The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Danila Klimovich | C

On 10/29/2021 at 11:11 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Nice piece on Klim over at The Athletic (for those with access):

https://theathletic.com/2921166/2021/10/29/canucks-danila-klimovich-off-to-bright-ahl-start-if-he-wasnt-belarusian-he-would-have-been-selected-top-10/

Here’s an excerpt:

Danila Klimovich’s agent, Dan Milstein, knows a special European player that’s been overlooked when he sees one.

“I represent Nikita Kucherov, 58th overall pick. Everybody looking back says he should have been first overall. I have had Pavel Datsyuk, who went 171st overall in the third, final year of his eligibility. Now, in a redraft he should be first overall,” said Milstein.

“The jury’s still out on Klimovich but I think he’s a very special player and he is going to be a top-six player. If he wasn’t Belarusian, he would have been selected top 10 in this (2021) draft. Hopefully, he’ll turn out to be one of the franchise names where someday his jersey will go up next to Pavel Bure’s.”

Klimovich has arguably been the biggest surprise this season within the Canucks’ entire organization. 

Top 10 pick, wow. I like Klim but feels like the agent pumping his tires.

Hopefully Milstein ends up being right though. His progression has been great so far. 

On 10/30/2021 at 7:51 PM, 73 Percent said:

The problem is those 2 aren't NHL talent in any area of the ice. You want to take some skill out for a goon when we don't even score enough as it is? 

Neither can skate. Mcdavid would skate figure 8s around either of them. Toughness doesn't help when youre down 3-0 either. 

Teams playing well tonight. The bounces will come if we keep this up. 

There are a lot of things that go into scoring, including controlling the wall and the front of the net, two things that we don’t do worth a damn. We can’t forecheck effectively - which is why we try to carry the puck in on the pp, even when our penalty killing opponent strings all four defenders across the line. When we dump the puck in, we are unable to get it back. In our own zone we are running around all the time because we scarcely win an individual battle. These skills are strengths of both Gadjovich and MacEwen. Gadjovich has scarcely been given a chance to play by Green. 

MacEwen, like Bailey now, had been schooled by Cull in the pk, but Green never used him there. Gadjovich still carries a reputation as a poor skater, an issue he has cured over the past two years, and which made him effective in the AHL. Considering the other things he does, he is a low/average NHL skater. But he is a very effective board player in all zones, and he is very effective player within thirty to forty feet of the net. Puck capture and recovery is the Canucks greatest weakness right now. A lot of that is coaching and system, but plenty of that weakness is caused by not having players that are effective in those areas and in placing no value on players that are. After Miller and Horvat, in the continued absence of Motte and Sutter, who among our forwards is effective at retrieving pucks? There is nothing wrong with MacEwen’s skating and it has never been a knock on him:

Here is the Elite Prospects scouting report on MacEwen: “A hard-nosed power forward that doesn't do any one thing to a particularly outstanding degree, but does the little things right. He skates well, albeit not with the balance or agility of an elite skater. He has a nose for the net and a quick release on his shot. Defensively active and backchecks hard. Wins a majority of his puck battles, but has to be a bit more consistent in his physical assertion. Must work on his vision, on-ice awareness, and passing as he continues to grow and become more confident. Lots of positive signs in his development and is starting to put the pieces together for a solid career. (Curtis Joe, EP 2017)”

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

There are a lot of things that go into scoring, including controlling the wall and the front of the net, two things that we don’t do worth a damn. We can’t forecheck effectively - which is why we try to carry the puck in on the pp, even when our penalty killing opponent strings all four defenders across the line. When we dump the puck in, we are unable to get it back. In our own zone we are running around all the time because we scarcely win an individual battle. These skills are strengths of both Gadjovich and MacEwen. Gadjovich has scarcely been given a chance to play by Green. 

