The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Afghanistan War With USA Ends After 20 Years as Last US Troop Leave Kabul

DonLever

12 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Most of those terrorists where Saudi's 

You know the country the US sells billions of dollars of arms to.

Dude that has been debunked that many times.

Even GW now admits there were no weapons of mass destruction.

His words in 2016 quote 

" They lied,they said there were weapons of mass destruction,there were none.

ALL GOVERNMENTS LIE 

I don’t believe they ever said the Afghanistan government had WMDs. According to the 9/11 commissions findings :
The commission also concluded 15 of the 19 hijackers who carried out the attacks were from Saudi Arabia, but the commission "found no evidence that the Saudi government as an institution or senior Saudi officials individually funded the organization" to conspire in the attacks,[2] or that it funded the attackers even though the report identifies that "Saudi Arabia has long been considered the primary source of al-Qaeda funding"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/9/11_Commission_Report

Afghanistan was about fighting terrorism and nothing more, not all those crazy conspiracies. 

To believe anything else makes you a crazy conspiracy theorist. Can I hazard a guess that you’re antivaxx as well? 

Edited by Bure_of_94
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I found this but I have to seriously question the sincerity as such an ambitious plan should have been well underway weeks if not months ago. I’ll keep up hope though.

That's a lot more than we are doing Pete.

As I have posted we haven't even helped those who helped us and are now in danger for doing so.

Edited by Ilunga
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Bure_of_94 said:

I don’t believe they ever said the Afghanistan government had WMDs. According to the 9/11 commissions findings :
The commission also concluded 15 of the 19 hijackers who carried out the attacks were from Saudi Arabia, but the commission "found no evidence that the Saudi government as an institution or senior Saudi officials individually funded the organization" to conspire in the attacks,[2] or that it funded the attackers even though the report identifies that "Saudi Arabia has long been considered the primary source of al-Qaeda funding"

Afghanistan was about fighting terrorism and nothing more, not all those crazy conspiracies. 

To believe anything else makes you a crazy conspiracy theorist. Can I hazard a guess that you’re antivaxx as well? 

Your guess would be wrong I am booked in for my first jab in three weeks and my follow up jab 3 weeks later.

Where did state anything about the reason for the invasion of Afghanistan.

I simply provided evidence to debunk your claim about GW's coalition of the willing. 

Seeing that his and other  intelligence agencies lied to him about WMD's what else have they lied to him about.

Critical thinking is your friend.

Just now, Ilunga said:

Your guess would be wrong I am booked in for my first jab in three weeks and my follow up jab 3 weeks later.

Where did state anything about the reason for the invasion of Afghanistan.

I simply provided evidence to debunk your claim about GW's coalition of the willing. 

Seeing that his and other  intelligence agencies lied to him about WMD's what else have they lied to him about.

Critical thinking is your friend.

You’re confused. I think you’re talking about Iraq. This thread is about Afghanistan. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, sassbs said:

Hard to believe Afghanistan was so beautiful it was actually a tourist destination.   Google the pics.   Afghan women wearing knee high skirts heading to uni.   Grass everywhere, women in swimsuits.  Men not giving a crap like it was an everyday thing!  

It’s sad how it is now.   

Canada's Knowledge Network is running a four part documentary series called "Afghanistan: The Wounded Land".  I've watched the first two episodes and they're quite interesting.  

Episodes can be streamed at KN's website:

https://www.knowledge.ca/program/afghanistan-wounded-land?utm_source=streambutton&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=enews&utm_content=NSDO13082021

A preview clip:

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Bure_of_94 said:

You’re confused. I think you’re talking about Iraq. This thread is about Afghanistan. 

You brought up the coalition of the willing.

That was the name coined by Bush for the nation's that invaded Iraq.

I think you need to get your facts straight.

Willing to admit your guess wrong ?

Edited by Ilunga

2 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

You brought up the coalition of the willing.

That was the name coined by Bush for the nation's that invaded Iraq.

I think you need to get your facts straight.

Willing to admit your guess wrong ?

I may have been mistaken but the coalition of the willing I understood were the nations that were brave enough to join in the war on terrorism.  I thought GWB(greatest American president btw) coined the phrase before the Afghanistan invasion? 

It was clear quite a while back that there was never going to be a good time to get out of Afghanistan. No good end result. It was only a matter of who was going to pull the plug. Trump was going to, and now Biden has. 

Stay or go, it's a royal mess all the same. U.S. foreign policy has never understood the long game. 

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Bure_of_94 said:

I may have been mistaken but the coalition of the willing I understood were the nations that were brave enough to join in the war on terrorism.  I thought GWB(greatest American president btw) coined the phrase before the Afghanistan invasion? 

There is no may have been about it,you are mistaken

Then you accuse me of being an anti vaxxer.

Research and critical thinking are friends.

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

Canada's Knowledge Network is running a four part documentary series called "Afghanistan: The Wounded Land".  I've watched the first two episodes and they're quite interesting.  

