The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Virtanen to KHL?

allegend

21 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Russia is a far more macho culture than Canada is now. Jake would be like a man baby over there. 

Please tell me more :-). I was only born and raised in that country and married to a girl from there for many years. But you clearly know better lol. However, on a serious note, all I can tell you that rape is far more prominent in day to day life in Russia. Especially with a high profile western athlete with money - there will be a lot more girls vying for his attention for that reason alone. And majority won't report rape because in Russia large majority of the population still views victims of rape as someone who is to blame (there's even a famous Russian saying "if a chick won't want - a rooster won't jump"). So, if he's indeed guilty in what he's being accused - Russia is the perfect place for him.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

Russia is a far more macho culture than Canada is now. Jake would be like a man baby over there. 

Is it though? What exactly are we defining here by "macho"?

I feel like your comment is more to spite Jake than to actually understand culture since there are a lot of stereotypes out there; yet, there are also a lot of similirities across the most of the world as well that people don't realise. Just remember that male/female physiology and human instinct isn't going to necessarily change that much. We're all still the same species in the end and culture can only shape us so much. ;)

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, RomanP said:

Please tell me more :-). I was only born and raised in that country and married to a girl from there for many years. But you clearly know better lol. However, on a serious note, all I can tell you that rape is far more prominent in day to day life in Russia. Especially with a high profile western athlete with money - there will be a lot more girls vying for his attention for that reason alone. And majority won't report rape because in Russia large majority of the population still views victims of rape as someone who is to blame (there's even a famous Russian saying "if a chick won't want - a rooster won't jump"). So, if he's indeed guilty in what he's being accused - Russia is the perfect place for him.

One can probably say that with respect to alot of countries.  Let's not forget what he is *alleged* (one shouldn't forget nothing has been proven in a court of law at the moment) to have done, happened right here in Canada.

20 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

One can probably say that with respect to alot of countries.  Let's not forget what he is *alleged* (one shouldn't forget nothing has been proven in a court of law at the moment) to have done, happened right here in Canada.

From my one quick google search, no charges have been laid yet and the allegations haven't been "tested in court". That was an article from 3 weeks ago though. I dunno, I am trying not to hang the guy before anything happens. It's why I have largely avoided Jake Virtanen threads until the process plays itself out. Let the powers at be figure out what happened to the best of their abilities. Go from there.

• Cheers 1

Just now, N7Nucks said:

From my one quick google search, no charges have been laid yet and the allegations haven't been "tested in court". That was an article from 3 weeks ago though. I dunno, I am trying not to hang the guy before anything happens. It's why I have largely avoided Jake Virtanen threads until the process plays itself out. Let the powers at be figure out what happened to the best of their abilities. Go from there.

Not saying Jake is guilty, but I will counterpoint. With the vast majority of sexual assault cases not going to court, let alone being found guilty it's hard to maintain the Innocent until proven guilty saying here. By nature, sexual assaults are extremely difficult to prove and prosecute. We will likely never know what happened between Jake and the alleged victim, but I'm not convinced that a trial is the be all end all in these types of cases. The fact that he is litterally being run out of his home country and the NHL says a lot to me personally.

8 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Not saying Jake is guilty, but I will counterpoint. With the vast majority of sexual assault cases not going to court, let alone being found guilty it's hard to maintain the Innocent until proven guilty saying here. By nature, sexual assaults are extremely difficult to prove and prosecute. We will likely never know what happened between Jake and the alleged victim, but I'm not convinced that a trial is the be all end all in these types of cases. The fact that he is litterally being run out of his home country and the NHL says a lot to me personally.

Yeah, that's the real sad part. We'll never truly know what happened. But it wouldn't be fair to ruin his entire career because we can't definitively prove his guilt or innocence. And to say he is being "run out of his home country" is a bit excessive. Lol. He'd be going to the best place to try maintain his career. It's not like he'd be going to Russia to live there to hide from this. I don't think he's even signed any contract yet. The reports just say he was offered a contract. Very clear case of court of public opinion going on right now.