MacEwen, like Bailey now, had been schooled by Cull in the pk, but Green never used him there. Gadjovich still carries a reputation as a poor skater, an issue he has cured over the past two years, and which made him effective in the AHL. Considering the other things he does, he is a low/average NHL skater. But he is a very effective board player in all zones, and he is very effective player within thirty to forty feet of the net. Puck capture and recovery is the Canucks greatest weakness right now. A lot of that is coaching and system, but plenty of that weakness is caused by not having players that are effective in those areas and in placing no value on players that are. After Miller and Horvat, in the continued absence of Motte and Sutter, who among our forwards is effective at retrieving pucks? There is nothing wrong with MacEwen’s skating and it has never been a knock on him:

Here is the Elite Prospects scouting report on MacEwen: “A hard-nosed power forward that doesn't do any one thing to a particularly outstanding degree, but does the little things right. He skates well, albeit not with the balance or agility of an elite skater. He has a nose for the net and a quick release on his shot. Defensively active and backchecks hard. Wins a majority of his puck battles, but has to be a bit more consistent in his physical assertion. Must work on his vision, on-ice awareness, and passing as he continues to grow and become more confident. Lots of positive signs in his development and is starting to put the pieces together for a solid career. (Curtis Joe, EP 2017)”

Elite Prospects? Over 4 years ago :picard:

Ahhh man your reaching.....I watched Zach every game last year. Was I cheering for him to figure it out and stake his claim, yes

He was given every opportunity to stick 

49 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Don't understand this post.   Care to elaborate what you mean?

It's normal for conversations to trail off a bit onto the topic of other players. It drives me nuts when a user feels the need to point that out. As if the only words to be spoken in this thread are "danila klimovich".

• Wat 1

5 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

It's normal for conversations to trail off a bit onto the topic of other players. It drives me nuts when a user feels the need to point that out. As if the only words to be spoken in this thread are "danila klimovich".

I don’t understand why you dislike Cull :bigblush:

11 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

It drives you nuts??? OK then

4 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Seems like Klim's production has dried up a bit. For those of you watching the Abby games, how's he been looking lately?

Coaches tend to do that to players :lol: safety first

Edited by Fred65

22 hours ago, Ajax- said:

Elite Prospects? Over 4 years ago :picard:

Ahhh man your reaching.....I watched Zach every game last year. Was I cheering for him to figure it out and stake his claim, yes

He was given every opportunity to stick 

I wanted him and Gaj to pan out but they didn't and I shouldnt be surprised at some of our fans acting the way they are since agendas and all but man do people really think our FO would let them go if they had any value at all?

Shouldn't the OJ trade show if they could have moved them via trade they would have?

Zac especially IMO was a complete liability and sh*t even his fights seemed ill-timed and often gave other teams momentum. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Seems like Klim's production has dried up a bit. For those of you watching the Abby games, how's he been looking lately?

Klimovich has moments of flash where you can see his tantalizing skill, especially how he stickhandles. A lot of notoriety about his shot, but his puck handling can be pretty slick at times. 

A big part though about his game is his battle level and compete kinda varies shift to shift. Some shifts he looks very engaged (he has actually made several big hits using his big body to muscle guys off pucks) and some times he is too slow to the play. I can see why Cull has paired him to John Stevens since Stevens is the teams most defensively responsible and probably hardest working forward they have right now and want Klimovich to embody some of that.

I think Klimovich's lack of production has come largely due to not moving his feet quick enough to get to the spots to find pucks and opportunities, and also compounded by Abbotsford's draining of depth due to the big club. Lots of potential, but he needs skate quicker in order to get offensive looks and perhaps opportunities with more offensively capable teammates. 

• Thanks 3
  • Cheers 1

On 11/1/2021 at 2:39 PM, 73 Percent said:

Have you watched Canuck games? 

Did MacEwan actually do that? 

This is a rhetorical question as I actually watch hockey games and know the answer.

Do you like the way we are controlling the boards, driving plays to the net? Do you like the way our gentlemen are scoring?