The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Oilers re-sign Darnell Nurse

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'd agree there. Nurse, while not the offensive dynamo, isn't too shabby offensively. 

His minutes are insane, and he's solid defensively and physically. Way more well rounded. 

Neither Nurse or Hughes is worth anywhere near $9M though. Hell, neither is Jones. 

For some reason, the market has gone that way for defencemen. Even in this flat cap world.

Bettman must be just steaming at all these idiot GMs. This is why he didn’t want a freebie buyout, he hoped the GMs would be smarter with their Cap. 

• Haha 1

Just now, You Mad Bro? said:

I guess 40 point D men are now worth over 9 mil. 

image.gif.7f4830324076fc4101eb6638e7eb1a1b.gif

I mean to be fair he plays huge minutes in all situations.

That being said there’s no way he’s in that category of defensemen. Jones and the Blackhawks really screwed up the market.

Who needs a salary cap structure though right?

14 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

He will never live up to the potential dictated by that contract, he is not worth 9.25 now, nor was he last year.

Contracts like this kill players,.  They play safe.

This was more about keeping a decent player in Edmonton, which is so very hard to do.

But..

Not worth it at all. This will bite them for a lot of years. 

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

For some reason, the market has gone that way for defencemen. Even in this flat cap world.

Bettman must be just steaming at all these idiot GMs. This is why he didn’t want a freebie buyout, he hoped the GMs would be smarter with their Cap. 

Well, he's at the behest of the owners who're greenlighting these deals, so Gary is a lame duck if he quacks.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Well, he's at the behest of the owners who're greenlighting these deals, so Gary is a lame duck if he quacks.

I have a feeling the next CBA will tighten up and be slightly more idiot proof with GM spending on players. He keeps tightening the lever and the GMs keep screwing it all up! 

Just now, grandmaster said:

I have a feeling the next CBA will tighten up and be slightly more idiot proof with GM spending on players. He keeps tightening the lever and the GMs keep screwing it all up! 

The owners are just as culpable as the GMs, as they're giving them the authority to do so. That's the real issue. 

6 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

To all G.M.'s in the league: This is what happens when you bridge deal a player twice and structure his RFA contract to expire to free agency. 

This is what happens when your GM is a complete idiot...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

The owners are just as culpable as the GMs, as they're giving them the authority to do so. That's the real issue. 

Some owners are absentee. There are plenty of GMs and or team Presidents that have that power to convince their owners should they be more involved. It’s also a cut throat business. Things can get carried away. Yes, some owners are to blame as well. I just think they would all agree to a tighter system next go around.