Episodes can be streamed at KN's website:

https://www.knowledge.ca/program/afghanistan-wounded-land?utm_source=streambutton&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=enews&utm_content=NSDO13082021

A preview clip:

If you're interested in that old Afghani man's quote at the end. He is Masoud Khalili, an Afghani diplomat that has thankfully relocated his family to Spain. Initially, the interview from 2011.

https://www.macleans.ca/news/world/the-healing-begins/

In recent months, Afghan President Hamid Karzai has intensified efforts to negotiate a peace deal with the Taliban. Khalili doesn’t think these will amount to much. “I don’t believe in moderate Taliban. You’re in Taliban or you’re not in Taliban,” he says. “They won’t talk. They fight. So what can you do? You defend. My father once wrote that war is the worst possible option. But sometimes it is an option. Because mercy to the wolf is cruelty to the lamb. Some things are so principled that you cannot make a deal on—human rights, rights of women, education. You bring peace to Afghanistan like that, with no freedom; it’s like peace in a graveyard. Stability in a graveyard is good for dead people.”

Unfortunately, there are moderate peace loving people in Kabul that are trying to get out in a disaster of a situation now, and the positive title of the interview seems like a farce when people are saying the current regime has a month or less left.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Bure_of_94 said:

Afghanistan was about opium and oil....period.  It had nothing to do with actually fighting terrorism because if they wanted to fight terrorism they'd have napalmed the pakistani mountain ranges for years and eliminated any and all threats from isis and iranian backed insurgents across any number of Middle eastern theaters.

Only the deluded bought in to that war on terror crap.  It was and always has been about money, control and power.  Just look at what pipelines were built in afghanistan and who was in charge of the companies that built them, on their boards or major shareholders.  Look at which companies all of a sudden started mass producing synthetic painkillers and opiate rich medicines and follow the trail again.

War on terror...please

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Tucker Carlson opines on the Afghanistan situation in the first fifteen minutes of today's show:

This is kind of nauseating because one of Carlsons only shining moments at all int he last decade was his comments about and against afghanistan, now he's back and forth about how it might be a bad thing if america leaves and how it might be bidens fault.  Craziness by the talking head and the open mouths will eat it up.

23 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Personally I subscribe to “mind our own business” foreign policy.

Getting involved in other countries conflicts eventually draws you in and all sides start to hate you.

War in Afghanistan was un winnable, the only way to “win” was to annihilate the whole country.

I remember reading a story in NYT right after 9/11 that some in the U.S administration wanted to use nuclear weapons in Afghanistan. 

I find it so funny whenever US media tries to accuse Russia of meddling with their politics.  The country that NEVER minds it's own business accusing others of doing it.  Hilarious. 

10 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I find it so funny whenever US media tries to accuse Russia of meddling with their politics.  The country that NEVER minds it's own business accusing others of doing it.  Hilarious. 

U.S has no room to talk but Russians have been sticking their noses where they don’t belong.

Norway, Switzerland, Iceland  etc. can lecture us all about minding our own business.

U.K, Israel, France, Russia etc. have no room to talk.

Edited by CBH1926

2 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

U.S has no room to talk but Russians have been sticking their noses where they don’t belong.

Norway, Switzerland, Iceland  etc. can lecture us all about minding our own business.

U.K, Israel, France, Russia etc. have no room to talk.

If you're looking at the list then throw China in there as well...  but all of them pale in comparison to US.  

9 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

If you're looking at the list then throw China in there as well...  but all of them pale in comparison to US.  

China is slowly getting there as it’s military and economic power is climbing.

But yeah, no doubt who the biggest culprit of getting involved in other countries affairs is.

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Afghanistan was about opium and oil....period.  It had nothing to do with actually fighting terrorism because if they wanted to fight terrorism they'd have napalmed the pakistani mountain ranges for years and eliminated any and all threats from isis and iranian backed insurgents across any number of Middle eastern theaters.

Only the deluded bought in to that war on terror crap.  It was and always has been about money, control and power.  Just look at what pipelines were built in afghanistan and who was in charge of the companies that built them, on their boards or major shareholders.  Look at which companies all of a sudden started mass producing synthetic painkillers and opiate rich medicines and follow the trail again.

War on terror...please

This is finally that rare occasion you're wrong on all accounts... 

First off the opium and oil are just the spoils of war or think of it as profit.. 

The point of the invasion of Afghanistan was to get rid of the Taliban and Al Qaeda/kill Osama Bin Laden... 

Anything else is pure conspiracy and lunacy at best.

ISIS mostly got their start in Syria and Iraq so nowhere close to Afghanistan... 

Iranian back insurgents would not be common in Afghanistan as the Taliban and the Iranian regime have traditonally been enemies. 

Hell Iran even backed the Northern Alliance for a time being. 

Afghanistan is not known for producing oil rather natural gas and minerals.

The opium has been traditionally used by the Taliban to fund their campaigns. 

Comparing this conflict to Iraq, Syria, or anything else is entirely foolish. 

• Wat 2
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, drummer4now said:

The point of the invasion of Afghanistan was to get rid of the Taliban and Al Qaeda/kill Osama Bin Laden... 

Anything else is pure conspiracy and lunacy at best.

Do you genuinely believe this?  Like honestly?

When the US military were hosting consistent talks with Taliban leadership?  When the former US president actually signed what amounts to a peace agreement with the Taliban.  When the US military knowingly left stockpiles of arms in areas close to iraqi borders near known strongholds of certain groups who had specific agendas in other nations.

You honestly believe that the fight in Afghanistan was to remove the Taliban and fight terrorism?

Edited by Warhippy
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1