The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coyotes lose vote for new arena - future unclear

Rate this topic

mll

54 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

The Quebec Remparts had 18,000 ppl watching junior playoff hockey. Plus Quebec is better than Winnipeg.

This isn't even a contest. But whatever. 

Lets move Quebec City to Vancouver Island. Then it will be on the West Coast. Problem solved.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If the Coyotes move, what are the odds Gary retires soon after?

He doesn't retire, he's just finally made vulnerable and succumbs to the deal he made with the devil 

The Arizona Coyotes are his horcrux 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

58 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Ugh. Utah. I guess that is one way of making Winnipeg and Edmonton look better. 

I would say they are the favorite at this point. After listening and reading about this all day, Salt Lake city is the favorite.

The NHL is the most high on Houston. But the Houston group wasn't. The last time they met , they low balled the NHL. So that's good. 

6 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Why is Hamilton such a no-go zone because the Leafs wont allow it. But Dallas will supposedly be totally fine with Houston ? Another glaring contradiction that shows the bias for US teams. The NHL decides on cities it wants and then makes up reasons why other cities wont work.

Oh of course we cant have Hamilton. Dilution bruh. But Houston wants a team? Coming right up....

What a joke. 

They’re not going east regardless, neither Columbus or Detroit want any part of being in the Western Conference again. 

Choices are basically Salt Lake , Houston, Portland, Kansas. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

https://twitter.com/rwesthead/status/1468751889231757323?s=20

How much $$ has the NHL left on table by remaining committed to Phoenix? Forbes reported today Coyotes lost estimated $33M in 2021 & have lost a combined $141.6M over past 10 years. Sports bankers I've talked to over the years have said they're at a loss to understand NHL logic.

Edited by MaxVerstappen33
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

They’re not going east regardless, neither Columbus or Detroit want any part of being in the Western Conference again. 

Choices are basically Salt Lake , Houston, Portland, Kansas. 

That has nothing to do with the point I was making. And I said on this page that Salt Lake is favorite.

Edited by MaxVerstappen33

17 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

100% the Yotes are moving to Houston.

These are the top US TV markets.

Atlanta just doesn't work. So if you're leaving the 11th largest market, you're going to the 7th largest market. Plus hockey works in Dallas so why wouldn't it work in Houston? The Houston Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta has a net worth of 8.2 Billion dollars.

Forbes lists the Coyotes value at $450 Million. Now consider this is pretty much a fire sale so Fertitta can easily swing this and probably make himself a ton of money within 5-10 years and he's 65 years old so he has time to wait it out.

I am sure they want as large a TV market as possible, but don’t lose sight of the fact all markets aren’t created the same in terms of the popularity of hockey.  Minneapolis is going to get bigger ratings than Atlanta or Phoenix.

It is such a minor sport, that the total population isn’t anywhere near as important as the likely draw.  Vegas wasn’t a big market, but with no other major league sports, and a visitor pool of fans it works.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It is not going to be his choice in the end.  

With revenue sharing, other owners are subsidizing them. It is also a drag on league revenues so the owners and NHLPA have a vested interest in seeing that situation change.

It was one thing when there was a realistic chance of a new arena and a deep pocket owner who could turn it around.  There is no prospect of an end to Mullet arena debacle.

They are not going to get a better deal than what Tempe voted down.  It used almost no public money (just for roads and infrastructure).

Starting a new option from the beginning means that if everything went perfectly, they are still 4-5 years away from an arena being built.  Most likely it would be another year or two of planning and public votes only to have it fail.

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 2

29 minutes ago, Provost said:

I am sure they want as large a TV market as possible, but don’t lose sight of the fact all markets aren’t created the same in terms of the popularity of hockey.  Minneapolis is going to get bigger ratings than Atlanta or Phoenix.

It is such a minor sport, that the total population isn’t anywhere near as important as the likely draw.  Vegas wasn’t a big market, but with no other major league sports, and a visitor pool of fans it works.

True but in Houston they have a market with a history of hockey unlike when they gambled on Phoenix. It's not that big a stretch to think Houston will be successful.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Bettman doesn't like hard bargaining from anyone that he doesn't think has power. That's how TSN lost its hockey rights if I understand right. 

I have a feeling this Houston owner is more positive about getting NHL hockey than he's letting on. But he's just bargaining. And Bettman won't like that one bit. He'll opt for Salt lake just to stick it to him. 

Whoever gets Arizona is going to have a pretty talented club in a few years. The fans that suffered through years of pain lose again with no payoff. Similar the the Nordiques Fans.  Imagine investing in a team for 25 years waiti g for that big payoff only to have your team move to an undeserving market 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Doesn't Toronto own the territorial rights in that area?  Hamilton is only like a 90-minute drive to Toronto.  I thought that was the main issue with moving a team to Hamilton.

Houston is 4 hours away from Dallas.  San Antonio is even closer.  They all have NBA teams, so I don't see an issue with saturating the market there.  Dallas/Houston would make a great rivalry...

Not to mention the proximity of Hamilton to Buffalo.

I am all for a team in Houston.

• Cheers 2

34 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Whoever gets Arizona is going to have a pretty talented club in a few years. The fans that suffered through years of pain lose again with no payoff. Similar the the Nordiques Fans.  Imagine investing in a team for 25 years waiti g for that big payoff only to have your team move to an undeserving market 

Similar to how Colorado was gifted a great young team. Love to see the Coyotes go to QC.  And they embarrass the z Habs multiple times a year. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1