The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

Just now, 204CanucksFan said:

That's fair. I'll take Hughes and his far higher natural ability, especially after a full season of having a better coach to teach him proper techniques and patience in the D Zone.

Far higher natural ability?  Dahlin was a no brainer 1st OA pick

3 minutes ago, Nuckin Kingsly said:

Dahlin is absolutely terrible defensively. The exact same flaws as Hughes. Besides size. He is consistently out of position and making wrong reads. His angles are poor and his offensive instincts are not as good as Hughes.

I've watched Buffalo a fair amount and I'd say his defence is more like OJ than QH.  He gets caught out of position, but overall he understands how to play in his own end and he's miles ahead of Hughes defending against the rush.  Not that he doesn't get beat, all young players do, but he's got the size and strength to compensate for mistakes.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, King Heffy said:

The issue isn't it being long-term, it's walking either directly to UFA without buying any extra years.  I don't care what the salary is; a structure like that is simply unacceptable and any GM that accepts it is an absolute moron.

Gotcha. Yes, I agree - either we retain the rights for another contract, or it's a LONG term contract.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Far higher natural ability?  Dahlin was a no brainer 1st OA pick

Hughes is a top 10-15 skater in the NHL, Dahlin isn't close to that level. Hughes also has higher hockey IQ, just needs proper coaching.

I'm not saying Dahlin isn't an exceptional young Dman, he is. Hughes has just performed far better on the ice, in my opinion.

Dahlin was the "no brainer 1st OA pick" because he had the one thing that you cant teach as an advantage over Hughes... size. And as history has shown time and time again in the NHL, drafting size over skill usually doesn't work out as well as you want it to.

1 minute ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Hughes is a top 10-15 skater in the NHL, Dahlin isn't close to that level. Hughes also has higher hockey IQ, just needs proper coaching.

I'm not saying Dahlin isn't an exceptional young Dman, he is. Hughes has just performed far better on the ice, in my opinion.

Dahlin was the "no brainer 1st OA pick" because he had the one thing that you cant teach as an advantage over Hughes... size. And as history has shown time and time again in the NHL, drafting size over skill usually doesn't work out as well as you want it to.

Dahlin wasn't drafted 1 OA because he's bigger.  I know a lot of scouts and though that would be a factor, it's way down the list.

Again, I think they're very comparable

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

Dahlin wasn't drafted 1 OA because he's bigger.  I know a lot of scouts and though that would be a factor, it's way down the list.

Again, I think they're very comparable

Predraft, Dahlin was touted as the complete package. 

His skating was exceptional. So was his hockey IQ and vision. 

His puck skills were at the top as well. 

Passing and shooting were great. 

Predraft Hughes edgework was exceptional. His vision and playmaking was exceptional. 

That being said, there were definitely flaws or question marks in Hughes game (shooting, defense, size) whereas Dahlin was the full meal deal. 

You don't lose those skillsets. 

I would take Dahlin over Hughes in a heartbeat. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Predraft, Dahlin was touted as the complete package. 

His skating was exceptional. So was his hockey IQ and vision. 

His puck skills were at the top as well. 

Passing and shooting were great. 

Predraft Hughes edgework was exceptional. His vision and playmaking was exceptional. 

That being said, there were definitely flaws or question marks in Hughes game (shooting, defense, size) whereas Dahlin was the full meal deal. 

You don't lose those skillsets. 

I would take Dahlin over Hughes in a heartbeat. 

I agree, though Hughes has narrowed the gap because of his offense.  Ultimately, unless he completely turns around his d game he'll never be in the upper tier of dmen

2 hours ago, thrago said:

You know one of the things I always liked about hockey was unlike other sports the players weren't greedy, for the most part.  There was always a few here and there but it was few and far between.  This new generation though it's all about how much they can earn and how quick they can earn it.  It's a shame we now have the same spoiled brat attitude happening in the NHL that the NBA and NFL have had for years.  I remember in the past I would think, when good players got a nice raise wow good for them and now almost every contract I see signed I think that guys not worth that, that's crazy.

Yep.  Compare Tavares to Mathews.   Or whomever.   What sort of cap did he take?  Not much really.    The league simple can't afford both RFA third contract deals - AND massive UFA ones at the same time.   Needs to be one or the other.   We as fans suffer the most.  Legit players get pushed out, and a lot of AHL level guys fill in.    Stupid thing is the NHLPA can fix this if they had a proper leader (player).   80% of the pie goes to a small minority.   And they hate escrow but buyouts wouldn't be needed if contract lengths were reduced by a couple of years.   No carrot paying third contract money with second deals.   GMs know they are in for it.   I will bet - with utmost certainty - that something is going to give and it will be the owners giving up more in the end again.   Can't see it working otherwise, the system needs a big kick in the ass. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

Don't know why the media or the "hockey analysts" are complaining about Benning not signing Petterson and/or Hughes first before signing the other players. I am not a Jim Benning fan btw but I applaud his move to not sign the big players first. 

Benning basically left all the decision making on Petey's and Hughes agent on how to split the $15-16 million between them cause they know how much money the Canucks have and if they truly want to stay in Vancouver and compete, they are forced to compromise because there is only a fixed amount of money. 

Bravo Jim

Totally agree with this. 

Imagine we missed out on Garland Dickinson OEL, Hamonic, Schenn and still had Roussel, Beagle, Loui because Jim was waiting for Hughes and Petterson to sign... Lol

Man we'd rake him over the coals...

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, FaninMex said:

Read back. There are rumors circulating that they want 9+. Would you sign them 10 mil? That makes us TO if they do.

There's a lot of speculation going around about what they "want", and it's exactly that, it's idle speculation. None of us have any knowledge of what has been proposed or rejected.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

Totally agree with this. 

Imagine we missed out on Garland Dickinson OEL, Hamonic, Schenn and still had Roussel, Beagle, Loui because Jim was waiting for Hughes and Petterson to sign... Lol

Man we'd rake him over the coals...

I thought the point of the OEL, Garland trade was to free up enough cap space so we could sign Petey and Hughes? Now there's even less money , and we still have to sign Brock at the end of this season.  Waiting for kaprisov may have ended up burning GMJB, not saying for sure but that's your petey comparison.  

4 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

I thought the point of the OEL, Garland trade was to free up enough cap space so we could sign Petey and Hughes? Now there's even less money , and we still have to sign Brock at the end of this season.  Waiting for kaprisov may have ended up burning GMJB, not saying for sure but that's your petey comparison.  

Trade also made our team better

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

I said points but you're right. Goals would be given a higher value

I just meant if you are solely looking at basic stats, and not underlying ones, Assists in the only thing Hughes wins in. Dahlin has more G, shots, better shooting %, all while getting (slightly) less ozone starts than Quinn on what I would argue is a worse team. 4x more hits too..

So to say that an arbitrator would give Quinn $7m if Dahlin at $6m was the main comparable doesn't make much sense

• Like 1