41 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

This is precisely why I said "if he's guilty of what he's being accused"

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

All it really says is that people have made up their mind about him - it has nothing to do with whether he's done anything or not. In our society we have to believe the victim in this incident, but in doing that JV automatically guilty. We may never really know the truth, and that to me is very sad

8 hours ago, mrturkish said:

Gotta love the fact that so many of you have already found him guilty. Nothing has been proven yet. What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty. 
bunch of keyboard judges on here. Even the Canucks have found him guilty. 

He’s also been an entitled disappointment his entire tenure here.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

No surprise right?? The Russians will take garbage from N. America.... wife beaters? no problem! hate mail? no problem! homophobic? no problem! ... and I am not even joking... 

The hate is strong with this one... and I am not even joking...

8 hours ago, RomanP said:

Please tell me more :-). I was only born and raised in that country and married to a girl from there for many years. But you clearly know better lol.

My dad was Russian and I've been twice so thats what I noticed. Didn't mean to suggest anything negative about what you said. 

8 hours ago, RomanP said:

However, on a serious note, all I can tell you that rape is far more prominent in day to day life in Russia. Especially with a high profile western athlete with money - there will be a lot more girls vying for his attention for that reason alone. And majority won't report rape because in Russia large majority of the population still views victims of rape as someone who is to blame (there's even a famous Russian saying "if a chick won't want - a rooster won't jump"). So, if he's indeed guilty in what he's being accused - Russia is the perfect place for him.

honestly I think they won't take him seriously at all. 

14 hours ago, ZH96 said:

He needs to do some soul searching and counselling either way and learn to grow up. This is coming from myself that knows many of Jakes friends, family, and his youth days development coach. As well my friend played against him in AAA many times. I’ve supported Jake since he was in the WHL and honestly thought he was another Jarome Iginla when we drafted him. I’ve made excuses for the guy and supported him since 2014. But after the stories I heard from my teammates in Jr.A that ran into him in places, stories from friends that saw him in clubs in Vancouver, and so forth.. I have lost all respect and think he needs a major humbling and look in the mirror. I was told he has gone into Vancouver clubs shoving people out of the way and saying things like “I’m a Canuck. You see this table? This is my table. I’ll get my Surrey buddies to **** you up.” And of him going around Cultus Lake on his boat and hitting on every single girl he sees. As well as him going to a basketball court in the summer to act hard and cocky and dunk on younger kids. Cut the “he’s young” “he’s young and in his hometown and a known athlete” “he’s just immature and can figure it out” talk. He’s a guy that came from a wealthy background and has never been told “No” in his life. Always handed the best hockey development, best situations, popularity, and then being drafted to his hometown team. What he needs is to be humbled and learn to be a grown good man. He just turned 25. He’s not 19 anymore.

He honestly just sounds like a total tool. 

I don't think other NHL'ers would take him seriously on the ice with that little boy mentality. 

Yikes I can't even imagine how cringe he would've been. 

• Thanks 1

He's a clown that was given years too long a leash. 

I hope he realizes how much he was blessed to be given that chance to be drafted into the NHL and be given a chance that only people could ever dream of doing.

Simply isn't a professional. No work ethic. No effort. Didn't care when we gave him all those opportunities to really improve. He cared only about utilizing his hockey clout as status to use to his own advantage.

I never bought into the excuse of his age being a factor of his unwillingness to put in the work. Player maturity and work ethic are 2 different things.

You see other people his age, college/uni students who work part-time jobs to pay tuition and study until early morning hours for even just the chance to pursue and achieve their goals and their dreams. 

Fans were skeptical about him when we drafted him because of his flaws (like his daft hockey IQ) and the suspicions/over-reactions were, actually for once, proven correct. These allegations were just the cherry on top.

Buh Bye, Jakey poo.

See you never. 

Edited by PetterssonOrPeterson
  • Cheers 3