The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

18 minutes ago, McBackup said:

I'm not arguing either way in regards to Benning here but that's not exactly true. Teams don't demote executives but they will shuffle them away into some role with a fancier title and fewer responsibilities when they want to make a change but not outright fire them. We saw this most recently with Ken Holland in Detroit before he left for Edmonton. You can argue its not technically a demotion or that it's a ploy to get them to leave or whatever but as far as I'm concerned if they're directly diminishing your authority and scope on decision making you're being demoted.

Fair enough, but still, I don't think there's a whole lot of precedence for a GM being demoted to a scout throughout the league. You can correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't remember that ever happening. Contrast that to the number of team friendly contracts throughout the league, and there's a significant difference in precedent.

• Vintage 1

51 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

And? There is nothing contradictionary about that. 

You have a lot of examples when someone drafts good and then someone more diplomatic steps in and take over since drafting isn't the priority.

Now it's player management, HR, media etc... Bennings achilles heels. 

Who cares that he's not a blow hard in the media.   Who cares that these guys aren't signed yet either - if they were that would mean we paid too much.   It's a team sport, and i don't see why either guy should be getting 9.5-10% of our cap yet but probably will anyways.   Save it for that.   Then you can bellyache about how our real window, second contract ones that is - got slammed shut.   Just make sure you hit the correct targets.   Like Dubas.  Like Guerin..Chakya.... Like Sakic even.    Personally i'm happy he hasn't relented (yet) to ridiculous deals that both players will struggle to own up too.    If we were talking about gumming up the cycle with bad contracts previous to this - then yes i'd listen.   But this stuff is just silly.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

You know one of the things I always liked about hockey was unlike other sports the players weren't greedy, for the most part.  There was always a few here and there but it was few and far between.  This new generation though it's all about how much they can earn and how quick they can earn it.  It's a shame we now have the same spoiled brat attitude happening in the NHL that the NBA and NFL have had for years.  I remember in the past I would think, when good players got a nice raise wow good for them and now almost every contract I see signed I think that guys not worth that, that's crazy.

Edited by thrago
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

And? There is nothing contradictionary about that. 

You have a lot of examples when someone drafts good and then someone more diplomatic steps in and take over since drafting isn't the priority.

Now it's player management, HR, media etc... Bennings achilles heels. 

Why not hire someone to for those departments.  You are blinded by your nationalistic, Swedes are great and didn't like that Dahlen was not good enough for the NHL. He needs to lose his job. Waaaaaaaaa

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, thrago said:

You know one of the things I always liked about hockey was unlike other sports the players weren't greedy, for the most part.  There was always a few here and there but it was few and far between.  This new generation though it's all about how much they can earn and how quick they can earn it.  It's a shame we now have the same spoiled brat attitude happening in the NHL that the NBA and NFL have had for years.  I remember in the past I would think, when good players got a nice raise wow good for them and now almost every contract I see signed I think that guys not worth that, that's crazy.

I don't blame any player whatsoever for going after the best possible contract for themselves. As we've seen, in the past, players were able to hang on until their mid 30's, and could still perform in a league that had far fewer teams, now they're meat by the time they reach 28-30. The money is crazy, but, in a cap world, they're going after their share. We're not signing the cheques, and all of these kids make more in a month, than most on this board make in a year. Good for them, they are the best of the best in the World.

• Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

Do I have to say 200 foot player? 

Petey could have stayed up and wait for a pass without diving into defence. 

Really? Is that how they play hockey in Timra? Small wonder Dahlen likes it there. With mentality like that can Timra even win a game?

10 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

I don't blame any player whatsoever for going after the best possible contract for themselves. As we've seen, in the past, players were able to hang on until their mid 30's, and could still perform in a league that had far fewer teams, now they're meat by the time they reach 28-30. The money is crazy, but, in a cap world, they're going after their share. We're not signing the cheques, and all of these kids make more in a month, than most on this board make in a year. Good for them, they are the best of the best in the World.

You should cheer for TO. They have lots of high paid talent and no chance of ever winning a cup. Were you at that big protest saying you want Benning fired? Pay everyone all the cap money we can play with 3 players. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Well if things keep going the way they are now, which I expect it will.  We will be having another Lockout to look forward too when the CBA is over.  I think the next one will be the last for me, I wont watch after that.

• Cheers 1

Hahahah 

trading ep and or hughes is like telling boeser horvat Miller that we plan on being a loser for much longer

good luck keeping any of them.

not signing them and letting them sit Jb might as well be in the stands chanting “ fire Benning” with the rest of the crowd on opening night.  lol

The Canucks gambled that the flat cap and Covid would negatively impact player salaries and contracts they lost  that bet and they lost bad.

I find it funny the same folks defending a declining 30year old getting 7.2 mill for the next 6 years are against and blame the player from giving 8-9 mill for 22 year olds that haven’t reached the prime.

Market value has ep at 8-10 mill on a 3-8 year deal.

hughes 7-9 mill 3-8 year 

The media is going to have a field day if these two aren’t signed and we have all seen players that miss camp rarely have stellar seasons when they are signed and it sure builds an positive atmosphere moving  forward. 

• Wat 2

35 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Why not hire someone to for those departments.  You are blinded by your nationalistic, Swedes are great and didn't like that Dahlen was not good enough for the NHL. He needs to lose his job. Waaaaaaaaa

So what has this to do with I'm a swede? 

If you had said we have different culture you could have a point. But your argument is silly. 

1 hour ago, thrago said:

The shift to younger players came when mid age players were asking for too much cap.......young RFA players were used to replace them and tye league, imo, suffered because of it.  Now that young rfa players are demanding huge chunks of the pie I'm hoping it swings back to older, more experienced players getting more of those roster spots.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Dahlin at $6x3 is a good turn for JB.  Should put QH around $5x3 as Dahling is a better player

I feel like the players only take the High over the top contracts into consideration when they are negotiating, they will have all sort of excuses as to why this contract doesn't count.

33 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

You should cheer for TO. They have lots of high paid talent and no chance of ever winning a cup. Were you at that big protest saying you want Benning fired? Pay everyone all the cap money we can play with 3 players. 

What in hell are you talking about? Those two are the best players on this team period. Do you actually think they're going to get Matthews, Tavaras, or Marner money? Do you think they're going to sign for Boeser money, Miller money, Horvat money? Get serious.