The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Offer Sheet] Hurricanes offer sheet Jesperi Kotkaniemi

Just now, Quint said:

Habs fans need to get over being upset he signed it. Who wouldn't sign an offer sheet for 3 or 4 million more than they are worth?

That’s why it’s such a great number and term by the Canes!  One year, and either move the asset, or resign for a longer term and lesser cap.  The Habs are so screwed here.  The have to match, or look completely stupid.  

55 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Probably but I think the difference is Aho cap hit and term is probably around what he was worth (and even good value). 

For the Habs they know this is a massive overpayment designed to mess up the Habs cap structure. And really does no favors for the Habs at all. 

Even if Aho is worth 9mil right now, Boeser signed for 5.9mil AAV the same year. It means Carolina probably coulda get Aho signed at a much lower AAV without the offer sheet screwing things up. 

48 minutes ago, tas said:

if they match they can't trade him for at least a year. 

I don't feel like this is correct. Montreal can match and trade him if they'd like. It is Carolina that cannot trade him if Montréal does not match

2 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Even if Aho is worth 9mil right now, Boeser signed for 5.9mil AAV the same year. It means Carolina probably coulda get Aho signed at a much lower AAV without the offer sheet screwing things up. 

Aho's base salary is $700,000.oo x2 then $750,000.oox2 followed by $775,000.oo in the final season. Montreal made the signing bonuses the hopeful deterrent to Carolina matching. They just paid over 21 million in signing bonuses over the past two seasons. It's no wonder the owner took it personally and decided to retaliate with this offer sheet.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Carolina fans were fine with Aho after he accepted Montreal’s offer.  At the end of the day the players want to get paid. Fans need to chill out. 

Yea but Aho is actually a good player. 

14 minutes ago, CR7 said:

I don't feel like this is correct. Montreal can match and trade him if they'd like. It is Carolina that cannot trade him if Montréal does not match

No,  I believe it is correct. Montreal has 7 days to match and if they do they can’t trade him for one year according to Capfriendly, see the last line here.

0E243322-117F-4474-AB6A-609ABF8B6EC9.jpeg

• Thanks 2

I'd take the picks.

Gives the Montreal G.M. a "reason" for anything he does over the next year.

We had to go into a re build because of Carolina's offer sheet

We had to trade............ because        

We ended up paying more for player x because.

23 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Aho's base salary is $700,000.oo x2 then $750,000.oox2 followed by $775,000.oo in the final season. Montreal made the signing bonuses the hopeful deterrent to Carolina matching. They just paid over 21 million in signing bonuses over the past two seasons. It's no wonder the owner took it personally and decided to retaliate with this offer sheet.

Yeah I think if anything, it's ownership that is most upset with the Habs offer sheeting Aho. I assume that's a lot of money for the owner to pay upfront and I imagine it affected his other businesses in terms of budgeting 

• Vintage 1

34 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That’s why it’s such a great number and term by the Canes!  One year, and either move the asset, or resign for a longer term and lesser cap.  The Habs are so screwed here.  The have to match, or look completely stupid.  

Don’t see why they need to match.  It messes up their cap structure and could make it harder to get Suzuki at a reasonable number in a year.  Kotkaniemi might not even want to be a Hab anymore - he was scratched at times including in the playoffs.  Montreal might no longer think he can become the player they thought when they drafted him.  

They have to make the decision that makes sense for the long term and not just match because it would hurt their pride.  

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

Probably but I think the difference is Aho cap hit and term is probably around what he was worth (and even good value). 

For the Habs they know this is a massive overpayment designed to mess up the Habs cap structure. And really does no favors for the Habs at all. 

You can’t fault Kotkaniemi. By reports he was looking for a contract in $3.5m range.  He was offered $6m. If you’re 21 and someone offers to pay you $2.5m more than what your current team won’t even agree to. You sign the deal 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, mll said:

Don’t see why they need to match.  It messes up their cap structure and could make it harder to get Suzuki at a reasonable number in a year.  Kotkaniemi might not even want to be a Hab anymore - he was scratched at times including in the playoffs.  Montreal might no longer think he can become the player they thought when they drafted him.  

They have to make the decision that makes sense for the long term and not just match because it would hurt their pride.  

Agreed. I think it’s more likely they walk away. Kotkaniemi might end up being the player they hoped for when he was drafted. But as of right now he’s not worth a $6m cap hit and it ties their hands in negotiations with Suzuki (who is a legit young star) 

Just now, qwijibo said:

You can’t fault Kotkaniemi. By reports he was looking for a contract in $3.5m range.  He was offered $6m. If you’re 21 and someone offers to pay you $2.5m more than what your current team won’t even agree to. You sign the deal 

I agree. I'm not faulting anyone here. I understand Kotkaniemi's position he's getting paid 3 years of pay in a year and regardless if his salary is Lower next season. But you can imagine how personal Habs fans will take this, heck they thought the sky was falling when the Habs traded away PK Subban 

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Also has a player ever not signed an offer sheet? I’ve never heard that.

I don’t even think his agent would let him not sign it. It would be stupid not to.

Montreal can match if they really value him. Then negotiate a long term deal on a more reasonable salary. Something in the 4-5 million dollar range.

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

I agree. I'm not faulting anyone here. I understand Kotkaniemi's position he's getting paid 3 years of pay in a year and regardless if his salary is Lower next season. But you can imagine how personal Habs fans will take this, heck they thought the sky was falling when the Habs traded away PK Subban 

I’m a huge Montreal fan. I understand it’s a business. It’s Bergevin and Duchsrmes fault for making the kid feel undervalued. Kotkaniemi isn’t to blame. If they match snd bring him back I’ll welcome him with open arms. It’s Bergevin’s mess to clean up 

Just now, DeNiro said:

Also has a player ever not signed an offer sheet? I’ve never heard that.

I don’t even think his agent would let him not sign it. It would be stupid not to.

Montreal can match if they really value him. Then negotiate a long term deal on a more reasonable salary. Something in the 4-5 million dollar range.

I’m sure a lot of offer sheets have been te dated and rejected by the player. You don’t hear about them because they don’t matter 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, qwijibo said:

I’m sure a lot of offer sheets have been te dated and rejected by the player. You don’t hear about them because they don’t matter 

I don’t agree they don’t matter. It shows loyalty by the player.

With how every detail is reported nowadays you would think those stories would come out if it happened that often.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t agree they don’t matter. It shows loyalty by the player.

With how every detail is reported nowadays you would think those stories would come out if it happened that often.

But it’s really of value to no one to release that information. I don’t think they’re super common. But you have to think GM’s approach player agents every spring about how much interest their client would have in signing with them. 

Speaking of which that channel I shared of the Habs YouTube channel some interesting (and hilarious) points they made in the video:

- Hurricane organization are ran by Children and Babies

- Offer Sheets suck 

- Canes organization are using Kotkaniemi's and taking advantage of his vulnerable state 

- the Habs offer sheet was fair and structured and the Canes offer sheet was unprofessional and made to troll 

• Haha 4