The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lucas Forsell | LW

30 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

We have a 24 year old top 10 center, a 23 year old top 10 center, and a top 10 goalie, but Benning had nothing to do with that. 

::D 

@canucklehead44 don't confuse people giving credit to Benning as somehow praising him to be a great GM. He was here for the rebuild, had a positive effect on our piss-poor drafting before him, and was let go probably one year too late. 

I am happy that we have the three hardest pieces to get in #1 center, #1 dman, and a top flight starting goalie. Detroit has wasted many top 10 picks trying to get those and they finally have one in Seider. It's hard to get the 2nd best player in the entire draft class at number 5 and number 7. Sometimes you miss (Virtanen) and sometimes injuries take a player out (Juolevi). 

Could even argue Virtanen was positively developing as a player, production increased each year with limited TOI and no PP1 time. His final year he was utilized heavily in a defensive deployment and was rarely on for any goals against. 

Unfortunately as a human being he struggled. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

I think as an AGM he could add a lot of value. Just made to many big decisions that were in error.

to be fair I wonder what Aqua was telling him to do. Because this team should’ve rebuilt

And there's the difference between a experienced GM and a rookie GM. One of Benning unfortunate problems was lack of experience. JR has a lot of experience with other owners he knows just how hard to push

Edited by Fred65

55 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

And there's the difference between a experienced GM and a rookie GM. One of Benning unfortunate problems was lack of experience. JR has a lot of experience with other owners he knows just how hard to push

I also think Linden wasn’t respected as a President like Rutherford is. I think it is much better to have a GM report to a President than to an owner. 

If Benning had Linden’s back on a rebuild perhaps things would have been different. The funny thing about that entire era is the fans were more upset about Benning blowing Aqua’s money than he seemed to be. With so many of Benning’s signings I thought “wow a team would have paid us some nice picks to take on a player & contract like this”. I think that is what got me. I understand he wanted to bring in vets to shelter young players but he could have acquired those guys in cap dumps and hoarded picks 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

He had some enormous misses too. Virtanen over Ehlers/Nylander, Juolevi over Tkachuk. Judd Brackett was the head of scouting so he deserves a lot more of the credit, especially 2017 onward. He was hired by Gillis and promoted/fired by Benning so I guess I’ll give Benning credit for promoting him.

I actually think given Jim’s overall track record people are waaaaaaaay softer on him then they are/were in any GM in recent history. Especially our current management group.

He traded and downgraded more picks than he acquired for essentially one playoff appearance in a year we would have missed if not for the Covid shutdown. 

The amount of truly awful signings. Eriksson, Beagle, Myers, Gagner, Roussel, Sbisa, Poolman, Holtby. Not signing Tanev & Toffoli and trading for Schmidt and re-signing Virtanen.

The OEL trade is likely the worst trade in franchise history. One low key underrated awful trade is the 2nd round pick & McCann for Gudbranson. We had DeBrincat ranked 13th who was available. Gudbranson was horrible then we signed him to a big contract because of sunk cost fallacy.

The fact he gets so much credit for drafting (I’ve read GMs really only are involved with top 10 picks) yet seemed to have zero ability to evaluate talent at the NHL level, giving enormous contracts to replacement level players, makes no sense. 

Allvin & Rutherford have done an exceedingly better job thus far even if the results aren’t there yet. We are in a bind with some bad Benning contracts but I think with the addition if Hronek and a healthy Demko we actually have a good team.

I think it was a huge mistake to not have replaced Trevor Linden as Prez over Jimbo.  | think having a team approach (Prez and GM) is the better way of getting the job done most effectively.  I remember at the time wishing Jim had a President over him that had strengths where Jim was most weakest.  Rutherford was actually one of the guys I thought would have worked well with Jimbo.  I like what the guys are doing right now GM/PA and tthe Prez.  They have hit a balence that eluded Jimbo and his team.  Having a good, well balanced front office is huge and will go a long way in giving us the kind of results that seem to have been non existent here in Vancouver.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I think it was a huge mistake to not have replaced Trevor Linden as Prez over Jimbo.  | think having a team approach (Prez and GM) is the better way of getting the job done most effectively.  I remember at the time wishing Jim had a President over him that had strengths where Jim was most weakest.  Rutherford was actually one of the guys I thought would have worked well with Jimbo.  I like what the guys are doing right now GM/PA and tthe Prez.  They have hit a balence that eluded Jimbo and his team.  Having a good, well balanced front office is huge and will go a long way in giving us the kind of results that seem to have been non existent here in Vancouver.

Sounds crazy but some how I tend to think FA saw himself as a Presidnetial like figure :lol:

Edited by Fred65
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/20/2023 at 6:49 AM, 73 Percent said:

So all the good picks are on the scouting team. All the missed picks are on Benning. 

Got it. 

On 3/20/2023 at 1:00 PM, dpn1 said:

On 3/20/2023 at 8:59 AM, AnthonyG said:

This made me lol irl. 

Oh and by the way, that Demko guy is a Benning pick and 70% of that team are Benning guys. Oh not to mention, Benning made playoffs in his first season with an aged out prospectless roster….. Why couldnt JR and PA do it this year?? They’ve had nearly 2 full seasons and with almost 0 roster changes last season, we barely missed playoffs… this season with a bunch of additions, its been a complete disaster. Riddle me that

Benning made the playoff first year with Gillis's team.

