The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Signing) Rasmus Dahlin - 3 years 6M

70seven

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yes it certainly is.   Agree too the Dahlin ceiling is higher for sure, guys going to be on both special teams, can flatten guys and score goals etc.     He also was a calder finalist as an 18 year old.  

When this all started a lot of folks piped in and said a bridge for Quin in the 5-5.5 range was right around where it should be, given the cap won't be going up much at all over the entire thing, and that lines up better then (or at least similar too) McAvoy, Werenski, Chychrun, Sergachev etc - and those guys have better intangibles and defensive ability, not as much apple ability though/pkaymaking.    Six isn't much more, even 6.25 or 6.5 would be palatable but starting to encroach on not fair like Horvat and BB deals both were exactly.    Suspect given some "experts" have QHs bridge at around 7 that's likely where it will end up.   In this case i'd rather do a 7.75 x 8 deal and just put it all to rest.    If the ask is too ridiculous on a long term deal, and he wants 8.5-9.5 x 3 or something, at this point it would be fair to start working the phones on the sly a little.    That's not a cap structure that will help us win a cup.    Boston has always done well with their guys so maybe that's rubbed off on JB some.   Given what he had to deal with BB, at least he's been down this road before.   Had he given up on their demands we'd be Dubas'ing ourselves out of contention with lesser players.   

As far as EP goes we need him a lot more.   He's our game breaker.    Guys so good he moved to center as a rookie and is a legitimate top 40 league wide player, right in the middle of the pack already as far as first line centres (and just so nobody takes offense, that's around where Stamkos is ranked too, so don't bother), and has potential to win a Hart and some Art Ross's.    Still he also comes with risks.    I'd actually be fine with both on bridges, but think and hope they sign for 6-8 each.   Believe we have enough money for that.   Svecknikov, AHO, Barzal - pretty easy to buy up all his RFA years and a couple UFA ones with those examples.  EP even at  9 x 8 would still give us enough for QHs to get a massive bridge contract.   

Well thought out

But in saying that, I just don't get why we have to pay over market value?  Dahlin at 6M and Barzal at 7M, are just fine for bridges, if you want to add in a flat cap, then it is meager, maybe $250,000 more, but that is just to cover the excess housing costs. I mean that is the excess and that $250,000 per buys a pretty decent house over term, like what the rest of the world does.

The trouble with our fan base, is we actually believe these guys are the apex, and they are not, both have warts, and both need a kick in their reality.

No, I am not over paying.

Plus, if Petey wants a winning team, he better look past his own nose and understand what his demands will do to Benning's cap structure. Hughes? I love to watch his offense, but I am not as gaga as some on here. I wonder why they are called "defensmen"? Hmmm? The team is deeper, so Hughes defense should be supported more, but until he shows he can play both ends of the ice like a #1, then he should not be payed like a number 1. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Well thought out

But in saying that, I just don't get why we have to pay over market value?  Dahlin at 6M and Barzal at 7M, are just fine for bridges, if you want to add in a flat cap, then it is meager, maybe $250,000 more, but that is just to cover the excess housing costs. I mean that is the excess and that $250,000 per buys a pretty decent house over term, like what the rest of the world does.

The trouble with our fan base, is we actually believe these guys are the apex, and they are not, both have warts, and both need a kick in their reality.

Plus, if Petey wants a winning team, he better look past his own nose and understand what his demands will do to Benning's cap structure. Hughes? I love to watch his offense, but I am not as gaga as some on here. I wonder why they are called "defensmen"? Hmmm? The team is deeper, so Hughes defense should be supported more, but until he shows he can play both ends of the ice like a #1, then he should not be payed like a number 1. 

Pretty sure the issue with EP is more about term than money. I can understand that from both sides. If it's just about the money, I don't understand it that much from EP:s point of view as I'm quite sure he has a fair offer on the table.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Well thought out

Well your not the only one who feels that way.   I feel exactly the same way.   I love both these guys, as I do BB, who by the way, is pretty much equal to what both these guys have accomplished - it's like a new toy and the old ones get discarded - last year it was Hogs - this year maybe Podz/Garland/OEL/Rathbone and OJ..

As someone who's watched hockey since the late 80's but being around since the early 70's, i can say, that other then a few players,  only Bure and Linden started as good as BB, EP and QHs off the hop so get the excitement.   Personally feel they both need to be bridged given the risks involved - just like the Sedins were.  

Edit:  But would be happy to have EP on the books for 8 years - as long as it reasonable. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

@IBatch

@Googlie

Here is a question I want to pose. First of all, I believe in team first, and no one player is more important to the team. So let me pose this to you.

So, why if Hughes is terrible at even strength, is it imperative that he plays LHD at even strength? I mean his greatest impact is on the PP, and he has the ability to play RHD, so I suggest, moving Hughes to RHD, and sheltering him somewhat at even strength, the letting him lead the 1st PP unit.

