The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Ryan Reaves to Rangers for 2022 3rd-round pick

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

If all you can do as a player is hit, talk $&!#, and fight, you're not likely to stick in this league in a significant capacity. The enforcer has gone the way of the dodo for the most part, he's an anomaly. 

Having a deterrent is overstated imo, teams gotta rally together with or without that guy. I'd say the league and it's joke called player safety are a larger impact on guys getting hurt than enforcers somehow stopping guys from taking runs or making questionable hits. 

agree to an extent with all of that, but if the league isn't policing it (aka Tom Wilson) the deterrent always plays a role. And players even say they play bigger when they know a player has their back. Team toughness can make up for it for sure, and it better, but how many teams actually swarm players when they cheap shot. Boston is great at it, and why as much as I dislike that team I respect them. No nonsense goes unpunished on that team. I wished the Canucks played like that. We turn the other cheek too much

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Podz19 said:

agree to an extent with all of that, but if the league isn't policing it (aka Tom Wilson) the deterrent always plays a role. And players even say they play bigger when they know a player has their back. Team toughness can make up for it for sure, and it better, but how many teams actually swarm players when they cheap shot. Boston is great at it, and why as much as I dislike that team I respect them. No nonsense goes unpunished on that team. I wished the Canucks played like that. We turn the other cheek too much

We do turn the other cheek too much, I agree. Players saying it or not though, teams are always gonna gun for your top guys whether you've got someone like Reaves or Wilson or not. I seriously question the impact of one player, this ain't the 80's-early to mid 2000's. The NHL has gradually moved away from fighting, and even the sort of hits that used to be acceptable. 

Knowing how things work, even if we had a guy like that he'd get hammered with suspensions. Boston, Vegas, there are teams that get away with $&!# we wouldn't. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

What is Vegas doing. Huge mistakes IMO. Breaking up chemistry and bonds like that is foolish IMO. Not something that can be easily remade.

Seems to be their MO given their coach has no issue destroying the confidence of both his goalies.

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

We do turn the other cheek too much, I agree. Players saying it or not though, teams are always gonna gun for your top guys whether you've got someone like Reaves or Wilson or not. I seriously question the impact of one player, this ain't the 80's-early to mid 2000's. The NHL has gradually moved away from fighting, and even the sort of hits that used to be acceptable. 

Knowing how things work, even if we had a guy like that he'd get hammered with suspensions. Boston, Vegas, there are teams that get away with $&!# we wouldn't. 

Oh we'd definitely get suspensions. Tom Wilson does what he did to Panarin as a Canuck he gets 25 games lol. Marchand punching Daniel in the face 3 times, Daniel asks the ref when you going to call it, and gets an unsportsmanlike (in the finals). Don't remind me of what we face....smh

• Vintage 1

Just now, Podz19 said:

Oh we'd definitely get suspensions. Tom Wilson does what he did to Panarin as a Canuck he gets 25 games lol. Marchand punching Daniel in the face 3 times, Daniel asks the ref when you going to call it, and gets an unsportsmanlike (in the finals). Don't remind me of what we face....smh

They really threw the book at poor Raffi Torres only to go on and allow the same $&!# to continue, league is a joke. They pick and choose who gets lenience and who doesn't, and there's no consistency aside from their refusal to hammer stars the way they do journeymen. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

They really threw the book at poor Raffi Torres only to go on and allow the same $&!# to continue, league is a joke. They pick and choose who gets lenience and who doesn't, and there's no consistency aside from their refusal to hammer stars the way they do journeymen. 

Ya and the Tom Wilson / Panarin situation was sickening. As a fan of the sport, to allow that nonsense is absurd. The guy didn't even follow the code. He turned around, see's its Panarin on him, doesn't care and body slams a guy 45 lbs lighter than him to the ice and flexes after. What an idiot. Panarin could have lost his career from that and the league does nothing. Meanwhile, Eddy misses a hit and gets 2 games, Rome a second late and is thrown out of the finals, Torres as you say, on and on.

7 minutes ago, Podz19 said:

Ya and the Tom Wilson / Panarin situation was sickening. As a fan of the sport, to allow that nonsense is absurd. The guy didn't even follow the code. He turned around, see's its Panarin on him, doesn't care and body slams a guy 45 lbs lighter than him to the ice and flexes after. What an idiot. Panarin could have lost his career from that and the league does nothing. Meanwhile, Eddy misses a hit and gets 2 games, Rome a second late and is thrown out of the finals, Torres as you say, on and on.

Makes it hard to be a fan of this league, but here we are. League falls behind the other big ones, in part because of their unwillingness to take things seriously.

The only way I see this changing is if their disciplinary bit is independent of the NHL. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

They're better without him, if you're not buying into his antics he's useless. I'm more surprised he's worth a third. 

Yes, he always seemed so damn overvalued! A 3rd is high for a 4th liner who doesn't actually play hockey. Pens got him (and a 2nd rounder) for a 1st rounder and player before...

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, c00kies said:

Yes, he always seemed so damn overvalued! A 3rd is high for a 4th liner who doesn't actually play hockey. Pens got him (and a 2nd rounder) for a 1st rounder and player before...

Toughness is fine, I don't have a problem with toughness. But if you're gonna be a fourth liner who's paid almost 2m you gotta be able to do more than just hit, talk $&!#, and fight occasionally. 

Edited by Coconuts