The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Well, I’m not sure the soccer comparison I made is totally appropriate. I mean, when the soccer roll around the pain usually FAKE.

Was OJ was feeling was REAL PAIN :lol:. But the fact is that nobody, not even Garland and OEL, were laid as low as Olli. 

Crazy thing is as slow as Ethan Keppen looked at times out there today, he led his group in the bag skate. Kid has some great lungs, if not great legs. 

4 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

How did he look in the actual drills? Maybe he worked on his strength and skating technique too much and not enough on his cardio.

I'm glad he's okay. For a second there I thought a Rathbone fan sniped him from the stands.

4 hours ago, Chicken. said:

From the short clip it was getting to the point of “is he medically okay?”

Puking from an intense workout is fine, its a natural build up of lactic acid. I have done the same during swim practices in my youth.

Rolling around, laying down in agony during practice doesn't seem fine. I have Been giving Oj the benefit of the doubt for a while as i have personal sympathy for anyone with a knee injury history but this is the pros.

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Haha, talk about a mountain out of a mole hill.  I've been through hundreds of bag skates, both as a player and a coach.  It's meaningless.  It's basically a team building exercise, and "us against them" activity.  I remember one camp in Portland they coaching staff skated us until every last player on the ice puked and it has zero meaning as far as game play, ice time etc.

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think some are putting too much into the Juolevi bag skate. Sure, he was exhausted, that's the point of the drill. They're all tired after that. Personally, I think he was spent at the end and just fell to the ice when he was done, in a humorous way. Those Green bag skates are tough.  Juolevi is a smart player, great skater, he'll be fine.

Yeah, I gotta agree with Stawns and Nucker. It seems like some posters have never been through this before. It's really hard to know what's going on there from being in the stands or watching a clip. As Nucker pointed out he definitely gave it his all. He could have been dead tired and just fell on the ice to rest not knowing how silly it would look and have people immediately jumping to conclusions like we see here. I've done the same thing many times when giving it 100%. There usually aren't any rules about showing how tired you are when drills are done, especially in a bag skate. Some coaches will tell you to get the hell up but that isn't usually a reason to give up on a guy and kick him out of camp or anything.

• Like 1

Apparently it was easier for the rest of the team.....that's the issue.  Not saying it's easy.  I'm just saying it's a bad look for OJ when the rest of the team handled it better or at least didn't show it as badly. 

You can cool it with your "you guys don't have a clue".  Believe it or not, some of us have reached the point of puking a number of times due to overexertion / lactic acid excess.  Besides, you're overblowing this.  Go back to my original point.  I simply said this is a bad look for him and he's fighting for a spot.  The coach said himself that this was a test of how hard they worked in the summer. It's just too bad that due to tough circumstances that we haven't seen him come to camp in great shape yet and this earlier indicator was not a positive one. 

OJ will be playing on this team and I really hope he does well.  We need him to do well.  Are we supposed to talk rainbows and unicorns about the team at all times at all costs?!!!  I give credit when credit is due.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

So much lower end forward depth. Motte & Sutter are 4th line locks, then theres a ton of options;

Chiasson

Petan

Lockwood

DiGuiseppe

Highmore

MacEwen

Gadjovich

Dowling

Bailey

All guys that have played or could possibly play.

Even on the backend, consider the options for 6-7-8 & further depth;

Rathbone

Juolevi

Hunt

Schenn

Bowey

Keeper

Sautner

Brisebois

Again all guys that have played/could play.

And in net too - DiPietro is a great insurance policy as a #3.

Haven't had this depth throughout the lineup for some time. 

So if Hamonic is out do we go with Schenn and look to add another RD somehow or does a Chatfield or Bowey make it?

37 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Apparently it was easier for the rest of the team.....that's the issue.  Not saying it's easy.  I'm just saying it's a bad look for OJ when the rest of the team handled it better or at least didn't show it as badly. 

You can cool it with your "you guys don't have a clue".  Believe it or not, some of us have reached the point of puking a number of times due to overexertion / lactic acid excess.  Besides, you're overblowing this.  Go back to my original point.  I simply said this is a bad look for him and he's fighting for a spot.  The coach said himself that this was a test of how hard they worked in the summer. It's just too bad that due to tough circumstances that we haven't seen him come to camp in great shape yet and this earlier indicator was not a positive one. 

OJ will be playing on this team and I really hope he does well.  We need him to do well.  Are we supposed to talk rainbows and unicorns about the team at all times at all costs?!!!  I give credit when credit is due.

Yeah I can agree I've often come within a hair of puking after a long day of one timers on NHL97. :lol:

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Not sure if this was posted but it’s from Drance’s article at the athletic… Hank on OEL during the “bag skate” fiasco.  Drance was actually pretty bang on in the article about how the vets know what’s coming and pace themselves all day for it. 

If that's the case it's pretty **** as an activity. So the vets are 'taking it a bit easier' on technical and physical drills so they don't end up dying on the bag skate?

Isn't that the opposite of what a coach would want in training camp? Particularly on day one?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Olli will be fine, he just had an off day. He probably stayed up till 3:00am playing Fortnite

Hockey season is back so by the end of camp he should have his routines under control 

I want evidence!!!  ................ Actually on second thought, I don't want to know and don't want to see how you know he was doing this.  :lol:

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, brownky said:

If that's the case it's pretty **** as an activity. So the vets are 'taking it a bit easier' on technical and physical drills so they don't end up dying on the bag skate?

Isn't that the opposite of what a coach would want in training camp? Particularly on day one?

Off-season: recuperate and eventually resume light to moderate training.

Approaching end of off season: increase strength and conditioning activity/dry land training to prep for training camp.

Training camp: re-familiarize the body/muscle memory with NHL calibre practices and increase stamina/conditioning until back to game speed. Hence the name “training camp”.

It’s day 1 of camp. The reflexes and skills will return through practice. The bag skate (a great tool) at the end reminds the guys that the off-season is over and subconsciously it drives a pro athlete to shift gears mentally. It’s just as much a psychological tool as it is a current stamina/endurance assessor.

Nothing wrong with it.

• Cheers 1

Wow got to the point where watching and drawing grand conclusions from clips of bag skates.  You know we need hockey back when.

Context, yes that is important.  

Could also add that a player who spends more time training off the ice can come into camp in fantastic shape and need a few days to readjust the muscles to skating.  Seems reasonable thing for a vet with a longer training camp than usual to do knowing they will have more than enough time to adjust back to hockey specific fitness.  It is also probably mentally very refreshing to not focus on being on the ice all the time for someone who has been a pro as long as OEL.

Sometimes just takes a few days to get legs going even for pros.

Maybe, being a number one d that plays a lot of minutes has the experience to know not to blow everything on day 1 of training camp.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1