The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Just took a quick look, interesting.

Benning's had 49 draft picks and only 6 are regular NHL players.

McCann, Demko, Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes and Hoglander

Wow, that is surprising.

I guess it's the quality of the players that he drafted. I mean all of those players are either a super star caliber player (EP, Hughes), 1st line player (Boeser and yes, even McCann, in Seattle he is a 1C lol), a starting goalie, or a top 6 and may be on trajectory to become a first line player (Hoglander).

Aside from Podkolzin and OJ, we probably need few of those picks from the later rounds to pan out to have success moving forward, like Jett Woo, Gad, Rathbone, MDP, Lockwood, and etc.

Edited by khay

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Rathbone has played in all 5 preseason games. They definitely have a favourite they're desperately trying to get in the lineup. Problem is, Jack isn't ready IMO.

There are cap implications to Rathbone making the team vs being a call up.

He'll have a higher cap hit as a call up because we're using Ferlands LTIR

1 hour ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Hobbit Dmen???

Poolman - 6'2" 200lbs

OEL - 6'2" 200lbs

Myers - 6'8" 229lbs

Schenn - 6'2" 225lbs

If he plays, Hamonic 6'2" 205lbs

That's 5 of our top 7 Dmen that are at least 6'2" and 200+ lbs. Yes we have 2 small Dmen but even if you add them our team average for D is 6'1.75" and 199 lbs. Hunt may be small but he's not on the starting line up.

When you put it down like that they actually look pretty thick!

I just think they aren't nasty enough. I wouldn't want to get hit by Schenn but every other guy no problem.

It's funny Schenn and Myers are almost the same weight.

2 hours ago, mll said:

Green split the team in two groups about a week ago explaining that he wanted to get the main group together because they have so many new players.  Now with a week left and being sent down to the 2nd group doesn't look promising.

You could be right but it could as simple as they wanna see how Jack does with the regulars because they have already seen Joulevi play already last season but it is a bit more likely you're correct. I do think they keep both of them up maybe Hunt as well until we get hammer back and the injured players return to maximize LTIR and keep Joulevi off waivers plus I think because Joulevi took the league minimum instead of arbitration there might have been a verbal agreement that he would at least get a shot in the regular season.

Pure speculation of course but he could have gotten at worst closer to a million or an extra year.

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Let's look into this a bit deeper 

Tryamkin would be an nhler if he hadn't bolted. He has the skill.

Gaudette

Virtanen has the ability but with the charge and whatnot. You know the story. 

Podkolzin is soon to be added to this list but I understand if you're weary about it just yet.

Lockwood looks close to making the team this year as well as Rathbone.

And as someone mentioned forsling.

13 in 49 is alot better. 

There's limited research on this so bare with me. 

From 2000 to 2009 there were 2100 players selected. Only 598 played over 99 games.

28.5%

13/49= 26.5%

Not far off with maybe more to come.

Another thing these calcs don't consider is the players from among the '49' that will still become NHLers.

Players between 2000-2009 considers all the players who were drafted and either did or didn't play.

In the 13 of 49 (or even 6 of 49), it's counting all the picks but giving no allowance for players like Klimovich that can't be expected to have become regulars yet.

So the 49 goes in the negative column, but no true representation gets given to the positive column of the equation.

22 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Maybe they should pair Juolevi with Rathbone in the 3rd pairing for the last 2 games of the preseason - the points don't matter. It should be about assessing them. Then they can decide who's ready to best defend.

See if Rathbone could play the right side, if so that might be a good pair for the season.

9 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

See if Rathbone could play the right side, if so that might be a good pair for the season.

Not a good way of 'breaking in' a rookie to the NHL.  Having him play on his non-normal side.  Particularly with a guy with so few games at the professional level.

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

haha, today's big Canucks story in The Province is:  "Bailey finally arrives to battle for Canucks" - lol like he has a chance or will make any kind of difference.  Really reaching there Province.

I think Bailey has the best chance of any Canuck forward who wasn't one last year, to be honest. I like him a lot, injury shouldn't cost you a shot. 

• Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

There are cap implications to Rathbone making the team vs being a call up.

He'll have a higher cap hit as a call up because we're using Ferlands LTIR

Rathbone had over 4 mins on the PP last game, had two shots all game, a penalty and was minus1 and had one takeaway and one giveaway

OJ didn't have PP time was minus1 as well but had a hit, two blocks and a takeaway without a giveaway

I think OJ is ahead of Bonehead on the depthchart and has already made the club, thus the night off tonight. Rathbone will need to show more blueline work ethic and value or he will be getting lots of PP time in the minors: cuz he isn't taking aPP spot away from Huggy or OEL, that is fore sure. 

• RoughGame 1

24 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Since the GDT isn't up, here is tonight's roster:

FBHRaK6VIBoYjXG?format=jpg&name=large

That blueline though tonight.

Hughes-Poolman

Rathbone-Burroughs

Hunt-Bowey

Excited to see Hughes, but man thats going to be a high event hockey game from this group of 6.

• Like 1