This leads into the strength of the Canucks, allowing OEL to play 1st Pairing at even strength, and allowing Green the versatility of using either OEL or Rathbone on the LHD on the PP with Hughes, if he wants that configuration? 

Personally, Hughes in somewhat sheltered minutes until he learns better defense, would probably result in more points.

Just questions I pose to myself.....feel free to blast me, if you feel otherwise........hey, I asked!

• Huggy Bear 1

I really like the idea of moving 43 to the right side, it's not like he can be much worse defensively than he is on the left.  I noticed a couple of shifts last night where Myers let Rathbone play on the right side in the defensive zone and covered the front of the net while the puck was in the right corner.   This lets both defensemen play to there strengths and works with elite skaters like Quinn and Jack, who can get from one side of the zone to the other in a heartbeat.  43 gets abused in front of his own net so you want to minimize the amount of time he has to be there.  

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

@IBatch

@Googlie

Here is a question I want to pose. First of all, I believe in team first, and no one player is more important to the team. So let me pose this to you.

So, why if Hughes is terrible at even strength, is it imperative that he plays LHD at even strength? I mean his greatest impact is on the PP, and he has the ability to play RHD, so I suggest, moving Hughes to RHD, and sheltering him somewhat at even strength, the letting him lead the 1st PP unit.

This leads into the strength of the Canucks, allowing OEL to play 1st Pairing at even strength, and allowing Green the versatility of using either OEL or Rathbone on the LHD on the PP with Hughes, if he wants that configuration? 

Personally, Hughes in somewhat sheltered minutes until he learns better defense, would probably result in more points.

Just questions I pose to myself.....feel free to blast me, if you feel otherwise........hey, I asked!

Definitely worth considering... and would be very surprised, if it hasn't been considered, as possibility, ion QH still struggles in his own end.

• Cheers 1

On 9/27/2021 at 12:19 PM, Fan since 82 said:

I think that you and I agree on many things. I don't have a hockey background, I got into boxing at a young age and put all of my energy there. I personally don't criticize players because they're all a bazillion miles better than me. It really bothers me when posters call a player 'a piece of trash' or 'worthless' because yeah, maybe they're fringe NHLers, but they're people with feelings trying to live a dream and make some serious coin along the way. I have always liked the way you call people to be better when they're being overly critical.

Anyway, my comment wasn't a poke at you personally (even though I did quote your comment), just a statement on how anyone can say anything on here about their qualifications and nobody can really know for sure. 

That's the internet for ya!    :gocan:

5 minutes ago, AV. said:

His price went up.  Many here thought Dahlin would be a comparable.

But Dahlin is on a bridge that takes him straight to UFA status. Quinn is on a long term contract that takes him through a couple years of UFA status.

If Quinn signs short term the cap hit is likely similar to Dahlin's, and if Dahlin signs long term the cap hit is probably around what Quinn's is.

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

But Dahlin is on a bridge that takes him straight to UFA status. Quinn is on a long term contract that takes him through a couple years of UFA status.

If Quinn signs short term the cap hit is likely similar to Dahlin's, and if Dahlin signs long term the cap hit is probably around what Quinn's is.

Some people are under the impression that longer term equals less cap hit I think.

In reality buying you more UFA years equals a higher cap hit.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Some people are under the impression that longer term equals less cap hit I think.

In reality buying you more UFA years equals a higher cap hit.

*Unless you're older.

There's a reason (multiple in fact), that AP's contract is 'less' than say Nurse's. 

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, aGENT said:

*Unless you're older.

There's a reason (multiple in fact), that AP's contract is 'less' than say Nurse's. 

Of course if you’re older.

We’re talking about guys under 23 in their prime though. We’re not tacking on years where they won’t be productive. At some point during Hughes’ 6 year contract it will likely be under valued.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, AV. said:

His price went up.  Many here thought Dahlin would be a comparable.

If Quinn was on a 3 year contract like Dahlin, it would have been a similar contract. Quinn however is on a 6 year contract; thus, he's being paid more since he will have more time to improve.

This is standard in the league and completely normal. It was to be expected.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

If Quinn was on a 3 year contract like Dahlin, it would have been a similar contract. Quinn however is on a 6 year contract; thus, he's being paid more since he will have more time to improve.

This is standard in the league and completely normal. It was to be expected.

No, he'd still be higher.

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Pretty sure Dahlin will be an RFA at the end of his contract

6 hours ago, 22and33 said:

Pretty sure Dahlin will be an RFA at the end of his contract

You're right. Saw something that said was a UFA, but the math doesn't work and capfriendly has him as an RFA. Still,the point remains that his contract is short and doesnt eat any UFA years.