The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, stawns said:

to establish the power dynamic.  I don't know a single coach who ever uses it for anything other than that and I've known several NHL coaches and GM's.

clearly it's part of Green's "mythology", a right of passage

Much like the Petterson Hughes neogtiations, we don't know what's going on inside other ppl's head.

I see 2 sides to this.

WHen a group of guys are competing for one position, it could be possible that coaching staff wants to see who took offseason training seriously and came to camp in the best shape.

And then comes actual drills, practice, scrimmage.  Obviously, if you are a better player than the other who tested better fitness wise, I would think (again who knows for sure) but I would think Green would go with the better hockey player otherwise we might as well ice a team of marathon runners.

The only time where this might not be a case is if it would create a toxic culture by going with the unmotivated player.

Now comes the tie breaker.

What if OJ and another player are very similar skill wise / hockey player wise.

What is the tiebreaker? Does the fact that ther other player came to camp in better shape and showed a stronger commitment during off season give Green the confidence that this is a player who will do whatever it takes to improve?

Does Green see a higher ceiling for this other player knowing that he has the extra gear it takes to improve?

While one bag skate doen't define a career, all things are done for a purpose otherwise it would be a waste of time.

@NHL97OneTimer Posted a comment from Green.  What he said pretty much summed up how I felt as well.  But then, are we so confident in what we think that we can also now discredit  Green so that we can cling on to our position and defend it?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

“I don’t think he did himself any favours,” said Green on Saturday about Juolevi’s training camp, particularly in the day one bag skate. “There’s a battle going on for that spot. He’s been through it before, I would have expected him to do better than he did in the skate.”

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/canucks-camp-notes-the-hoglander-boeser-connection-and-the-hamonic-question-4458785

I took a lot of heat from @Rob_Zepp and others about commenting on how the bag skate wasn't a good look for OJ.  Not that OJ wasn't good enough, but how it wasn't a good look.  A bag skate is just a bag skate until you are compared with those wanting your job......according to the coach.

With your focus on Ollie. I must say I'm perplexed you didn't come on and quote Travis' latest comment on Ollie.

After the first pre season game "He was fine".

Much more current viewpoint from the coach.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

Travis Green met with media and had a tidbit about Brady Keeper, that he suffered a broken leg after blocking a shot in a scrimmage during training camp.

Canucks losing another Dman, that depth is getting stretched here with Hughes unsigned, and Hamonic questionable to show up, have to wonder if they acquire another dman.

1 hour ago, lmm said:

starts? haha

Motte/Sutter/Keeper/ Petey/Hughes/ Hamonic/ Bailey

that is looking like a pretty good team the Canucks cannot ice

Agree... was mainly thinking of the boy himself.... but yes there's a few although Petey and Hughes are different keetle of fish..

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Excellent news, Kelowna has done well over the years, developing D men.

at just under 20 yrs old Viktor will likely get large ice time in multiple situations.

1 year WHL, 1 tear AHL, NHL  a year later?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gurn said:

at just under 20 yrs old Viktor will likely get large ice time in multiple situations.

I'm pretty high on Persson.  I think he's gonna be a player.  Mobile RHD.  Plus he is Swedish.  What is not to like?  :)

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, gurn said:

With your focus on Ollie. I must say I'm perplexed you didn't come on and quote Travis' latest comment on Ollie.

After the first pre season game "He was fine".

Much more current viewpoint from the coach.

Reasonable comment, but the reason for quoting Green wasn't about Ollie or a bag skate at all.  I wouldn't have bothered sharing the Green quote if Rob had respectfully disagreed. Instead, he blasts back with some bite about not having a clue about the game, don't know what it's like, etc.  I respect his thoughts and his background, but I hope for less ego and more respect on these boards.  Hence, I decided to share the coach's summary of the day to hopefully soften the tone on these boards.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Trying to understand what the connection is between Persson being assigned to Kamloops and past success in development of D in Kelowna :-)

Edited by RomanP
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The Canucks don't play until Friday. This should be a good time to make the obvious cuts and evaluate the performance of players looking to make the team.

I didn't expect much, but Wouters stood out to me today, so I'm not sure who the obvious cuts are... decisions... decisions

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DS4quality said:

I didn't expect much, but Wouters stood out to me today, so I'm not sure who the obvious cuts are... decisions... decisions

If Sutter is going to miss some time, 4th C is available for the taking. Maybe makes the team to start. 

I did not see much of the game as I did not want to wake up at 3 am for a preseason game. However, there were quite a few saying that Wouters - Lockwood - Gadj had a good game and some chemistry. Would be interesting to see.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, FaninMex said:

If Sutter is going to miss some time, 4th C is available for the taking. Maybe makes the team to start. 

I did not see much of the game as I did not want to wake up at 3 am for a preseason game. However, there were quite a few saying that Wouters - Lockwood - Gadj had a good game and some chemistry. Would be interesting to see.

Ya will be interesting to see how that plays out,  especially if Pettersson continues to hold out.  If Pettersson is back I could see Miller playing center and Dickenson being 4th line center but without Pettersson Wouters looked pretty good last night.  Maybe Petan comes in and plays in the top 6 in a scoring role.