The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

Poolman's base salary this season is $1,250,000.oo with a $500,000.oo signing bonus. It goes up to $2,250,000.oo the following year and is $3,000,000.oo for the final two years.

Obviously our management group saw something in him that they liked and see him progressing as a hockey player. But sure, idiots like jd burke know better.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Evolving Hockey pegged Poolmans next deal at 2.4 AAV. I'm too cheap to spend the $5 to look at their salary tool, but maybe someone on here has a subscription. They are one of the more well respected fancy stats sites now, so you'd think that would end the argument with those trying to use stats to say he's not worth 2.5. Ah well. 

Something to add onto this, Poolman is now the 7th biggest hitter on the team. (This is of course moving the player's stats from another team onto this team)

IN FACT, look at what the new acquisitions could potentially bring.

image.thumb.png.33a6ee1aa9be4230c6173007f1c004f1.png

Motte is well respected as a beast, and we have Schenn potentially producing a similar style of game on the backend. Ekman Larsson, Dickinson and Poolman are also no slouches. Even Giuseppe could potentially be a useful addition.

It should be noted that Motte generated that many hits with FEWER GAMES.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, AV. said:

It is my opinion that we should be paying for what he is now rather than what he could be (or hope to be), therefore.

But how do we know what he is now?  He hasn't even played for us yet. 

Sometimes a change of scenery rejuvenates players and they are more inspired.  We cry over players who weren't showing much here who went on to contribute elsewhere...so there's a flip side to that.  I'd say we assess him when we have a legit sample size here and then we can determine things. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

Repeating the same points shouldn't mean anything. It just solidifies the idea that you are a one-dimensional poster.

Quit derailing the thread about Poolman if you have nothing more to add. But by all means, if you do have something to add ABOUT THE PLAYER, I am all ears.

It's gone from "talk about the player" to "not about his contract" to "don't keep reiterating the same points about his play".  It seems you're looking for a specific type of discourse that satisfies what you want to read.  Maybe during the regular season I can come back here and make an observation about his play or his contract or whatever that's positive, but for now, I can really only discuss what's at hand: his contract, his previous experiences in the NHL, and how he potentially fits with this team.  Well, his contract isn't great and previously, he was a depth defenceman/bottom-pair guy that had some time in the top four but probably shouldn't have been there.  I think a bottom-pair role is probably where he fits best, but with Hamonic and Myers already on the team, and keeping in mind that I believe they are also suited to bottom-pairing roles, a few of Poolman or those guys will be playing the top 4 and I think that spells some potential trouble.

• Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

But how do we know what he is now?  He hasn't even played for us yet. 

Sometimes a change of scenery rejuvenates players and they are more inspired.  We cry over players who weren't showing much here who went on to contribute elsewhere...so there's a flip side to that.  I'd say we assess him when we have a legit sample size here and then we can determine things. 

We certainly have an idea from his experiences in Winnipeg.  I'm by no means writing him off, I've just seen this type of story play out before with other players.  Of course, every story is different.  Here's to hoping Poolman lives up to what management sees in him.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

9 minutes ago, AV. said:

We certainly have an idea from his experiences in Winnipeg.  I'm by no means writing him off, I've just seen this type of story play out before with other players.  Of course, every story is different.  Here's to hoping Poolman lives up to what management sees in him.

We don't have ANY experience with him in our line up, alongside our players and under our coaches.

Maybe he wasn't happy in Winnipeg?  Just as people here hint that players want to leave because of this management....isn't it fair to apply that elsewhere too then?

Sometimes a change of scenery makes a difference.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

Contracts don't solely determine "worth/value".

Gas right now is through the roof but it doesn't mean I don't need gas...you pay according to needs and what the market dictates.  I pay $1.67/L because that's what they're asking and I need gas.

Here is some information about him that I dug out (unsure of the source but, until proven incorrect, good enough for me):

I appreciate the analogy, although I would argue Poolman isn't an essential for us in the same sense that gas might be for people.  If we wanted a RD option, there were players like Vatanen, Carrick, the much talked about Hakanpaa, and even internal guys like Chatfield/Rafferty.  I don't think we needed Poolman, but it was clear we wanted him, and that's totally fine.  If management and coaching feels he's going to be a good piece at the contract they gave him, then let's hope he's a good piece and he rewards them.  They make the decisions and I don't.

• RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, AV. said:

I appreciate the analogy, although I would argue Poolman isn't an essential for us in the same sense that gas might be for people.  If we wanted a RD option, there were players like Vatanen, Carrick, the much talked about Hakanpaa, and even internal guys like Chatfield/Rafferty.  I don't think we needed Poolman, but it was clear we wanted him, and that's totally fine.  If management and coaching feels he's going to be a good piece at the contract they gave him, then let's hope he's a good piece and he rewards them.  They make the decisions and I don't.

Hakanpaa maybe, but Chatfield/ Rafferty are AHL fodder and Vatanen/Carrick are a 6 at best but likely depth at this point. Poolman is a calculated risk and has a better than adequate chance of improving significantly. It's a slam dunk if we get an improved 19/20 Poolman, and not severely overpaid if he ends up a solid 6. Massive credit this offseason to our management group.

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Read the stats DLC posted.  Poolman was the Jet’s best defensive D man.  We have him at a great cap hit for his prime years.  He’s a younger Chris Tanev.  After reading what DLC posted, I’m now seeing Poolman playing a lot extremely effective 5 on 5 minutes with the Huggable one.  

If that ends up being the case, great signing. Hopefully he comes out and has a big first season.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Gas isn't "essential"...I can choose not to drive but I need it if I want to drive.  And we had a need as a team...they filled that need.  You're using "essential" in this but that wasn't my word.

Were you on board with Chatfield and Rafferty before?  

There were options, sure...but they chose this one.  Time will tell if you knew better...I've learned from the Vilardi/Glass days that sometimes CDC gets it wrong.

Beating a dead horse now though..for those NOT on board, it changes nothing to prove your point at this point.  Because it can't be proven one way or another.  And why not support the new guys if you're fans of the team?  Be hopeful and optimistic until they give you REASON not to be?

I like the re-brand, Deb :canucks:

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Gas isn't "essential"...I can choose not to drive but I need it if I want to drive.  And we had a need as a team...they filled that need.  You're using "essential" in this but that wasn't my word.

There were options, sure...but they chose this one.  Time will tell if you knew better...I've learned from the Vilardi/Glass days that sometimes CDC gets it wrong.

Beating a dead horse now though..for those NOT on board, it changes nothing to prove your point at this point.  Because it can't be proven one way or another.  And why not support the new guys if you're fans of the team?  Be hopeful and optimistic until they give you REASON not to be?

Because that would be logical, but god forbid that happens!

Great post btw!! 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Fair enough.  The intention behind sharing the tweet I did (the Freidman quote) was to dismantle the notion that it was solely users like myself (ones deemed as "complainers") who had issue with the contract.  I wanted to validate some of the concerns shared in this thread by sharing a tweet that highlighted similar concerns from people in the hockey world upon learning the terms of the Poolman contract.  

Like you and others, I do care a lot about the team and wish the best for the players.  It's why this contract matters to me because I would hate to see it a contract like this prevent us from future extensions down the line for players that really matter.  I'm well aware that 2.5M out of 81M salary cap is "low" but these deals tend to add up, and we've seen first-hand how a tight cap structure can impact signings (it's happening right now with Petterson and Hughes), and we've also seen how hard it really is to shift money out.

On that note, I think I've said enough here.  My feelings on the player are well known and it's time to see how he performs on the ice before revisiting for further comment.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

Contracts don't solely determine "worth/value".

Gas right now is through the roof but it doesn't mean I don't need gas...you pay according to needs and what the market dictates.  I pay $1.67/L because that's what they're asking and I need gas.  Doesn't make gas any less important to me because I may be paying more than I should or it's cheaper in another city.

Many contracts aren't solely in line with production and performance (numbers) but that doesn't mean a player can't be useful to a team that's identified needs.  Which is why I take the "wait and see" approach before determining if he's "worth it" or not.

Here is some information about him that I dug out (unsure of the source but, until proven incorrect, good enough for me):

Nice find.