You said it.  70% of the team are Benning guys and look where that team is: capped out, no first round pick for three years until Rutherford comes, buried under impossible to move contracts, players lost because he screwed up the cap, didn't move on guys we needed to re-sign, the list of Benning idiocracy is virtually endless, the only draft hits beyond high second picks to work out he traded for nothing.. About the only thing he was good at was sucking up to ownership absolutely determined to be nothing but mediocre. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

You said it.  70% of the team are Benning guys and look where that team is: capped out, no first round pick for three years until Rutherford comes, buried under impossible to move contracts, players lost because he screwed up the cap, didn't move on guys we needed to re-sign, the list of Benning idiocracy is virtually endless, the only draft hits beyond high second picks to work out he traded for nothing.. About the only thing he was good at was sucking up to ownership absolutely determined to be nothing but mediocre. 

And, oddly enough, if you look at who was on that team, it was still, largely,  Dave Nonis and Brian Burkes team.  ;)

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Yup. If Benning would have done like both Nonis and Gillis and said no to the owner’s demands of trading futures in hopes to win now (Gillis did follow the owner’s directions but knew when that time was over and rebuilding was needed) he would have been fired too. But through his being the owner’s puppet he was able to keep his job for 8 years and have an extension in place too, when finally dispatched. 
And he left us with the OEL parting gift.

Benning seemed a super nice guy, but he was a terrible GM. 
Maybe he would have been better if our owner kept his snout out of hockey ops?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

What's going on with Lucas Forsell?  Is he still playing or is his team out of the playoffs?  Do you think he'll come over to play in Abbotsford next season?  

His team got knocked out by Filip Johansson in the first round.  

Lucas put up some great numbers this year that were comparable to other team's first round picks. 

Watching him, he looks like a very good poacher who tips pucks in, and pounces on turnovers very well. So I always have a tough time projecting those types of players. 

24 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

His team got knocked out by Filip Johansson in the first round.  

Lucas put up some great numbers this year that were comparable to other team's first round picks. 

Watching him, he looks like a very good poacher who tips pucks in, and pounces on turnovers very well. So I always have a tough time projecting those types of players. 

Thanks for the update!  Is there any word from the brass as to whether he'll be coming to north America next season?

On 3/20/2023 at 6:49 AM, 73 Percent said:

So all the good picks are on the scouting team. All the missed picks are on Benning. 

Got it. 

Pretty much this yup.

Hughes

Pettersson

Miller

Hoglander

Demko

Dries

Woo

Rathbone

Garland (don't complain about this if you like the Mikheyev signing)

Podkolzin

Burroughs

Brisebois

Forsell

Klimovich

Karlsson

Silovs

Any and all bright spots are all scouting and or sheer luck.

I don't have love for how Benning managed the team, trades or cap structure or the development program but it isn't like he drafted entirely poorly and any and all current stars or bright spots on the team or in the program are entirely his whether people want to admit it or accept it or not.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Thanks for the update!  Is there any word from the brass as to whether he'll be coming to north America next season?

No words, he's still under our control for two more years, and even then we could sign him to an ELC and leave him in Sweden.  

I haven't heard his name mentioned by our staff.  He should be over here for the prospect camp next September. 

15 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

We have quite a few of these super car types we need a few good work trucks the slow developing power forwards and the big tough defensive forwards that play the heavy game if we can develop some face punchers that would be great.

Agreed! Only thing, is usually you can acquire grit fairly cheaply in UFA or trades. But, definitely need some PWF types marinating in the prospect pool. 

3 minutes ago, KKnight said:

Agreed! Only thing, is usually you can acquire grit fairly cheaply in UFA or trades. But, definitely need some PWF types marinating in the prospect pool. 

Tanner Jeanot just cost Foote + 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th

This is the type of player we need though. Can't protect your stars if you can't take a regular shift with em.

Nashville then going out and getting Reid Schaefer was a stroke of genius.   

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, hammertime said:

This is the type of player we need though. Can't protect your stars if you can't take a regular shift with em.

Damn I got dragged by my oiler loving friends for losing my mind at that trade.  Ekholm is great no doubt but Schaefer is the exact type of player that wins playoffs and someone the Oilers would KILL to have against the Kings right now.  Like Ferland when he was healthy, a force that can take an entire game or series over with physical play.  maybe never more than a 20-20 player in the regular season but the exact kind of hard nosed old schoo player that can skate and terrifies forwards and defense.

The Canucks need 2-4 players just like that.  Not super offensive or creative but will bring a lunch box to work and beat an opposing player with it.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Reid Schaefer is a player I really liked in his draft year. I think with Tocchet coaching now, we're more in line to target these types of players. I would love a bottom 6 player in the mold of B.Tanev or like you suggested T.Jeannot. Jeannot is a very rare player to find nowadays. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KKnight said:

Reid Schaefer is a player I really liked in his draft year. I think with Tocchet coaching now, we're more in line to target these types of players. I would love a bottom 6 player in the mold of B.Tanev or like you suggested T.Jeannot. Jeannot is a very rare player to find nowadays. 

Will Cuylle is a kid we should try to pry from the Rags. He's tough and can score. 

Zack L'heureux is a loose cannon funny vid.

Samuel Helenius you may remember his father Sami. Is a tough customer he's 6'6 and a fantastic skater was really high on him in 2021 looks like he's gonna be a very good bottom 6C. 

Anyway this is the Forsell thread and I'm pretty excited to see this kid in training camp next year. He's looked good the few times I've watched him. Looks like possibly found money at 201OA. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yup. If Benning would have done like both Nonis and Gillis and said no to the owner’s demands of trading futures in hopes to win now (Gillis did follow the owner’s directions but knew when that time was over and rebuilding was needed) he would have been fired too. But through his being the owner’s puppet he was able to keep his job for 8 years and have an extension in place too, when finally dispatched. 
And he left us with the OEL parting gift.

Benning seemed a super nice guy, but he was a terrible GM. 
Maybe he would have been better if our owner kept his snout out of hockey ops?

Well, it is the owner’s team, but owning doesn’t exempt him from poor decisions.