has paired him with John Stevens for most of the season so far 1) to ensure someone insulates Klim's learning curve 2) Klim has a model of someone who works tiredlessly in all 3 zones 3) not allowing Klim to put so much pressure on himself to produce offensively and bear that weight as a young 18 year old. He is also getting 2nd Unit PP time as the left halfwall shot. Haven't seen his hard slap shot on display very much but that also just comes with timing as oppositions come up to him quicker compared to the KHL and junior ranks. 

Lots to like about Klim's game. Also has a knack for finding seem passes, he is very underrated as a playmaker and stick handler. A lot of people focus on his shot but his overall offensive game is there. You can see it, just elements of his battle level, defensive awareness, and skating need to improve which will come in time. I've watched about 6 games of the Abbotsford Canucks, and Klim slowly and incrementally gets better each game. Isn't always noticeable in some games, but the small details in his game seem to get better each game, but its going to be a patient ride with Klim, still very raw in his game.

Thanks for that, I came here looking for exactly this, and I was actually going to pose that question as well so again thanks for that. Sounds about normal though, almost sounds like Podz in a way BUT yes Podz has a decent D game where Klim will have to work on that. However I hope he gets to his upside ceiling in the ahl and makes the team next season!  It might take 2 seasons but he looks promising, cautiously optimistic though.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1