The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

8 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Re-watching Poolman in the playoffs. The series winning goal by Tofu,  Pool had his man Suzuki against the boards, but Caulfield beat Copp out of the corner and found Tofu backdoor for the series winner. Pool is usually on as a primary pk. I liked how he checked Tofu at one point, took him completely out of the play. A couple nice hits. He very much reminds me of a larger framed Tanev. Nice on his skates and good passes. Once he jumped into the crease to cause some chaos in front of Price. It was a nice play. He has very good defensive awareness more of a defense first guy. Overall I like his calm play, on one defensive breakdown Pool covered for Morrissey nicely, stopping Caulfield from a breakaway. I like how he takes the hits that are there and doesn't chase hits. , I like how he forced Suzuki i into the corner after the whistle stopping Suzi3 from going into the crease to cause ruckus. He skates the puck through traffic calm as well. He's like a beefier Tanev. First goal of the series with Montreal Poolman had his man on the boards then Morrissey lost track of Koktemi back door. Second goal of the series Poolman was paired with Stanley, but Stanley got out of position trying for a elbow hit in front of Hellybuck. I think Stanley was bumped down after that play. Poolman is a good Tanev comparison, but more physical. And a whole lot cheaper.
 Poolman on the PK will take some pressure off Myers on the right side, which I'm excited to see. Myers can put more energy into his offense. 
I think the 12 other teams interested in Poolman drove up his price a bit. But RHD are what we needed. 

So, a “poor man’s” Tanev (by salary compensation standards)!  

On 8/3/2021 at 7:08 AM, Millerdraft said:

So, a “poor man’s” Tanev (by salary compensation standards)!  

A bigger more in your face Tanev. At half the cost. I really think the PK will help Myers a lot. 

Poolman takes, absorbs hits better too.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hakanpaa was in the lower tier. He wasn’t signed on the first day. Most teams were either in on Poolman or Ceci. Hakanpaa is a larger version of Schenn. Benning went after Poolman first as he was the priority along with Hamonic. Once those deals got done he went after Schenn, who was half the cost of Hakanpaa. 

BUT THE TERM AND CAP WAS BETTER THAN POOLMAN! PAY PLAYERS WHAT THEY WORTH! :rolleyes:

It's the same old rehashed arguments that never address what Poolman does. I just saw another post by certain posters that were praising the signing of a 1 x 2M deal. Such dishonest commentary.

Anyway, the more I think about Poolman and Shaw, the more I am excited. Hopefuly Poolman learns to play the top 4 with some consistency. That was a concern in Winnipeg. He doesn't have to worry about scoring, so he can just focus on defending.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Interesting that there was no mention of Colton Poolman signing with the Flames last week.  Colton is Tucker's brother and played at UND with Tucker and Boeser.

Why is it that the Flames feel the need to either sign our leftovers or relatives of current players?  Do they have some type of inferior complex or something?  -_-

It will be fun to see the Pool brothers playing against each other.  At the very least the West Coast of Canada will have some very clean pools in the coming years...  :)

Edit:  Looks like Colton was signed last year and played in Stockton.  They re-signed him last week... :mellow:

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Interesting that there was no mention of Colton Poolman signing with the Flames last week.  Colton is Tucker's brother and played at UND with Tucker and Boeser.

Why is it that the Flames feel the need to either sign our leftovers or relatives of current players?  Do they have some type of inferior complex or something?  -_-

It will be fun to see the Pool brothers playing against each other.  At the very least the West Coast of Canada will have some very clean pools in the coming years...  :)

Edit:  Looks like Colton was signed last year and played in Stockton.  They re-signed him last week... :mellow:

I actually had a post about that re-signing which was buried earlier in this thread because of the arguing. :lol: We got the better of the Poolmans. Maybe Treliving was trying to do some next level scouting, hoping to get Colton groomed so that a) he'd join the main roster b) Tucker would join.

I'm sure if any other team signed Tucker for 2.5 x 4, people will unanimously be saying that it's a good signing. -_-

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Let’s hope our Poolman is the Michael Phelps of the family.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hakanpaa was in the lower tier. He wasn’t signed on the first day. Most teams were either in on Poolman or Ceci. Hakanpaa is a larger version of Schenn. Benning went after Poolman first as he was the priority along with Hamonic. Once those deals got done he went after Schenn, who was half the cost of Hakanpaa. 

And backed it up with Keeper.  We actually do have that style of play covered if we need it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

And Hakanpaa, at age 29, and with all of 62 NHL games played, still got $1.5M x 3 years in this market.

And a bunch of “great signing”

comments from folks on Twitter.

Based on tax rates, a comparable deal in Vancouver would have been around $1.8-1.9M per season.

But Poolman, a year younger, twice the NHL games, and a year longer term, at $2.5M is somehow terrible, at least based on reactions from the same Twitter folks.

I mean, I’d agree, to a point, the the Poolman contract is a little long and a little high, for my tastes, but I can also easily see that it’s hardly out of step with where the market has been set for this year, especially when it comes to defensive defencemen with good size.

It’s a gamble by Vancouver, without question, but it’s also not an especially dear one, financially speaking. Poolman merely needs to be a competent NHLer, and a capable partner to one of our more offensively-minded LHD regulars, for him to earn that $2.5M AAV. Anything more than that, when it comes to Poolman’s performance over the next 4 seasons, and the Canucks will probably come out ahead. And if he actually manages to form a stable and effective paring with OEL, we’re laughing. 

A balanced, well thought out, honest post. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

9 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Wow, a mods warning as people freak out over a 3 rd pairing and PKer RHD under 30 signed to a reasonable cap hit when compared to Benn’s contract.  

guys, the world is on fire.  Go out and enjoy the outdoors while you can.  

but BC is on Fire :(, i really hope that smoke doesnt come to Vancouver Island, really dont wanna work in that.