The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT - Preseason] Calgary @ Vancouver Monday, Sept. 27/21 7:00 PM Abbotsford Centre

Rate this topic

-DLC-

5 minutes ago, BPA said:

Why not keep 8 D men on the roster?  And 13 forwards plus 2 goalies.  That's still 23 full roster.

I'm for load management.  Especially D men who tend to log big minutes compared to forwards.

There will most likely be 8 Dmen. There will be one extra forward. Historically that’s the way this coaching staff likes to have it. Which makes these arguments of which defencemen fairly funny.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, BPA said:

Why not keep 8 D men on the roster?  And 13 forwards plus 2 goalies.  That's still 23 full roster.

I'm for load management.  Especially D men who tend to log big minutes compared to forwards.

We usually keep 8D.

If everyone plays it will probably be

OEL-Poolman

Hughes-Hamonic

Rathbone-Myers

OJ/Schenn

Edited by Junkyard Dog

54 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

People I find hilarious are the ones that thought they had a player all figured out.  The old stereotypes and tired first glance judgements. To have that player push back against their preconceived notions but then to have this new reality so nonchalantly dismissed like it didn’t happen.   Lol. Those people are hilarious.  

Looks like I hit a nerve lol. Hey Dazzle?  

3 hours ago, Devron44 said:

If Rathbone is the guy to get the 3rd LH S spot Joulevi can be the extra. Not really a big of a deal has people make it out to be.

Rathbone could get sent down initially too if we need to juggle things to avoid waiving other players. Injuries WILL HAPPEN to boot.

We are way over thinking this for the most part 

That Boot guy is always getting injured. Sammi Salo 2.0.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Not to be a dick but not all people of faith are anti-vaccine. I find it hilarious that as long as your in the majority bashing is perfectly fine here but if anyone with a conservative view says anything at all they get attacked on social media.

The irony of that considering the view the left has when it comes to rights makes it that much more hypocritical.

I'm Catholic and could care less but next time think before you attempt to sound funny and woke!

I call those types of people vaccine bullies or pro-do-whatever-the-government-tells-me-to-do-because-I'm-a-bootlicker. It's just an excuse to divide our society even more and it sickens me.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Qwags said:

OEL, Gadjovich, Rathbone, Garland, and Lockwood looked great. :)

My thoughts exactly.  

Some very excited and much needed fresh blood in our lineup this year. Poolman looked very steady as well. I think he plays the perfect type of game to compliment our offensively skilled left d-men. Smart signing by GMJB. 

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 2

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

There will most likely be 8 Dmen. There will be one extra forward. Historically that’s the way this coaching staff likes to have it. Which makes these arguments of which defencemen fairly funny.

Take out Hamonic and consider the likelihood of a couple of injuries soon and it's not so funny!

4 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This guy making the team, and playing in the top 9, given how crowded it's become, would be something awesome.    Team needs his grit and determination.   Still young too.   This year we could have  4/5 rookies make the team (or play some games) really, Podz, OJ, Lockwood, Rathbone and Gadj....sure would be something.    Rathbone is skilled enough to play LW as well...and one of OJ or Boner could play the right side too if need be.   Motte suffering with injuries opens the door a little wider too.    Team has sure gone a long way from the Megna/Chaput days lol...

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, FaninMex said:

Why are you pushing for Rathbone to make the team so much? Why not push for whoever makes the team better and be happy with who sticks?

I personally thing OJ will make it because of the team needs on the PK. I can see them both remaining on the team in a 6-7 role that switches off depending on team needs against a specific team

I like him, I think he’s always been an under appreciated underdog in Vancouver.   I think he’s a top 4 d any day of the week.  Him being on the 3rd pairing tells you how deep the Canucks are on the left side.  You can push who ever you like as well.  I think you’re right in that Juolevi will make the team and I still think he can be a top 6 d, but I just don’t think he’ll be able to beat Rathbone for the 6 spot here.  And I think he’s lost so much development already due to injuries it would cripple his career if he doesn’t get lots of icetime.  He’s sill young enough to be a late bloomer and be a good d for some other team.  I have no ill will for Juolevi, but Rathbone to me is just too exciting and dynamic a player to send down to the minors.   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

4 hours ago, Dazzle said:

:rolleyes:

I'm very excited for Rathbone, but you're guilty of doing the exact same thing of "figuring out" a player with such small samples. We have no idea how Rathbone will do with bigger opposition. Quite frankly, we don't know if he's a bust or not yet. Maybe we should rein in the enthusiasm a bit until he plays more games? The way that you're praising Rathbone, you might as well give him the Norris. :rolleyes:

Not really.  I’ve watched Juolevi since he was drafted back in 2016. He hasn’t gotten much better in those 5 years.  He keeps getting chance after chance but to see him rolling on the floor and Rathbone skating circles around him.  I just finally decided to move on.  I let my eyes tell me what I see, not my heart.  Sure I wanted Juolevi to live up to those 5th overall expectations but it doesn't look like he took the off-season very seriously. Some kids are given countless opportunities on a silver plater and other kids have to fight for just 1.  Rathbone has made the most of his opportunities, at least he looks like he cares about his career. 

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Dirtman said:

I'm sure Petey and Hughes will be back by the beginning of the season, but if not, I'm completely comfortable icing a lineup comprised of what's currently available. 

A lot of hungry young players is so nice to see. Every line is buzzing.

It's great to actually be in a position where we can ice a team that will be competitive without two of our best players. It has been at least a decade since we could say that lol.

• Cheers 3

5 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

i like rathbones' game but i dunno if the canucks can support having 2 tiny offensive pmd.. that both needs someone to babysit on the other side.. we don't have the baby sitter to pull it off.

He’s 5’11 190lbs. That’s not exactly tiny.  Height isn’t everything, look at Hoglander, he’s also 190lbs.  Then there’s Petey at 6’2 176 and Juolevi’s 6’2 183lbs.  People still put too much stocking height.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

He’s 5’11 190lbs. That’s not exactly tiny.  Height isn’t everything, look at Hoglander, he’s also 190lbs.  Then there’s Petey at 6’2 176 and Juolevi’s 6’2 183lbs.  People still put too much stocking height.  

The average weight of nhl defenseman in the league is almost 210.. 190 you are 20 pounds lighter than the avg.. so ya he is tiny..

51 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

5'11 190lb's of Rathbone was all it took to knock 6'4 220lb Brett Ritchie on his ass.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1