The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Olli Juolevi

5 hours ago, Devron44 said:

I don’t think it would have hurt him but what does wouldn’t hurt mean? He’s proven he can play in this league so it’s just a pointless stop in the AHL? You don’t think having a success 1st year and PLAYOFFS wasn’t good for him?

Short memory amazes me 

He has proven he can play OFFENSIVELY in the league. But he has not learned how to create offense without being acomplete defensive liability. Like I said, his defensive game is nowhere near top 4 NHL quality yet. So you are saying it would have been pointless for him to spend a year in the AHL with a focus on learning that?

Obviously him playing in the AHL is a moot point now. But he could have used it for sure to be a more complete player. I expect this year he will be far more sheltered by the coaching staff.

4 hours ago, We_Are_All_Canucks_4_life said:

Glad to see juolevi signed, but not looking forward to another year with Baumgartner running everything ,hopefully its not such a tire fire this year.

We have a full training camp and exhibition schedule this year, we’ll be fine with Baumgartner.

Everyone needs to stop overthinking last season, we had a lot of changes and no time to implement new personal.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 3

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

FWIW, Hughes was on record to say that Baumer was helpful.

We all have our doubts about Baumer, but I think Baumer's getting real help this time. Shaw's gonna be a mentor for Baumer.

Really hoping Shaw can deliver based on his reputation and have a positive influence on the roster & staff as well.   

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

FWIW, Hughes was on record to say that Baumer was helpful.

We all have our doubts about Baumer, but I think Baumer's getting real help this time. Shaw's gonna be a mentor for Baumer.

From what I read on his signing, it sounds like Shaw is like the right hand man to Green and will have influence over everything.. while not directly working with the position group, he’ll have input across the board.

Plus to be fair to Baumer, the whole coaching staff didn’t get much of a chance to do a lot of coaching last year.  I thought they worked pretty hard in the bubble given that Green’s system puts a lot of pressure on the back end.

• Cheers 2

meh.i would have hope we get part with him.
its 750k lost, and more important, maybe it will prevent Rathbone icetime's just to try Juolevi. 
i didn't see anything in Juolevi worth a 6th overlall when we drafted him, i still don't see anything in him.

i keep reading here and there that he has poise. i don't call it like that. i call it lack of urgency, added to that a mediocre speed...

I like his physicality, but i don't see him kick out Schenn in this area.

wish him the best tho. he's a canucks for one more year. 

Edited by deus.ex.makina
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, the Baumer resigning was baffling. 

Imo: with Baumers' bad record as a defensive coach; the hiring of Shaw is PROBABLY also meant to bring some lustre back into his resume to help continue his coaching career in the NHL.

Wait hold on… Baumer “resigned”?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, sonoman said:

This is the year a healthy OJ steps it up and shows why he was drafted in that spot.  

He better.  I remember months after he was drafted, he was talking in an interview saying that he thought he could make the team that year.  Confidence is great but he seemed overconfident and I'm guessing the past 5 years have been difficult for this and other reasons.  I think this is the right time for him to show that he belongs and will continue to get better.....JB has shown that he doesn't mind clearing the decks for new guys, so hopefully that adds to the fire.

What would concern me is if he isn't given a chance to play with the new signings.  A top 10 pick should be given a chance to play and develop at this level.....especially years later.  Most people coming up with defensive pairings don't have OJ in the mix unless injuries happen.  

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He has proven he can play OFFENSIVELY in the league. But he has not learned how to create offense without being acomplete defensive liability. Like I said, his defensive game is nowhere near top 4 NHL quality yet. So you are saying it would have been pointless for him to spend a year in the AHL with a focus on learning that?

Obviously him playing in the AHL is a moot point now. But he could have used it for sure to be a more complete player. I expect this year he will be far more sheltered by the coaching staff.

Why would a player who finished 2nd in voting for the Calder trophy, the first Canucks defenceman in over 23 years to make the All Rookie team, broke the rookie record for points in the playoffs by a defenceman, and the player who Wayne Gretzky said "has better hands than I did", need to play in the AHL?

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, buddhahoodlum said:

Rathbone still goes down. Because he can. But he knows there will be injuries.

Exactly. Almost goes without saying that, even if Rathbone starts in Abby, he’ll be needed at some point, and will get NHL games, if only for injury relief.

And there’s a pretty good chance Rathbone will earn his way up and take over an NHL spot sometime mid season, if his development continues to go well, and he puts together a strong year.

I do like the idea of starting with the tandem of OJ and Brad Hunt as the 3LHD and 4LHD. Gives two very different looks and options. Juolevi has size and has shown some defensive acumen, especially on the PK. Hunt is small but has experience (nearly 200 NHL GP) and brings some real offensive ability.

People shouldn’t sleep on Hunt. He’s a legit NHLer, albeit as 3rd pair/depth. But he can definitely come into the lineup when needed and provide an offensive spark. The guy’s put up pretty solid numbers in the bigs, especially when given extended stints and more significant icetime, and he’s an absolute monster at the AHL level (pretty much gives you a point per game as an AHL Dman).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Well Myers doesn’t play well with Hughes. We’ve seen that but I though he was exceptional with Joulevi. Both different players then OEL. We’ll see I guess 

OJ / Myers was a safe pairing that worked well before covid.   TG for sure eased OJ into it ... the fact Rathbone for more minutes does say something although less games.    Having Rathbone/OJ and Woo in the wings for sure helps our D depth. 

• Cheers 1

I'm not going to pretend i know how this will work out.   But will say this.  OJ COULD still play 1000 games in this league.   And if he does, JB needs a statue made outside our arena.  IF he took MT (who fell on our lap and i wanted despite hating his Dad), that extra 20-25 goals would have moved us out of the EP draft slot.   And QHs too.  Food for thought.   Too bad he's not a RHD... it's possible we move one to the right side - out of QHs, OJ and Rathboner.   Boner.  What a pick too.   I don't think the team we have right now, is going to look anything like the one we have when EP and QHs are 28-32..but do think there still is a chance OJ could be part of both cores (the one we have now, and the one we will have later). 

12 hours ago, Amebushi said:

Good deal for both sides. OJ has a lot more to show, so I am expecting this to be good value this year and cost a little more next year. What I really want to know is when Vintage is going to spill the beans on the Petey and Hughes contracts. 

2 min before it becomes public knowledge.... As soon as the pen touches the paper... and way before the ink is dry... @-Vintage Canuck-is the King...

Edited by spook007
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1