The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coyotes lose vote for new arena - future unclear

Rate this topic

mll

39 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Frank Serivelli on the coyotes playing at Mullet for another year and trying to find another deal.

"it's like me at the highschool dance. How many times do you need to hear no?" :lol:

6, all by the same girl, then I walked by her but didn’t ask so she asked me why I didn’t and I told her she wasn’t worth 7 tries and them she asked me to dance.

Shortly after her hulk of a boyfriend beat the crap out of me.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

16 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

I have my doubts that is true, but I also highly doubt Metro Vancouver can support more than one NHL franchise. 

14 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

For those of whom think there's no suitable arena in Kansas City.

T-Mobile Center is only 16 years old. Seats 17,544. Now Houston has a far bigger TV market than Kansas City. But it's an option.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-Mobile_Center

True. But it isn't the hot new arena that it used to be. Kansas used to be the go-to place everyone would talk about bc of this building. But Gary chose to lose 100 million and play in dumps like Mullet instead

1 hour ago, the harry said:

Go to Toronto!

That market is big enough for 2 teams. Start an insane rivalry and the media crowd there will finally have 2 teams to write about. Seriously

If the anti Bettman becomes the commissioner of the NHL, there will be a team in Hamilton. John Shannon says Bettman has 5 more years left

20 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Move them to Quebec City and charge 500 million relocation fee.

Expand to Houston and either Salt Lake City or Portland to create a more balanced western conference.

How much money would Montreal lose is also part of the equation on whether Quebec is a viable location.  Is Quebec bringing in new fans or mostly diverting fans from Montreal (or even Ottawa).  A study done over 5 years ago showed that corporates were more likely to divert money from Montreal to Quebec vs injecting new money in.  If they do the study today would the results change?

LeBrun/Gentille point out that: "There’s an arena, sure, but no corporate base to speak of and a metropolitan area of about 800,000 people."  

The national US TV deal with ESPN/TNT would be affected by a relocation out of the US - needs to be also factored in as that's revenue loss league wide. There's also the risk of change with everything done in USD - was one of the concerns when Quebec made a bid (was for the Vegas expansion).

Other concerns with Quebec was attracting players and their families given the language / every day life + schools.  Montreal is already struggling and Quebec doesn't have the international flair of Montreal.  

Also Detroit/CBJ have been adamant that they do not want to be in the West - affects their revenue because of the time zone difference.  There's more than just having an arena that comes into play.  

16 minutes ago, mll said:

How much money would Montreal lose is also part of the equation on whether Quebec is a viable location.  Is Quebec bringing in new fans or mostly diverting fans from Montreal (or even Ottawa).  A study done over 5 years ago showed that corporates were more likely to divert money from Montreal to Quebec vs injecting new money in.  If they do the study today would the results change?

LeBrun/Gentille point out that: "There’s an arena, sure, but no corporate base to speak of and a metropolitan area of about 800,000 people."  

The national US TV deal with ESPN/TNT would be affected by a relocation out of the US - needs to be also factored in as that's revenue loss league wide. There's also the risk of change with everything done in USD - was one of the concerns when Quebec made a bid (was for the Vegas expansion).

Other concerns with Quebec was attracting players and their families given the language / every day life + schools.  Montreal is already struggling and Quebec doesn't have the international flair of Montreal.  

Also Detroit/CBJ have been adamant that they do not want to be in the West - affects their revenue because of the time zone difference.  There's more than just having an arena that comes into play.  

I think the revival of a heated revelry and opportunity to sell more merchandise would increase revenue for Montreal, not diminish it.

There's a wide corporate base in Quebec province, heated competition between 2 cities breeds opportunity.

The more controversy you can create, the more opportunity there is to motivate people to spend money.

15 hours ago, rekker said:

No kidding, lol. Is it possible to have two centers of the universe?

No way Arizona gets moved into Ontario. Laffer #2 team will be an expansion. Why? Because the NHL will charge $2 billion for that franchise. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

Well they better figure out their crap in Arizona and the NHL.  Dick around for a few years and he might Dirk Graham them.  We drafted the future Selke winner and Hawks captain and then never signed him and lost him as a free agent.  Basically cost ourselves a second Stan Smyl kind of guy.  Could have really used him for the 1982 run as well.

• Cheers 1