The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Offer Sheet] Hurricanes offer sheet Jesperi Kotkaniemi

13 hours ago, JM_ said:

Price and a string of good bounces did that. They didn't give Tampa much of a challenge, lets be honest here. 

There was maybe a string of bounces in the Toronto series but even in the games they lost in that series they were playing very hard. And they swept the Jets and had the Golden Knights out in six so.. The teams they faced before Lightning were no slouches so I don’t think it was Price and bounces. Even in the Final they outshot Tampa in two games by

35-30 and 43-23 plus even in the games they lost 5-1, 3-1, 6-3.. they were controlling play a lot and playing effective aggressive hockey. Add on when Josh Anderson scored in OT to send it back to Tampa Bay. They definitely had Tampa Bay a little nervous at moments. So no it was not Price and bounces that carried them to the Final. It was a team with not really any true Elite talent but great depth and a “size of the fight in the dog” hunger.

Edited by ZH96
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

There was maybe a string of bounces in the Toronto series but even in the games they lost in that series they were playing very hard. And they swept the Jets and had the Golden Knights out in six so.. The teams they faced before Lightning were no slouches so I don’t think it was Price and bounces. Even in the Final they outshot Tampa in two games by

35-30 and 43-23 plus even in the games they lost 5-1, 3-1, 6-3.. they were controlling play a lot and playing effective aggressive hockey. Add on when Josh Anderson scored in OT to send it back to Tampa Bay. They definitely had Tampa Bay a little nervous at moments. So no it was not Price and bounces that carried them to the Final. It was a team with not really any true Elite talent but great depth and a “size of the fight in the dog” hunger.

If Scheiffle doesn't go mental, do they win that series? 

DeBoer doesn't change goalies, do they win? 

Montreal got very lucky in a weird year. 

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, knucklehead91 said:

Personally I just havent seen JK’s “potential”. Granted its a pretty small sample size I’ve seen but his speed isnt neck breaking, his shot isnt heavy, his hands are okay but they arent magic. Like usually a guy thats breaking into the league shows something that is above the rest, for example Boeser‘s shot, we could see from the start the kid had a special shot, Hoglander has creativeness and a fearless attitude, he didnt rack up a ton of points but you can see a ton of potential. Like dont get me wrong, JK is pretty decent, but nothing stands out in particular about him, aside from that mole. 

MTL was a low scoring team, so its hard to go off just scoring stats with him. Whatever numbers Carolina has crunched, they clearly see more there. 

Of course they could be wrong, but they have done a very good job scouting. I'd bet on Carolina being right vs. Bereclown, given how a number of his recent assessments have gone, like Sergachev. 

20 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Such a load of crap. It was petty as hell and the social media account played that aspect up. If you’re going to be petty you may as well own it.  I’m sure they like Kotkaniemi as a player. But the way this played out was 100% motivated by revenge 

Man that comes off as butt hurt :P

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

20 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Such a load of crap. It was petty as hell and the social media account played that aspect up. If you’re going to be petty you may as well own it.  I’m sure they like Kotkaniemi as a player. But the way this played out was 100% motivated by revenge 

If you say so.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

MTL was a low scoring team, so its hard to go off just scoring stats with him. Whatever numbers Carolina has crunched, they clearly see more there. 

Of course they could be wrong, but they have done a very good job scouting. I'd bet on Carolina being right vs. Bereclown, given how a number of his recent assessments have gone, like Sergachev. 

Or could it be a joke that backfired on Carolina? They saw an opportunity to offersheet a young guy on MTL and pay him WELL over what hes worth pretty shortly after MTL Offer sheeted Aho. Especially it being a 1 year deal and $20 signing bonus. I feel like it was a complete troll job that backfired. 

I’d say Bergevin made it out of this situation by the skin of his teeth. Lost Kotkaniemi, but got a 1st and 3rd in compensation and got Dvorak whos under contract at a good cap hit for 4 more years and still have a 1st round pick at the end of the day. It would have been f***ing hilarious if he lost Danault and Kotkaniemi and wasnt able to acquire Dvorak

13 hours ago, knucklehead91 said:

Personally I just havent seen JK’s “potential”. Granted its a pretty small sample size I’ve seen but his speed isnt neck breaking, his shot isnt heavy, his hands are okay but they arent magic. Like usually a guy thats breaking into the league shows something that is above the rest, for example Boeser‘s shot, we could see from the start the kid had a special shot, Hoglander has creativeness and a fearless attitude, he didnt rack up a ton of points but you can see a ton of potential. Like dont get me wrong, JK is pretty decent, but nothing stands out in particular about him, aside from that mole. 

He sees the ice real well, he has a very high hockey IQ in my opinion. He's also 6'2, 200lbs. A lot to like.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Waking up again, and still laughing at the Habs for their terrible off season.  It’s fun watching teams I hate, through their GM’s hubris, get embarrassingly worse.  

I don’t know know Alf, but I wouldn’t underestimate Dvorak. It’s going to take some time to see who won this trade.

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

If Scheiffle doesn't go mental, do they win that series? 

DeBoer doesn't change goalies, do they win? 

Montreal got very lucky in a weird year. 

Jake Evans had just tucked in the empty net 5-3 sealer Game 1 and the Canadiens had taken Game 1 wether Scheifele made the hit or not. They played the same way in game 1, 2, 3, 4. One player does not decide these things in the playoffs even star players like Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Kopitar over the years and now clearly with McDavid, Matthews, Barzal, Scheifele. So yes Montreal would still have won the series. A goalie change between two starting goaltenders in the Vegas series means nothing. Montreal beat Vegas at their own style. Every single team and goaltender needs a lot of “luck” to win the Cup. As many coaches have said. Luck is always part of it. But Montreal fought their way to the Final with their depth and heart.

6 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol unlikely carolina would be even close to winning the cup.. they were a playoff team last year with good goaltending.. now that's gone.. and then losing hamilton.. now they added 6.1mil and pushed them right to the cap.. they have 0 flexibility nor draft capitals to even do anything at the TDL if they even want to make a push

https://www.nhl.com/news/jake-gardiner-will-miss-season-for-carolina/c-326081950

Fixed the cap issue, although DeAngelo will be able to fill the role of a defenseman who can't play any defense whatsoever.  Addition by subtraction for them though.

18 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

They overpaid Kotkaniemi by $3.5m to try to screw Montreal. Now that Bergevin didn’t take the bait snd they’re the ones paying the bill the GM has to try to put a positive spin on it 

Yup, still doing it :lol:

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

Who says it can't be motivated by spite as well as by the opportunity to acquire a 21 year old former third overall pick? The Habs effectively traded the 21 year old former third overall pick for Dvorak plus the pick upgrade from the 3rd rounder they acquired to the 2nd they gave up. 

Again- a 21 year old former third overall pick. Spin it all you want but that's a helluva tough look for the franchise.

I acknowledged they like the player. What I’m disputing us Waddell’s statement that it wasn’t motivated by revenge 

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

Again, why can't it be both? 

It can be.  I’m not arguing that.  I’m  saying Waddell is full of crap with his statement that revenge didn’t play in.  It was clearly a factor unless you believe they think Kotkaniemi is worth $6.1m