The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are JP Barry's tactics affecting your opinion of Petey and Quinn?

Rate this topic

JM_

Are JP Barry's tactics affecting your opinion of Petey and Quinn?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Are JP Barry's tactics affecting your opinion of Petey and Quinn?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

2 minutes ago, rawkdrummer said:

it can only take this long to get them signed is because they're working on long term contracts.

Short term deals could of easily been done by now.

Maybe waiting for Hamonic to decide (tomorrow) whether he’s going to play this season, so there’s an extra 3 mil to buy more UFA years?

Edited by Alflives

Depends on whether or not they sign fair deals. If the deals are overpriced then absolutely. It's not your fault directly, but you own the responsibility of saying yes or no to what your agent draws up for you. I know that for sure, without a doubt, if I were in Hughes or Petey in this situation, I would have not held out like this. 

Especially disappointed in Petey because I think the fan base has taken him in with open arms and it almost seems like a slap in the face that it seems like a real business decision. With Hughes I can kind of get why he'd hold out, hearing that they low-balled him and he's been raked over the coals for his defensive play last year so I can understand some animosity. 

Overall though, all will be forgiven if they sign good contracts. If they don't, I'll have them in my persona AV Doghouse. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

Just now, Warhippy said:

Yes.  Agents in general are.

Players are refusing to accept a hand in or take a hand in their own negotiations.  Agents are essentially telling them "we can get you max value and it won't cost much, maybe pre-season or a few regular season games; but someone will pay you what you're worth $$$"

This allows or gives these kids the belief that these agents have their best interests at heart when the truth is it's all about the commission.

It's no different than these real estate agents that have helped hyper inflate the market by telling owners they can get max value or over value for their homes.  Owners then trust these snakes to get them the most they possibly can before reinvesting that mindset and pushing the actual value higher.

For every person who says GMs can not control themselves which will lead to another lockout, there is a person forgetting that player agents are without question as much or more of the problem by forcing average RFAs to hold out for ever higher contracts while ignoring their veteran player contracts

I miss the agents like Burke who were straight shooters and cared about the players as people.  They were a minority back then, but they did exist.

• Vintage 1

I'm actually opposite on this one Jimmy. I do blame the kids on this one. It's one thing if you're a 26 or 28 year old superstar holding out for some big bucks on a well established team. Those guys can miss time, get back into the swing of things and immediately gel with their team and get the team moving in the right direction. They've also earned the right to make demands which negatively affect others by putting in the time and being a veteran of the league. In our case these kids are missing not only valuable time for themselves but more importantly for the rest of the team to form around them, especially new players, i.e., Quinn's new partner. 

In my opinion they are doing themselves a disservice by not being out there. I guess Barry is to blame for not pointing this out but in reality he isn't a professional hockey player and he doesn't know these finer points exactly or understand hockey how Petey and Quinn do. That's their job. At the end of the day J.P. gets his money while the Canucks and the kids pay the price. I would also shoulder blame on the other parties involved that are influencing these decisions. Where are their parents or those they can trust on this?

Also, at the end of the day the kids are the ones that hired this guy and ultimately the decision is theirs's. By law the offers have to be presented to them so they are the reason they're sitting on the sidelines. Unfortunately 20 year olds are notorious for making poor and inexperienced decisions.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I've heard stories where player and agent agree to the acceptable terms before entering negotiations and after that the player has little or nothing to do with the process other than signing off.  I've also heard where players are involved in every single aspect from conference calls to actually bargaining the finer details. 

Without knowing each players actual involvement in the process it'd be pure speculation to make judgments on these kids in my view. 

• Upvote 1

Wasn't it Nerlens Noel in the NBA that is suing his previous agents for not landing deals for him, or withholding deals he would have taken had he known. Agents are schemy. It's in their best interest to make the most money for you since they get the most money for themselves. 

Meh. These players are great. There's a business side to these decisions. What they do now could potentially effect their lives after hockey. No one knows how long their careers are going to be. Overall it needs to work for the team and player. If they get injured this season and just signed for the sake of signing Barry probably would be scrutinized for that decisions effecting his potential business later. 

I love hockey and the players. They want to be here, the team wants them here; we just need a mutual agreement so we can move on.

• Like 2

Barry doesn't care about the players being with their teams, building relationships and fighting for a common goal. He only cares about getting as much for the players, so he gets paid as much as possible. I blame this idiot for causing disruption in the Canucks season. 

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Barry doesn't care about the players being with their teams, building relationships and fighting for a common goal. He only cares about getting as much for the players, so he gets paid as much as possible. I blame this idiot for causing disruption in the Canucks season. 

It could also cause a hit to their endorsement money if they end up tarnishing their reputation with the fans or get traded to an undesirable location.

• Vintage 1

Dunno why here we are criticizing agents for doing their job: maximize value for their client. If Pettersson's camp wants to argue they are closer to what Eichel is getting (10mil) and Hughes' camp wants to argue they are closer to what Makar is getting (9 mil) they are well within their rights. It is up to Benning's abilities to ride this through. 

39 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'm curious where people stand on this.

For me, I blame Barry for being willing to create a lot of potential animosity with his hardball tactics. I don't blame the kids at all, its a massive decision that very few people of that age could handle on their own.

But i also get that people don't like the situation and could be causing people to sour on the kids. Curious what the split on this is.

I don’t begrudge Barry too much, considering that his clients pay him to get the best deal possible for him.  Barry has a financial incentive to get the best deals for his clients.  At the end of the day, Barry has to do whatever his clients want.  If Petey and Hughes want to get paid, then Barry has to do whatever it takes to make it happen.  If Petey and Hughes would rather take a bit of a discount in order for the team to have more money to build a contender, then Barry will have to respect those wishes as well.

The Petey and Hughes thing will get resolved. Boeser went through this in 2019.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1