The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are JP Barry's tactics affecting your opinion of Petey and Quinn?

Rate this topic

JM_

Are JP Barry's tactics affecting your opinion of Petey and Quinn?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Are JP Barry's tactics affecting your opinion of Petey and Quinn?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

3 minutes ago, smokes said:

See that's where I see things backwards. He should have tried to resign Petey and Quinn as early as possible so they know how much money they can spend on FA's after that. The period where Petey was injured would have been a time to talk about contract extensions, instead Benning waited and ended up going into a market where comparables skyrocketed in salary. 

The catch might be that neither player was willing to sign early. It could be that if Benning had refused to sign any other deals, we would have lost out on all the other players (insert running out of time reference) by waiting on Hughes and Petey. He would've had more money to sign Hughes and Petey, but at the cost of the depth we've signed so far.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, McBackup said:

Just like we don't know whats actually being discussed right now, we don't know what was being discussed then. We know they were talking as far back as January, maybe those discussions never went anywhere. Maybe the players wanted to focus on the season. Maybe they weren't in the mood for extension talks with the disaster of a season we were having. I doubt Benning just completely put off contract discussions with them until after all the UFAs had been signed.

There were also a lot fewer off days.  I can completely understand the players not wanting to deal with the negotiations.  Pettersson's injury also complicated things.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, McBackup said:

Just like we don't know whats actually being discussed right now, we don't know what was being discussed then. We know they were talking as far back as January, maybe those discussions never went anywhere. Maybe the players wanted to focus on the season. Maybe they weren't in the mood for extension talks with the disaster of a season we were having. I doubt Benning just completely put off contract discussions with them until after all the UFAs had been signed.

Focus on what with Petey? He was injured for most of the second half of the season. 

1 minute ago, smokes said:

Focus on what with Petey? He was injured for most of the second half of the season. 

Exactly. We don't know. For all we know he was focusing on trying to rehab, or didn't want to negotiate while injured, or something else. We don't know. We didn't even know what the cap situation would be like or if we'd even be able to have fans in the arena this year. There are so many variables I don't think its fair to assume JB just put off the Quinn and Pettersson contracts until August.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Do you think he sheds Arizona's fourth line and Schmidt as easily if he does this?  The deals were both better than market value.

I agree, but that's fine with me.  I suspect Petey likely has similar priorities to Kesler.

I think those types of deals could have been done regardless. At the time of trading Schmidt, teams were well aware the Canucks did not have enough cap space to sign bot Hughes and Pettersson but somehow he ended up getting traded anyway. The Arizona deal was done because they wanted to shed OEL, if Benning wanted him so bad, he would have found a way to make it work regardless of having Petey and Hughes signed or not.

Just now, King Heffy said:

I'm not disagreeing.  Looks like both are likely working on this though, so I don't think anyone is actually wrong.

I hope you’re right. Barry seems much more willing to negotiate. Specifically the Barzal and Yamamoto deals stand out to me in recent history. 

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I'm not disagreeing.  Looks like both are likely working on this though, so I don't think anyone is actually wrong.

Does look like they both work together, but it looks to me like Brisson is the primary one for them and Barry may just be a co-worker who's also involved.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Does look like they both work together, but it looks to me like Brisson is the primary one for them and Barry may just be a co-worker who's also involved.

Considering they're bargaining two contracts mutually with the same team, I'm not surprised, this has got to be a very complex deal.

7 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

The catch might be that neither player was willing to sign early. It could be that if Benning had refused to sign any other deals, we would have lost out on all the other players (insert running out of time reference) by waiting on Hughes and Petey. He would've had more money to sign Hughes and Petey, but at the cost of the depth we've signed so far.

That's the part of Benning's management style that makes me suspect. He is not known to be a great players GM from past reports and I wonder if this can be more management's fault than the players. As a fan I would rather blame management than the players because one after seeing the players the past couple of years, it is hard for me to imagine them being really hard to negotiate with and two because Bennign has more control of this proccess then Petey or Quinn. So fans blaming the two just rocks my mind.

15 minutes ago, McBackup said:

I agree with the things you say but I just don't think Benning is a good negotiator. This contract issue is on him.

• RoughGame 3

10 minutes ago, McBackup said:

Exactly. We don't know. For all we know he was focusing on trying to rehab, or didn't want to negotiate while injured, or something else. We don't know. We didn't even know what the cap situation would be like or if we'd even be able to have fans in the arena this year. There are so many variables I don't think its fair to assume JB just put off the Quinn and Pettersson contracts until August.

There are lots we don't know but there are lots I do know. For instance there are many other GM's who are much better at handling players than Benning.

• RoughGame 3

7 minutes ago, smokes said:

That's the part of Benning's management style that makes me suspect. He is not known to be a great players GM from past reports and I wonder if this can be more management's fault than the players. As a fan I would rather blame management than the players because one after seeing the players the past couple of years, it is hard for me to imagine them being really hard to negotiate with and two because Bennign has more control of this proccess then Petey or Quinn. So fans blaming the two just rocks my mind.

Yeah, Benning is an awful guy letting key players go home in the middle of the season to take care of their families.  He also got Gagner assigned to a different AHL team to accommodate him.  

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, smokes said:

I agree with the things you say but I just don't think Benning is a good negotiator. This contract issue is on him.

For UFAs I'll agree. I think he gets his heart set on whatever shiny new toy hits the market and overpays to make sure he doesn't miss out.

For RFAs he's actually done a pretty good job. The Boeser, Horvat, Garland, Dickinson, Demko etc contracts all look pretty good from a Canucks perspective. If the contract issue is "on him" I guess that's technically correct, as it's his call not to acquiesce to whatever the players are demanding.

Edited by McBackup