The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coyotes lose vote for new arena - future unclear

Rate this topic

mll

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Three more or two college seasons for Cooley to be a free agent?

Don’t count on him becoming a free agent.

Very rare for high firsts to not sign their ELCs. It just doesn’t make sense for them to delay their development and a big payday. Even if the organization they’re signing on with is a massive joke.

• Vintage 1

On 5/19/2023 at 1:11 PM, Nave said:

Hearing about 1 Toronto team is bad enough; can't imagine hearing about 2.

It will never happen. The Laffs are probably the most territorial team in existence. They think everyone should be a Leafs fan. If they tried to block Vancouver in the '67 expansion because apparently all of English Canada is Leafs territory and they consider 400km away Ottawa to be their cross town rival, they will never allow another team close to TO. 

• 2 weeks later...

Move it to Houston, and rename it to the Houston Aeros.  Why that name? Houston had an IHL team by that name.  They also have an NHL ready arena downtown in the Toyota Center.  And, Tilman Fertitta is willing and wanting to purchase it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, The Colt 45s said:

Move it to Houston, and rename it to the Houston Aeros.  Why that name? Houston had an IHL team by that name.  They also have an NHL ready arena downtown in the Toyota Center.  And, Tilman Fertitta is willing and wanting to purchase it.

Does he thought? Maybe on his terms. But the Coyotes’ owner has no need to sell now. And certainly not for a price he doesn’t like. He’s got two years in his current rink and can find other options in that area. 

5 hours ago, cripplereh said:

I can only say this.

Move them to Quebec.

They would trade Keller and who ever they can.Rebuild properly and 4 years be a competitive team.

They would sell out till that happens.

Why doesn't Bettyman see this?

US TV MARKET!

Though this day and age it is stupid to chase regional broadcasting seeing how it is pretty much dying off as we speak. 

Edited by 24K PureCool

On 6/1/2023 at 9:25 PM, 24K PureCool said:

US TV MARKET!

Though this day and age it is stupid to chase regional broadcasting seeing how it is pretty much dying off as we speak. 

That's why Vegas is and others are willing to give games away free on tv.

TV sales have been screwing the league like last year millions  lost as Bettyman went with a company that went bankrupt.

Game were and should be free from now on and more teams will start doing that.That sells games and the sport.

TV markets are dying as anyone can get games free anytime already.

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

He'd probably crawl out of his grave just to say, "I told you it would work!" when Arizona actually fields a professional ice hockey team within the highest league and pulls a profit without having to profit-share...

...in the year 2683.  :rolleyes:

I think they know that they have to move this team, but they also have a building that they have a lease with for next season. I think if there isn't a firm plan in place in Arizona by the time he puck drops on the new season, they will move quickly to finalize relocation to either Salt Lake, Kansas, Houston or possibly Quebec. It sounds like Salt Lake would be more interested in an expansion franchise though.

So, move team to Quebec and give them a reasonable price on that and then open expansion bids for 2 new Western team and let those 3 cities submit bids.

Leaving Arizona now, doesn't mean that they can't explore expansion there if they ever figure out a building in future...

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Certainly hasn't stopped them from picking at the Atlanta scab.

I don't think they'll move the team from Arizona to Quebec.  Too many factors working against that.  They'd sooner move Ottawa's team there than a team from the southern states and admit defeat at their plan to chase "tv ratings".  :rolleyes:

Or, if people keep talking about selling the 'nucks off for moving (we'd never get a franchise back btw, but whatever floats their fantasy boat, I guess), Quebec would be a possible destination at that point, only so the league can say that the total Canadian team headcount remains the same.

If the correct league owners don’t want to pony up the difference between what QC will pay for the Coyotes and what Huston or Salt Lake will pay then for sure the club ends up in QC. The owners might not want to pay 10 - 20 mil each to subsidize new ownership’s purchase in a U.S. city when they can get 10 - 20 mil each in transfer fees from QC. That’s a net 20 - 40 mil into the pockets of each owner. Bettman works for those owners. Not the other way around. 

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Certainly hasn't stopped them from picking at the Atlanta scab.

I don't think they'll move the team from Arizona to Quebec.  Too many factors working against that.  They'd sooner move Ottawa's team there than a team from the southern states and admit defeat at their plan to chase "tv ratings".  :rolleyes:

Or, if people keep talking about selling the 'nucks off for moving (we'd never get a franchise back btw, but whatever floats their fantasy boat, I guess), Quebec would be a possible destination at that point, only so the league can say that the total Canadian team headcount remains the same.

Well, remember that they did move a team from Atlanta to Calgary and then another one years later to Winnipeg, so it does happen. That said, I think they want to keep the team in the Western Conference, so I don't think they will do it. Would be more likely that they look at moving the Panthers to Quebec if this run to the finals doesn't spark attendance.

• Cheers 2