The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He’s played 3 seasons in the AHL and put up a point a game last season. He has nothing left to prove in that league.

He needs to be given a shot with the big club now. His mix of size skill and grit are just too good to give up on.

Losing him on waivers in order to give MacEwan or Bailey a spot would be beyond idiotic. Those two were given shots and would 100% clear waivers.

With Sutter out Miller can move to center and Dickinson can take the 4th line. I think we saw Green playing with that idea in practice.

Hoglander Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Podkolzin 

Chiasson Miller Garland 

Gadjovich Dickinson Lockwood/Highmore/DiGiuseppe

Those look like reasonable lines.   Just missing someone to dig the puck out of the corners/do the board work on the first line.  If you can see your way to swapping Hoglander and Podz, then you're talkin'! :)

Edited by Captain Canuck #12
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, ‹(•¿•)› said:

Not sure why anyone would be all butthurt about what Jack said. He said the Canucks were one of the worst teams in the league last season, which was factually true. They finished last in the Canadian division, which was arguably the worst division in the league.

Did you really expect him to rip his own brother's defensive game? Ridiculous...

"Yeah, I think Quinn had a really bad season last year, he has a lot to work on, he should probably just sign for league minimum, I guess."

While couldn't care less about Jack Hughes, he would have been wise to just saying 'no comment' on his brothers situation, or at least not try to drag down an organisation. 
In saying that, in the wise words of Eric Cantona at a press conference... 'When the seaguls follows the trawler, its because they're waiting for the sardines being thrown into the sea'.... 

The reason he was asked the question, was for some paper hack, to fuel the fire regarding QH....looking at all the responses, it seems like he succeded in doing so. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Not with us for 3 years probably. No room for him as a defenseman. 

He's still waiver free for another 2 seasons.   He just turned 21 this summer and the AHL level should go up this season without the taxi squads.  

• Cheers 2

57 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Things that would make me happy to see in today’s practice, and particularly in the scrimmage.

-A more forceful and engaged Podz. Played on the periphery somewhat in Scrimmage #1. Just relax and play kid.

-Dan Klim continuing to hold his own to show that perhaps he’s worthy of Abby. Don’t like the thought of him being sent to an outpost in Quebec. 

-Jett Woo bringing the truculence like a young Kevin Bieksa…with even better body checking.

-Hunt, Rathbone and OJ playing all out to show us who is worthy for a spot. Sure would like to see Rathbone lug the puck a bit more. Show is that skating young fella.

-Haven’t talked about it much but Big Jonah definitely looks a step quicker and is an impactful net front presence, with a goal last scrimmage to prove it.

-Lockwood has looked like an NHL player to me and I expect to see this again today. At worst he’s a first call up option from the Baby Canucks.

-I’ve liked Luke Schenn a lot and if he can clean up some of his small space bobbles in his own end, then i’d feel even better about him being a Hamonic replacement.

-The Arizona boys have been just OK in camp thus far, with Garland flashing a few times in the O-zone. OEL is smooth with the puck on his stick I’ll give him that but I’d like to see him stand out just a bit more. May just have to wait for preseason games to see that.

-This Di Giuseppe is a real dark horse. Guy looks legit to me and I’d like to see him keep it up.

- After what I’ve seen in camp thus far I’d be shocked if Hoglander had any sort of sophomore slump. Blowing people away in the conditioning skates shows me he’s not going to sit on his laurels from last years surprising performance.

-Thought Brock has a slow first day but yesterday he looked as fast as as dangerous as I’d ever seen him. More of that today please.

-Bo Horvat was probably the best player on the ice for me yesterday and given his character I just expect the same today from our Captain.

Ok, lets wrap up this Camp strong boys!

Your write-ups, and Vintage Canucks photos and sound bites, are all we fans need, that aren't watching camp in person. Great job!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

On 9/24/2021 at 2:59 AM, Locke Lamora said:

The bag skate is a very valuable tool to judge the cardiovascular fitness of the players. That’s why Travis Green swears by it. I suspect Garland and OEL will do better next year.

Performance is even timed.  MacIntyre on Sportsnet 650 says that Green values the intel and will pour over it with his staff.  He has all members of their technical staff out on the bench timing each player individually.

1 hour ago, Locke Lamora said:

Things that would make me happy to see in today’s practice, and particularly in the scrimmage.

-A more forceful and engaged Podz. Played on the periphery somewhat in Scrimmage #1. Just relax and play kid.

-Dan Klim continuing to hold his own to show that perhaps he’s worthy of Abby. Don’t like the thought of him being sent to an outpost in Quebec. 

-Jett Woo bringing the truculence like a young Kevin Bieksa…with even better body checking.

-Hunt, Rathbone and OJ playing all out to show us who is worthy for a spot. Sure would like to see Rathbone lug the puck a bit more. Show is that skating young fella.

-Haven’t talked about it much but Big Jonah definitely looks a step quicker and is an impactful net front presence, with a goal last scrimmage to prove it.

-Lockwood has looked like an NHL player to me and I expect to see this again today. At worst he’s a first call up option from the Baby Canucks.

-I’ve liked Luke Schenn a lot and if he can clean up some of his small space bobbles in his own end, then i’d feel even better about him being a Hamonic replacement.

-The Arizona boys have been just OK in camp thus far, with Garland flashing a few times in the O-zone. OEL is smooth with the puck on his stick I’ll give him that but I’d like to see him stand out just a bit more. May just have to wait for preseason games to see that.

-This Di Giuseppe is a real dark horse. Guy looks legit to me and I’d like to see him keep it up.

- After what I’ve seen in camp thus far I’d be shocked if Hoglander had any sort of sophomore slump. Blowing people away in the conditioning skates shows me he’s not going to sit on his laurels from last years surprising performance.

-Thought Brock has a slow first day but yesterday he looked as fast as as dangerous as I’d ever seen him. More of that today please.

-Bo Horvat was probably the best player on the ice for me yesterday and given his character I just expect the same today from our Captain.

Ok, lets wrap up this Camp strong boys!

So basically everyone go out there and… DO THAT HOCKEY! 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Ultimately, Olli Juolevi may have been the real victim of Thursday’s bag skate. The young defenceman visibly struggled, lagging well behind Garland in his group, and collapsed to the ice several times, lying on his back gasping for breath. It was significant enough that several veterans checked on him, then insisted that he get up off the ice.

Here's some thing we don't want to see again

Edited by Fred65

12 hours ago, Dirtman said:

We now have Hamonic, Schenn, MacEwen, Gadjovic, Myers, Podz. Even Pearson Miller and Horvat get into it. Our team isn't soft anymore.

Between new D coach, younger hungrier guys and a lot more team toughness, I'm so excited for the season.

Combine that with last year's disappointment and the boys wanting to prove themselves, I think we're in for some awesome hockey.

Those guys aren't very tough especially Pearson.

Overall the team is still soft but that's how JB built the team it is clearly about skill and speed.

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Overall the team is still soft but that's how JB built the team it is clearly about skill and speed.

what definition are you using? yes, none of them are Tom Wilson. What team in the Paciic is "tougher" than the guys dirtman posted? 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

There not goons you mean. Otherwise yes they're all tough players. Even Pearson. Tough along the boards and stands up for teammates. That's tough.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3