The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

21 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Nevermind Poolman and his $2.5m cap hit. More importantly it's our high paid guys like OEL, Myers and Hughes that need to really perform for us this coming season. 

Agreed, I think Myers will be a constant - you know what you're getting with him - stable top 4 guy.

Hughes, you know you're getting good offence, let's hope his defence is not like last season but his rookie year or we're in trouble.

A lot of this year's success rests on how well OEL plays for us, not offensively but defensively. That's where Poolman's super important, because they'll hopefully gel well and cover up his mistakes. Whether it be Poolman, Myers, Hamonic or even Schenn who plays with OEL, Green has to find the right combination to unleash Ekman-Larsson, let him play well offensively but also support him defensively.

We have 2 guys we really need to cover defensively (OEL and Hughes) but JB has done the job to get a bunch of defensive righties in place to do so. I'm confident in JB's scouting abilities and he's been able to construct a great team on paper, now it's on Green and the defensive coach to implement a good system. This I have less confidence in to be honest but thank goodness Baumer is gone...

• Cheers 4

On 8/2/2021 at 7:39 PM, RWMc1 said:

It was two gifs. One was Will Forte filling a small pool with alcohol and another of him sitting in it with a huge straw.

Why do you care about this post in particular with all the other crap going on. Responses like yours add nothing.

Do you mean this one?

On 8/2/2021 at 3:57 PM, RWMc1 said:

tlmoe GIFs | Find, Make & Share Gfycat GIFstlmoe GIFs | Find, Make & Share Gfycat GIFs

It was there when I replied, so I couldn't understand why you were upset. That, and why you'd call out the mods in a thread considering all the other crap going on. But you do you.

20 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Agreed, I think Myers will be a constant - you know what you're getting with him - stable top 4 guy.

Hughes, you know you're getting good offence, let's hope his defence is not like last season but his rookie year or we're in trouble.

A lot of this year's success rests on how well OEL plays for us, not offensively but defensively. That's where Poolman's super important, because they'll hopefully gel well and cover up his mistakes. Whether it be Poolman, Myers, Hamonic or even Schenn who plays with OEL, Green has to find the right combination to unleash Ekman-Larsson, let him play well offensively but also support him defensively.

We have 2 guys we really need to cover defensively (OEL and Hughes) but JB has done the job to get a bunch of defensive righties in place to do so. I'm confident in JB's scouting abilities and he's been able to construct a great team on paper, now it's on Green and the defensive coach to implement a good system. This I have less confidence in to be honest but thank goodness Baumer is gone...

where is this narrative coming from?

• Cheers 1

Things sure have changed in the short time since the expansion draft. All the hand-wringing about losing Kole Lind and now if Seattle tried to send him down and we had a chance to reclaim him I don’t think we would even have a spot for him on the roster.

• Cheers 1

On 8/4/2021 at 2:07 AM, TNucks1 said:

but BC is on Fire :(, i really hope that smoke doesnt come to Vancouver Island, really dont wanna work in that.

Dude, 

the smoke from BC fires made it to Europe already.  

I live in Nova Scotia, Antigonish.  

I smelled the smoke and saw it. 

the world is on fire and just cause you can’t see the smoke or smell it, doesn’t mean it isn’t there.  

We live in a giant fish bowl.  

You fart, we all smell it somehow.  

it’s more logical than the butterfly theory,  

Lol

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/31/2021 at 8:03 PM, AV. said:

Each game will play out differently and some days the system work, others it will look out of place and disorganized.  Just have to hope the frequency is low.

A general rule of thumb for this team would be to draft more defenders.  What's done is done, but we've forgone a lot of talent by constantly moving our picks out to the extent we have these past couple years.  Even though it's seven years on, I really hope we become more responsible with these assets in the future.

Maybe.  Edler signed his original extension in October 2008 as a sophomore.  Ehrhoff had 2 years on his deal when we acquired him and left when it finished.  Bieksa and Hamhuis both took paycuts from market value.  Thing is, Bieksa did it as pending UFA while Hamhuis did it as an actual UFA.   For me, I think Hamhuis left a lot more on the table than Bieksa would have gotten had he hit the open market.  Around a 500K difference or so.

With that said, I do agree that management might have looked at their d-core and said "let's allocate 25M and spend 4M+ on 4-5 guys rather than 6M+ on 1-2 guys".  They opted for good distribution among six guys rather than a top-down structure and it rendered great results, including two President's trophies and a Stanley Cup finals appearance.  At this time, our management might be trying to do the same with our defence, but there are less #2s and #3s and more #4, #5, and #6s lol.  Time will tell how it works out.

Just remember, Ballards pay for example, percentage wise, is actually more then Myers was when he signed.   All of those guys making 4-4.5 we're getting paid 6 plus in today's market.   The Sedins would be making more then AHO is now too, Kesler what O'Reilly makes etc.   That team did get some cap relief because of the clauses - they are always worth money too, and a lot of relief because of Luongo's contract.   Back then our team was the 7th least taxed in the league too.  A little easier to attract UFAs even if we weren't a great team.    Kind of sucks that MG went out and acquired Booth and Ballard with all that savings, wouldn't be any different then JB adding a six million dollar winger and D right now.   

Personally feel any contract can be a dud or overpayment when it comes to UFAs especially, but you also need to take those risks.   Feel the best value is in the 4-6 range too.   Would take Miller and Horvat plus Poolman over McDavid and two AHLers any day.  

• Cheers 3

On 8/3/2021 at 6:47 AM, BigTramFan said:

Nevermind Poolman and his $2.5m cap hit. More importantly it's our high paid guys like OEL, Myers and Hughes that need to really perform for us this coming season. 

No doubt.   Poolman plays third pairing minutes and does ok he will be a tradeable asset if we want too, just like Benn was.   For all the complaining, he got virtually exactly what hockey sites that predict contracts (2.4 x 4...so call 100k too much lol, on the most heavily taxed team in the league with MTL and TO/OTT).    If he gets paired 5 x 5 with OEL or QHs so what.   If it works great, if not maybe he's a depth D and better injury replacement then Chatter/Rafferty were etc.    For sure i'm a lot more concerned about QHs ability to develop into a more complete D, and what his next contract(s) will look like then Poolman.   

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

On 8/2/2021 at 4:54 PM, RWMc1 said:

Thank you. I don't mean to be picayune, but it seemed very arbitrary.

I changed this post afterwards.

14 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Do you mean this one?

It was there when I replied, so I couldn't understand why you were upset. That, and why you'd call out the mods in a thread considering all the other crap going on. But you do you.

It was removed and replaced later.

You just climbed back on to your high horse without even a comment on Poolman once again.

38 minutes ago, Tucker Poolman said:

Flattered to see almost 100 pages of discussion here, this is crazy being in a market like Vancouver instead of the dump that is Winnipeg!

Great signing by GMJB, in my humble opinion.

Tucker!

Welcome to Vancouver.

As you can see by this thread your ears will be ringing if you listen to the fans of this team, however let me assure you we are the best we just love to speak our mind. Beware of the media though they have been hanging out in the gutters for a few years now.

Make sure you stick up for teammates when needed, play some heavy solid D and you will be a fan fave.

• Cheers 4