The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

32 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

No one is going to critique Podz for a having a defensive mindset out there….but, and I’m sure TG would agree, he needs to play a bit differently than he did in the KHL. Maybe Podz has a secret yearning to be a D-man? :lol:

I have a ton of trust in TG, and his constant communication with Podz (and Klim for that matter) during camp makes me sure that he will make the transition to NHL power forward. Just think it may not be as seamless as many (me included) were expecting.

Podz style of play really does not fit scrimmage type play. Meaning he is more at home with high intensity play. He is more than likely unsure how much pressure he should be playing with. We will see, if I am right, when the preseason games began and the intensity is higher. We all know Green likes responsible defensive forwards, so that a plus for Podz staying with the team.  

Edited by vancan2233
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Locke Lamora said:

Now if you were to only base things on Training Camp it would definitely NOT stick. They were hemmed in their own zone far more than they were on the attack. But yeah, I know…its only Training Camp. The preseason will be much more revealing.

Thinking about what I saw with Podz over that last 3 days I actually think Travis Green has to convince the kid to free himself for some offensive thrust. He is so obviously wired for defence and patrolling his zone of ice in the D zone - with his signature legs apart glide with his stick extended out one handed - that he’s often way behind his line mates when they break on up the ice. The Russian coaches really seemed to have done a number on the kid

Klimovich however….the kid just oozes offensive flair from his very pores. His skating was FAR better than I expected. As someone mentioned before he gets visibly down on himself when I he misses the net with a shot or fumbles a pass. At moments like this you are reminded he is freakin’ 18 years old.

As I’ve mentioned, Hoglander is just looking incredible right now. Gadj has made a step…now whether or not its enough for him to start in Van, not sure how Travis would view that. Loved how Lockwood looked. Jett Woo’s performance should silence some of his doubters too. His skating actually looked very good to me.

I guess the plus side of Podz defensive training is we don't need to send him to "get his stuff" at some point. I do think during actual game action his instincts will take over and we'll see more offensive talents come through. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FlyLow_ said:

I know a lot of people would lose their minds, but it's not the worst thing if Podz starts in Abby. Even if he starts there to adjust to the North American style of play I'd imagine he'll be back with the big club before you know it.

My minds already lost.

This though a guarantee ... Podzilla makes the team. 

16 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

There is also a reason he is hangin around.  DG plays hard.

Motte and Highmore also play hard. MacEwen and Gadjovich offer size and truculence. Even Chiasson is in the mix as a big body who has scored 20 goals at the NHL level. 

There is a lot competition this year for 4th line spots. Which is a good thing. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Rathbone looked good in the highlights.  Might ease the pain if QH contract drags on.

I thought Jack looked pretty good throughout and some of the stuff he does offensively is unique to this team. Yes, he does things that even Hughes doesn’t in terms of the velocity of his shot. Though nobody can touch Hughes in terms of escapability.

There is little doubt he’s been better than OJ (though not necessarily much better than Hunt) but I did notice today that Juolevi was getting a lot of looks with Myers (didn’t look great as a pair) and even with Schenn, while Rathbone ended the last part of the scrimmage paired with more fringe partners. Not sure what the reasoning behind this could have been.

And for those who think OJ’s performance in the bag skate was no big deal….listen to Green’s comments about it. He thinks it was a significant thing, and one not good for Juolevi’s prospects to make the team.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RomanP said:

No, he told them not to stress too much when they are not scoring.

Ah, that’s really cool to hear. Travis obviously took note of both young guys looking a little frustrated at times. Dan Klim in particular, should feel very happy about his performance. I mean, the social media sphere is full of praise for him and it is well deserved. I am so excited for the kid. And now I’m trying to decide who his play style reminds me of…..

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

I thought Jack looked pretty good throughout and some of the stuff he does offensively is unique to this team. Yes, he does things that even Hughes doesn’t in terms of the velocity of his shot. Though nobody can touch Hughes in terms of escapability.

There is little doubt he’s been better than OJ (though not necessarily much better than Hunt) but I did notice today that Juolevi was getting a lot of looks with Myers (didn’t look great as a pair) and even with Schenn, while Rathbone ended the last part of the scrimmage paired with more fringe partners. Not sure what the reasoning behind this could have been.

And for those who think OJ’s performance in the bag skate was no big deal….listen to Green’s comments about it. He thinks it was a significant thing, and one not good for Juolevi’s prospects to make the team.

Things can change with a good showing in exhibition.  This will be where you make the team or you lose it.  Hopefully there will be good competition from OJ, Rathbone, and Hunt.

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Ah, that’s really cool to hear. Travis obviously took note of both young guys looking a little frustrated at times. Dan Klim in particular, should feel very happy about his performance. I mean, the social media sphere is full of praise for him and it is well deserved. I am so excited for the kid. And now I’m trying to decide who his play style reminds me of…..

I keep telling him the same thing. He’s too hard on himself for not scoring.

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe I'm reading into things too deep, too soon. But has Brock started to take on a leadership role on the team?
He seems more vocal, working harder and sharing his strategies with his teammates. Me likey. 

just a part of growing up and getting more comfortable and confident. 

• Cheers 1